Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 10:11 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,686,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post

The reality is the OP isn't even addressing the debt load so a strict x/y plan would be necessary IMO.
My point is that you don't think OP's being serious or serious enough, but making the lifestyle changes that OP's proposing is a lot of change at once. Accepting full responsibility for laundry and meal preparation is a big change if you haven't done it, or done it much. Changing your eating habits is a big deal.

Also where OP is at this month may not be where they are at even next month.

It's that nuance thing.. maybe the OP needs to glide into it.

It definitely was how it worked for me. It probably was a three year process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 10:12 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,860,659 times
First, it sounds like you are doing better than most. Even though you have some debt, your lifestyle doesn't sound extravagant or wasteful. Plus, most importantly, you are actually paying your bills and saving some money for the future. Doing the right thing is not always easy - and it sounds like you are trying.

In reality, many, if not most, young people spend all of their money, but few have a lot to show for it - nor do they develop the self-discipline and practice of living within their means - as you seem to be doing. The difference is that in a few years, you will be making more money and will have paid down some of your bills -- and will also have better control over your life. At this point, I would suggest that any raises or bonuses you receive be set aside, rather than spent.

It seems like the real issue here is not money, but, your attitude toward yourself and adulthood. The key to both is to develop a picture of where you want to go in your life ... and a plan to make that happen. For example, if you are saving toward your own home, it will give you a better sense of what you are doing, than simply trying to move out of your parents home (this is only an example, not advice). Without substantive goals, it is often difficult to see the point of what one is doing to move ahead in their life.

Finally, for a young man to place tithing first on your list speaks to a level of faith most who think tithing is simply about giving money to the church ... cannot grasp. Most imagine that they should live their lives for themselves and 'give God whatever is left over.' As Malachi 3:10 states and you have apparently learned, you can't outgive God! -- As you know, tithing is not about "making sure God and His true church do not run out of money, but, about you and the priorities in your life.

Take a deep breath, stop looking at the 'stuff' an unhappy world insists you must have to be 'happy' - and use this opportunity in your life to learn to trust God in the mist of a confused and aimless world (to walk by faith and not by sight). Remember, true and lasting faith grows out of learning to trust God in the midst of difficulties and obstacles. God knows the desires of your heart (He placed them there!) and knows how to satisfy them with things of lasting value. The world is clueless in this respect and imagines they can 'spend their way out of debt and into peace and contentment.'

You are doing fine - The worry, fear and anxiety are in you, not in your bank account or the world around you. Allow the Lord to continue to guide your journey into adulthood and pay less attention to the expectations of others. If you are faithful in these little things at the beginning of your adult life, God will put you in charge of greater things as you grow.

Last edited by jghorton; 03-06-2017 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-06-2017, 10:13 AM

26,196 posts, read 21,651,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShine86 View Post
1. So I went back and re-read my post and I can see how you would think that I meant that I was cutting eating out in half. I wasn't clear enough, I guess. My bad. I meant that I would cut my grocery(food) bill in half. $60 a month. No eating out. Period.

2. How should I go about addressing the debt load?
If I cut back on everything that I said I would, my extra saving will first go towards paying off my smaller student loan.
You should focus on cutting your expenses and raising your income. Tithing has to go if you are serious about getting right side here. Whomever it is that you believe in I'm sure wouldn't want you to carry those student loans unpaid and growing, surely there is some other option religiously than giving away money while your burden is growing. Give your time to the church instead

Find a better paying job or get a second job.

If you want to get rightside up that's it

Old 03-06-2017, 10:15 AM

26,196 posts, read 21,651,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
My point is that you don't think OP's being serious or serious enough, but making the lifestyle changes that OP's proposing is a lot of change at once. Accepting full responsibility for laundry and meal preparation is a big change if you haven't done it, or done it much. Changing your eating habits is a big deal.

Also where OP is at this month may not be where they are at even next month.

It's that nuance thing.. maybe the OP needs to glide into it.

It definitely was how it worked for me. It probably was a three year process.
The OP doesn't have years they have a year. We ain't got time for a glide path

Old 03-06-2017, 10:15 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,860,919 times
I won't ever understand tithing when you are that broke...

Give to the church so they can grow or help the poor when the OP IS the poor?

If it's to "spread the word" then I would imagine your time is far, far more valuable.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I volunteer for a young adult cancer charity reviewing grant applications, and the number of people who are asking us to help feed their children or help with medical bills but still give 10% of their income to their church is heinous. Where is the church in helping them get back on their feet, I wonder? My synagogue wouldn't accept money from people in those situations. It doesn't feel at all bad to immediately turn down their application, but it is very entrenched in some faiths. The OP should be volunteering instead, which also may help secure higher income by making connections.
Oh, don't get me wrong.. I didn't give my personal opinion about tithing. I would feel no pain in turning down the grant applications either and I would probably include a boilerplate message about why their application wasn't at all considered.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The OP doesn't have years they have a year. We ain't got time for a glide path
I didn't realize that the OP only had a year...

Old 03-06-2017, 10:21 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShine86 View Post
I'm 30 years old and I don't know how to adult. I moved in with my parents in January for a year and they make me pay bills. I haven't saved a dime. (I know I suck as a person because of this. )

Some background info:

I make about $2300 a month. The problem is, I have about $26,000 of student loan debt.

Navient - $3,500 - 6.8%
Nelnet - $22,500 -6.8%

**Navient is in deferment until May and Nelnet is in forbearance until August.

I also have a car loan of about $21,000. My car was bought new. It is a 2015 Honda Civic. I have to drive a lot for work, so I needed something reliable.

Car Loan - $21,000 - 1.9%

I have really good credit: 740

That's all concerning my debt.

My monthly expenses starting in April will be:

$240.00 - Tithes
$400.00 - Car Note (It's actually $374, but I pay the extra $26 to make it an even $400.)
$400.00 - Rent for parents
$$115.00 - Car Insurance
$140.00 - Gas
$120.00 - Food
$135.00 - Cell phone
$25.00 - Life Insurance
$22.00 - Gym (My parents live in a pretty rough neighborhood, so walking around outside for exercise isn't an option.)
$10.00 - Job fee
$100.00 - Dry cleaners
$200.00 - Dental (Saving to have major dental work done)
$200.00 - Saving for moving out
$80.00 - Navient
$110 - Nelnet

This virtually leaves me no room for anything. I live paycheck to paycheck. I literally feel like I'm drowning and I've lost many nights of sleep over this.

Someone, please help me.
Others have comment on a bunch of stuff so I'll stick with dry cleaners. Even if you're talking suits, they don't need to be dry cleaned every week and it is actually bad for them. I do hope you're laundering your own shirts and not taking them to the dry cleaners.

Oh - dental - why are you paying for life insurance and yet you don't have dental insurance? If the dental work you want done is purely cosmetic (or 90% cosmetic - and don't kid yourself) then it is OFF the table until you get a lot more of your debt paid down.

Be sure you get a roommate when you move out or you'll be in the same or worse position than you are now.

And don't ever buy another new car unless you can pay cash...and even then, it's a ripoff - get something 2-3 years old and you'll save a bundle. Don't think only new cars are reliable - that's really trying to justify an unnecessary purchase.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 AM

15,878 posts, read 21,483,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Oh - dental - why are you paying for life insurance and yet you don't have dental insurance? If the dental work you want done is purely cosmetic (or 90% cosmetic - and don't kid yourself) then it is OFF the table until you get a lot more of your debt paid down.
Again, keep in mind that dental insurance typically does not cover implants (OP indicated he needs 2) and even with decent insurance, major work can still cost a significant amount of money depending on how much of the bill after insurance you are responsible for. I pay extra for the "good" dental plan at work (which is better than many of my peers), and I still have to pay at least 20% of anything other than cleanings and there's absolutely no coverage for implants. You can say implants are purely cosmetic, but they impact bite and keeping other teeth from shifting around. A bridge can often serve as a replacement, but then you're out more money in the long run having to replace the bridge every 10 years or so. Having missing teeth can impact career prospects.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:24 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,430,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Dental doesn't need to stay? It can be significantly more difficult to find a job if you are missing a lot of teeth.

Bad teeth, broken dreams: Lack of dental care keeps many out of jobs - NBC News
You need teeth but may not need to put $200 away each month. Now that I read it is for implants thought that changes things.

Quote:
I volunteer for a young adult cancer charity reviewing grant applications, and the number of people who are asking us to help feed their children or help with medical bills but still give 10% of their income to their church is heinous. Where is the church in helping them get back on their feet, I wonder? My synagogue wouldn't accept money from people in those situations. It doesn't feel at all bad to immediately turn down their application, but it is very entrenched in some faiths. The OP should be volunteering instead, which also may help secure higher income by making connections.

People should also remember that dental insurance typically does not cover implants, and those can easily be $5000+ a pop.
That is horrible and why I lost respect for so many churches. I would much rather help the people in need but I also don't want to help them support their church. Makes charity a tough decision.

Quote:
Again, keep in mind that dental insurance typically does not cover implants (OP indicated he needs 2) and even with decent insurance, major work can still cost a significant amount of money depending on how much of the bill after insurance you are responsible for. I pay extra for the "good" dental plan at work (which is better than many of my peers), and I still have to pay at least 20% of anything other than cleanings and there's absolutely no coverage for implants. You can say implants are purely cosmetic, but they impact bite and keeping other teeth from shifting around. A bridge can often serve as a replacement, but then you're out more money in the long run having to replace the bridge every 10 years or so. Having missing teeth can impact career prospects.

Some dental "plans" cover implants.

To the OP...here is a sample of the discounts for the dental you may be looking at. It is really worth it to check into these plans and also make sure your dentist accepts them:

Discount Dental Plans in 77001 | Dental Insurance Alternatives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance