Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 12:13 PM

15 posts, read 14,193 times

Advertisements

The solar payment is about the same as what our PGE bill was during the year but far, far below what it would have cost during spring-early fall months ( a few times as high as 650!). The solar has been a HUGE improvement. Agreed on meeting with a financial planner for long term planning Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:19 PM

26,196 posts, read 21,611,159 times
You should eat it and sell the boat. A fifteen year loan on a toy? People would get crucified for taking out a 15 year loan for a car and a boat should be no different

Old 06-05-2017, 12:24 PM

Correction, my wife just informed me that the boat loan is an 8 yr loan...not 15.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connerfire View Post
Correction, my wife just informed me that the boat loan is an 8 yr loan...not 15.
Sell it, it's still rediculous just not as much so.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:28 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,045,589 times
What is your child care situation now? Will it change with the second child being born? A lot of families get into debt based on two incomes and then find out one parent needs to quit working when a child is born.
What I see is a typical high earner high spender budget. I was there in my 30s, and am just now catching up to where I should be in terms of my savings (401k etc).
You are behind the curve on 401k savings, and have a lot of debt. I agree with poster who says that "affordability" is not equal to being able to make monthly payments.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:40 PM

Our child care situation now is pretty good. My wife works 3 days a week and I work 48 straight hours so we usually are able to arrange our schedules pretty well to not have to shell out a ton for child care. We are close to her parents and my grandparents as well which always helps. We have a great nanny we use when we need help with a babysitter who is a family friend, and our sons day care is right up the road from us. As far as child care goes we are fairly well covered. I agree tat affordability is not equal to being able to make monthly payments.

I should also clarify that we don't feel we "need" to sell our home to afford the situation we are in, we were just having a deeper hypothetical conversation about how we "could" sell our home and eliminate all of our debt, and then start fresh with another home of equal value--mortgage being the same on the new house. Thousands of $$ saved on Interest payed on each of those loans as well as being less likely to finance things due to the fact that we would have so much left over after our mortgage was paid each month. Our plan has been to chunk our debt down and max out on our savings and will continue to do so. There is just something gratifying about know we "could" sell our house and eliminate all of our current debt in a short time vs. over many years. There will always be new expenses, voluntary or not.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:47 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,550,672 times
Quote:
we were just having a deeper hypothetical conversation about how we "could" sell our home and eliminate all of our debt, and then start fresh with another home of equal value--mortgage being the same on the new house.
so you are going to pay off debt only to buy new debt in the form of a mortgage for another house?

how is this different than selling the car/truck/boat and keeping the house and buying a cash/cheap car from a financial stand point?

In one case, you end up with cheaper house with more expensive toys, the other you keep expensive house and have a cheaper car

if you wanted to take a mortgage of equal value, you could refinance current one and use it to pay off loans, as well... again, trading one debt for another
Quote:
There is just something gratifying about know we "could" sell our house and eliminate all of our current debt in a short time vs. over many years.
same could be said about selling any of those other things

Old 06-05-2017, 12:59 PM

Yes, the situation would be that we would sell our home, pay off everything and then buy again at the same price point as the home we sold. The difference being that we no longer would have any other debt than our mortgage. We would still have all of the things we were financing the difference being that we actually own them all outright and can now take all that extra money that was going to those loans and put them towards savings, retirement, investments, etc....really just a different way of living than how we and many others live.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, the situation would be that we would sell our home, pay off everything and then buy again at the same price point as the home we sold. The difference being that we no longer would have any other debt than our mortgage. We would still have all of the things we were financing the difference being that we actually own them all outright and can now take all that extra money that was going to those loans and put them towards savings, retirement, investments, etc....really just a different way of living than how we and many others live.
This is silly you would own the depreciating assets outright while owing more on your house. Why not just do a cash out refinance? Still seems silly and doesn't address the fundamental issues that got you into the spot you are in.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:09 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,550,672 times
Quote:
somehow the math doesn't work out

you have $168k of debt between truck/car/boat/student loans and $200k in home equity

if you wanted to be a home of same value of $400k, you would still need a down payment of $80k.

your plan is still short $50k, if you wanted solar on new house, it also adds more debt

then you have all the closing costs/buying costs/etc

you mentioned living with family for 6 months to save up a down payment, if you can save $80k in 6 months, why can't you pay off $80k in debt in same time period?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance