Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 07:09 PM

27 posts, read 22,771 times

Advertisements

I need you finance guru's to shake me back into reality.

I currently have a car (fiat) that is perfectly fine. Just reached 60,000 mile mark. Recently serviced and detailed to celebrate the new mileage milestone. I've only had the car to 2.5 years. Not sure how i put on so many miles. My work is 15 miles round-trip and I haven't done any road trips. go figure. I love driving that car though.

So while i was at the dealership i was "convinced" to get a new car. Trade-in for my current one is 6400. They are trying to sell me same model, different color (w/ heated seats and nav) msrp 20,395. With all discounts applied I would have to finance or come up with 15,342.

The wrinkle is i am moving out of the country so i have to get an expedited title to go along with the purchase which they are willing to provide. I'm concerned about shipping this new vehicle overseas without really driving it. If something went wrong I couldn't just take it back or go to service. I don't even know if the basic warranty is valid in germany. I can afford to pay cash for the vehicle, but should I.

I signed the paperwork to purchase the car, but not taking possession until the title question is cleared up. So I have until thursday to truly cancel the purchase. Should I just stick it out with my current car and maintain it as much as I can while abroad.

That shiny new car is so tempting, but I love my car and the color. I have an addiction to new cars. This would be my third new car in 3 years. I need therapy. Advice please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 07:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,873,050 times
Three new cars in three years! Either you are wealthy and can afford to indulge your car 'affairs' ... or you are buying something other than cars (and apparently not getting what you are hoping for).

In either case, you posted this in the personal-finance forum which typically focuses on financial issues. Perhaps you should post this in the 'intervention' forum.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:35 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,694,626 times
Question is: can you afford new cars every year?

If you're well off then I guess don't sweat it....

If you aren't... then you seriously need to deal with it, man!

Old 11-26-2016, 07:35 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,575,083 times
a 2.5 year old fiat is only worth $6,400 at trade in? And you are looking at another Fiat?

buy one over sea, pretty sure Germans drive on the other side of the road, meaning the drivers seat is also on the other side.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:48 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,911,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
a 2.5 year old fiat is only worth $6,400 at trade in? And you are looking at another Fiat?

buy one over sea, pretty sure Germans drive on the other side of the road, meaning the drivers seat is also on the other side.
Continental Europe is same side as North American; it's the English who do it 'wrong side'.

How long are you going to be in Germany? If it's going to be a few years and it won't kill the budget, I'd use it as an excuse to spend some time driving an interesting vehicle that isn't sold in NA. Have some fun playing with a Vauxhall or Skoda or Puegeot or some other car brand exotic to American buyers.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:25 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,203,123 times
I won't address the "can you afford it, does it makes sense etc.".

Shipping a brand new car overseas? I don't recommend it. What are you going to do if the car arrives damaged? Handling a claim from overseas is a lot different than handling it here in the US.

If you're set on buying a new car with a European factory, look into a "European delivery". It used to be very popular when the cost pretty much paid for the trip to Europe; don't know if that holds true now. However, if you're going anyway, that shouldn't be an issue.
Maybe you want to try another European car, as was suggested by another poster; that isn't such a bad idea either

Old 11-26-2016, 10:46 PM

No i'm not independently wealthy, but I can afford to buy what i want when I want within reason. And yes the reason why i had three cars in three years was due to indecision. I bought a toyota scion because i wanted something different and hated the car within a few days. Switched it out for a corolla and really didn't mind driving it. Made the mistake of going to the fiat dealership and that is all she wrote. I love that car. I wanted one a few years back and never pulled the trigger.

I've actually decided not to buy the newer fiat after much good nature yelling from SO. The new car smell is so intoxicating.

Germans drive on the same side of the road as NA. I never drive when visiting the UK. The thought of accidentally hitting someone keeps me on the bus and rail.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:06 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,187,163 times
So you have no self control? Then you know the answer to the question.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:25 AM

@Jaypee - Really I didn't realize I had no self control. You are so insightful.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:54 AM

564 posts, read 874,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serino78 View Post
No i'm not independently wealthy, but I can afford to buy what i want when I want within reason. And yes the reason why i had three cars in three years was due to indecision. I bought a toyota scion because i wanted something different and hated the car within a few days. Switched it out for a corolla and really didn't mind driving it. Made the mistake of going to the fiat dealership and that is all she wrote. I love that car. I wanted one a few years back and never pulled the trigger.

I've actually decided not to buy the newer fiat after much good nature yelling from SO. The new car smell is so intoxicating.

Germans drive on the same side of the road as NA. I never drive when visiting the UK. The thought of accidentally hitting someone keeps me on the bus and rail.
Some believe you can afford it if you can afford the payments. For me, you can only afford it if you have a fully funded retirement, no debt and can pay cash. It is your choice as to how you want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance