Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 05:36 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
He will take office,we know that already.

There is a Republican House and Senate,so of course they will go along with it.
It is their plan after all.
Some version of the Affordable Care Act was a Repub plan too.

Maybe their plan would have allowed for a greater portion of Americans to be included?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 07:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It has been so long since the last time I paid into Income Taxation, I tend at assume that other people like filing taxes. In fact most people do not. So yes you caught me.

If you work Minimum-Wage and your single and you insist on only using a EZ-form [becuase it is EZ]
, then sure a small portion of your income may be subject to taxes.

47% do not pay income taxes, and this is not the wealthy folk.

??? ??? ??? ???

How, exactly, would a minimum wage earner benefit by filing a tax form OTHER THAN EZ?

As a minimum wage earner I've never had any adjustments to income - e.g. no IRA contributions - or any tax credits, so I don't see a bottom line cash difference with 1040(A) or EZ.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Are you serious?

Do you want to see 13 yr olds married,working,and parents?

I started making money shoveling snow around town when I was 10, and was 12 when I had my first paper route.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ???

How, exactly, would a minimum wage earner benefit by filing a tax form OTHER THAN EZ?

As a minimum wage earner I've never had any adjustments to income - e.g. no IRA contributions - or any tax credits, so I don't see a bottom line cash difference with 1040(A) or EZ.
Learn to use a Schedule A, C, D, E, F, R, or any of the forms.

Learn to itemise.

I have used a wide of schedules and forms in my tax filings. Nearly all of them are used to lessen your income tax burden.

If you are earning Minimum-Wage, you make the same that I make.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Learn to use a Schedule A, C, D, E, F, R, or any of the forms.

Learn to itemise.

I have used a wide of schedules and forms in my tax filings. Nearly all of them are used to lessen your income tax burden.

If you are earning Minimum-Wage, you make the same that I make.

Oh this is priceless.

In what universe do you see minimum wage earners with interest, dividend, rental, or farm income?

I've used Sch C and SE but that's all. So I did get to use expensing but I don't think i'll ever be able to profitably itemize.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Oh this is priceless.

In what universe do you see minimum wage earners with interest, dividend, rental, or farm income?
I find myself repeating my words to you, yet again.

I bought my first apartment complex when I was earning Minimum-Wage in 1985. Granted over the course of my career, I collected a few properties. We sold off all of our rental properties when I retired. Now that I am in my retirement I am on pension that equals Minimum-Wage.

Today, I am in the process of refurbishing a rental property. That I closed on 4 November. I hope to again have rental income flowing mid to late 2017.

Personally I do not invest in stocks, but I know a lot of people who do.

I file a Schedule F every year.

Quote:
... I've used Sch C and SE but that's all. So I did get to use expensing but I don't think i'll ever be able to profitably itemize.
Truer words can not be spoken.

Self-fulfilling prophecy like that is pretty much carved in stone. Such words are the nails to a coffin.

You insist that you will never itemize, and I am sure that you will not.

A horse can not be forced to drink, nor can a starving man be forced to eat.

Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man. Proverbs 6:10-11

Hide your hand in your lap, don't bother to bring food to your mouth. Proverbs 19:24

Old 11-29-2016, 08:34 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Are you serious?

Do you want to see 13 yr olds married,working,and parents?
Married and parents no, but I do think they should be allowed to work if they want to. I think banning all employment just because of abusive practices during the Industrial Revolution is both outdated and an infringement on rights. If you want to avoid work abuse, ban the abuse, not the work. I do think it is fair to set minimum academic standards though (i.e. a 2.0 GPA) to avoid the work being at the expense of school.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:15 AM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
You are the Taxphd, what form do you prefer to use?
You claimed that low income taxpayers used the EZ form because it was easy. The implication is that there is a better alternative. It is your claim, not mine.

So, what form should those low income taxpayers use, and how would it benefit them?

Old 11-29-2016, 11:21 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Itemized deductions are always tossed around as this magical thing, but are very dependent upon your state and your other investments and personal conditions.

I personally don't itemize because I don't pay enough in interest or fees otherwise to pass the standard deduction, which though in the past was pretty low, it's much more reasonable now, especially if you are married.

Modern tax forms and tax software can easily compute the differences between standard and itemized deductions. However, you can usually file a 1040EZ for free but a 1040 costs from $40-$200 if you are not a tax professional. So it's worth taking the cost into account vs the gains.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:42 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
Yeah, it kind of a premature elaboration, or worry, if you will. Calm down folks. Wait for the new government world to unfold. Then you can scream, Oh, my gawd, the world is ending. Very premature at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
This is the tax plan that doesn't exist because he hasn't taken office, right?

And would have to be approved by next year's Congress, that hasn't been sworn in yet.

And it's being discussed like it's a fact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance