Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:09 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times

Advertisements

So, I have a 401K from my old job that has a bulk of my retirement in it. It has been losing money. But of course no money is going into it so I am not buying anything low.

Should I let it sit around or should I just shove it all into stability of principle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 11:32 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Since you have left your job, you can take the 401k and roll it over into an IRA with a mutual fund company such as Fidelity or Vanguard. This would give you other options as to how to invest this money. If you're worried about the economy getting worse, you might want to think about a US Treasury bond fund. You won't make much money but you won't lose any either.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:43 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
It all depends on how old you are...and when you want to retire...

Old 03-03-2008, 12:52 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
Move it into a Fidelity no-fee Rollover IRA and just dump it into Fidelity Cash Reserves. It pays around 5% APY which is good enough because the market right now is terrible and only going to get worse this year. Once we're out of the recession then you can reinvest in some mutual funds.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:58 AM

231 posts, read 630,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Move it into a Fidelity no-fee Rollover IRA and just dump it into Fidelity Cash Reserves. It pays around 5% APY which is good enough because the market right now is terrible and only going to get worse this year. Once we're out of the recession then you can reinvest in some mutual funds.
This is market timing and generally leads to lower returns. A better idea would be rollover to Vanguard or Fidelity or other low cost provider. Allocate the funds into a diversified portfolio consisting of equity funds, some bond funds and a cash account. Have the equities pay dividends and some capital gains into bond funds. Have bond funds pay monthly dividends into cash. This approach over time will lead to a nice cash account, backed up by monthly contributions from the bonds which grow every year because the equities are dumping dividends into the bonds.

You probably don't want to leave it in a company account because many 401(k) plans have high fees. And unfortunately, these fees are usually not disclosed.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:23 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
If I could reliably answer that question my phone would ring off the hook with Washington bigwigs and The Donald wanting my advice.

But, if you move your 401k shares out of de-valued stocks, you do two things:

1 lock in the current level of loss.

2 prevent further losses.

Only you can decide if #2 outweighs #1.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,650 times
99% of those with 401ks or other mutual funds have lost a ton of money, generally in the 30 to 40% range and most of those losses occurred subsequent to October 2007. Your funds have lost money because the cost per share has gone down which means if you sell now you are selling low. That is the reverse of common sense. You want to sell high. I for one am leaving my 401k right where it is. It will go up again assuming history repeats itself. I have only lost money on paper, but selling now will "lock in the current level of loss" (M3MItch). I don't want to guarantee my loss by selling now.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:23 PM

231 posts, read 630,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
<snip>I for one am leaving my 401k right where it is. It will go up again assuming history repeats itself. I have only lost money on paper, but selling now will "lock in the current level of loss" (M3MItch). I don't want to guarantee my loss by selling now.
Most 401(k) plans have higher fees than a low cost provider like Vanguard. So rolling over into a Vanguard (or other low fee provider) IRA makes sense if for no other reason than to reduce fees. As far as selling, you will probably want to rebalnce the funds. Most 401(k)s do not have great choices, so when rolling over, take advantage of the larger selection available.

On this note, in order to have a selection beyond what is offered by a single vendor, you will need to rollover into a discount brokerage firm like Scottrade or eTrade. If you rollover into the Vanguard family, you are limited to only the Vanguard funds. While Vanguard (or Fidelity or ??) is a reputable firm, they do not have the best selection for every asset class. For portfolio diversification, you will need to select from several different firms and this can only be done with via a brokerage account.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:37 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and take the loss.

I already had 50% of my 401k in fixed interest but I lost 40% of the other 50% which was split evenly between small cap and large cap.

Yesterday I put everything in cash equivalents. I did this because I believe the risk of the market going down further is much higher than the chance of it going up. Earnings season is upon us and it will not take many bad reports to drop the market another 500 points. On the other hand, I just don't see any potential good news out there which will lift the market 500 or 1000 points anytime soon.

My plan is to revisit my allocations in 3 months and then in 6 months.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:55 PM

931 posts, read 3,803,215 times
Roll over the 401k to an IRA at your local bank.

I have mine at E-Trade and they will allow you to buy stocks, mutual funds and CDs with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance