Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 03:13 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times

Advertisements

With constant late payments, your credit score is going to continue to go down.
Consistent late rent payments might mean you're out on the street hoping a new landlord won't check.
With only $1500 left, you aren't going to be able to pick up his deficits very much longer.
I can only tell you what I would do at this point.
Stop paying what profits him...cell phone, truck loan. Let him go without.
Tell him you are going to do this and from now on it's his responsibility alone, period, the end.
He'll either wake up and rise to the occasion or not.
If he does , then you start on the other bills and if you still have to pay everything, it's time to pay them for just yourself and let him support himself separately.
You may not want that right now, but continuing to stay with someone so fiscally irresponsible doesn't make your future doesn't look too good anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 03:19 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
For me it would be worth every penny to get rid of him and keep the vehicles and current debts.
Sell the vehicles and pay what you can then get yourself back on track financially.
If/when he buys you chocolates or flowers again tell him where to stuff his chocolates and flowers, walk away and don't look back.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:23 AM

130,545 posts, read 12,143,244 times
regarding the chocolates & flowers, this is what many physical abusers do also, after they beat someone, thye show up with gifts & ask for forgiveness. No way to live. IMO Financial abuse is also bad.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:52 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,011,164 times
You need to get a divorce from this person.He is NOT pulling his weight.He sounds like a big spoiled baby who doesn't seem to understand the importance of paying things on time,in keeping his word, and to help ones partner in a respectful manner.Get a divorce and move on because things will only get worse with this person and not better..

Old 08-04-2017, 07:01 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
DIVORCE LAWYER NOW before it gets any worse and pay off what you have too . There is not enough money in the world to make me stay with someone who had no common sense when it comes to buying and paying for things . Yep get rid of him and get yourself back on your feet financially and you will be much happier and better off . This is the year 2017 not 1950 when women had to put up with this garbage . I'm sure a divorce lawyer will be more than happy to help you and yep tell him to stuff the flowers and chocolates where the sun don't shine . Good luck to you .

Old 08-04-2017, 08:53 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,996,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole11 View Post
I also want to thank everyone for recommending marriage counseling but how do you recommend paying for for said counseling when you're already in financial turmoil? Is there some sort of way around this or am I just ignorant?

Do you have a decent sized church nearby? They might provide counseling and Dave Ramsey style financial coaching.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:01 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
Marriage counseling ? okay I can see where this is going , oh I can reform him sort of thing .ive said my piece and so have a few other posters and she wants to go the marriage counseling route which I can tell you from personal experience does zippo nothing . Good luck though I hope you don't end up on the street .

Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,442,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Do you have a decent sized church nearby? They might provide counseling and Dave Ramsey style financial coaching.
I agree Financial Peace University could benefit him. DR's program is good for people who for whatever reason do not have an innate ability or self-discipline to be financially responsible.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:13 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,799,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole11 View Post
Finances have always been a serious thing for me ...
Then why did you marry someone so irresponsible with their finances? Did this behavior start only after your marriage or was it present before as well?

Old 08-04-2017, 11:16 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Did it ever occur to you that you may need to feel the need to control a partner, and you are using money as your control vehicle and this is the reason you continue to choose partners that are not fiscally responsible ??

Your marriage is on a fast path to destruction, and if you both truly desire to prevent this from happening you may need to employ a good counselor who can help your husband change his fiscally irresponsible characteristics and you your fiscally controlling characteristics. Even if this does not repair the damage already sustained and your marriage ends, hopefully you will have gained some insight and made the necessary changes to avoid choosing a future partner with the same characteristics.

PS - You being a veteran and I work at a VA, I can tell you the VA has multiple professionals that can provide you free of charge counseling and you should take advantage of this benefit.
Ding ding ding ding ding! OP, you earned this benefit. Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance