Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 07:36 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,302,696 times

Advertisements

36 year old living in the US with wife and young kids (under 5 year old) and thinking/planning for retirement. Here's an alternative that i've been thinking about....

As a Canadian citizen (Dual citizenship), healthcare would be free for me (and family?) if i move back and stay/live there 6 months. As healthcare is often the biggest expense in retirement, especially those considering early retirement, i thought this might be a great option.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 07:40 AM

34,105 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
36 year old living in the US with wife and young kids (under 5 year old)
and thinking/planning for retirement.

As a Canadian citizen (Dual citizenship), healthcare would be free for me (and family?)
if i move back and stay/live there 6 months. As healthcare is often the biggest expense in retirement,
especially those considering early retirement, i thought this might be a great option.

Any thoughts?
Americans marrying Canadians at retirement age (now) would work well too.

But you're asking a specific strategy question about a situation 25-30 years off.
Odds are the US will have a similar single payer health system by then.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:59 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,678,686 times
I'm working on a retirement plan in my current city because I absolutely love it. It's not going to be easy or fast. Seattle is quickly joining the ranks of San Francisco and NYC in terms of un-affordability. Maybe we will make it and maybe we won't, but the point is in "shooting for the moon" we will at least "land within the stars". We can already afford retirement in my husband's home country of Mexico. In another 3-5 years we should be able to afford retirement in very cheap areas of the US. 10-15 years would see us retire where we are at right now.

It's still a long way off so I prefer to have options.

My question to you would be: How does this idea affect what you are doing now in terms of savings and investment?

Old 08-07-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Americans marrying Canadians at retirement age (now) would work well too.

But you're asking a specific strategy question about a situation 25-30 years off.
Odds are the US will have a similar single payer health system by then.
Well, i was thinking more of a scenario where that time is 10-15 years...so, not that far off.
just exploring ideas....

Old 08-07-2017, 08:04 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,777,474 times
You will find a lot of like mine from Mr Mustache forum, I think he is Canadian too. I've glimpsed there occasionally and there are a lot of Australians too.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I'm working on a retirement plan in my current city because I absolutely love it. It's not going to be easy or fast. Seattle is quickly joining the ranks of San Francisco and NYC in terms of un-affordability. Maybe we will make it and maybe we won't, but the point is in "shooting for the moon" we will at least "land within the stars". We can already afford retirement in my husband's home country of Mexico. In another 3-5 years we should be able to afford retirement in very cheap areas of the US. 10-15 years would see us retire where we are at right now.

It's still a long way off so I prefer to have options.

My question to you would be: How does this idea affect what you are doing now in terms of savings and investment?
First of all.....you will get to moon waaaaaaaay before you 'land within the stars'....as the closest 'star' from earth besides the sun is more than 4 light years away versus a few hours/days to the moon.....

secondly, i'm not sure i understand your question above....I'll attempt to answer based on what i think you're asking; The new canadian city will pretty much be the same in terms of cost of living.....and i wouldn't move there until retirement; my assumption is that i'll live here in northern VA until retirement....since i'll presumably have access to good healthcare through my employer....but after early retirement, all that goes away, unless you're somewhere where there is universal healthcare system, or something like it.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:52 AM

34,105 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Well, i was thinking more of a scenario where that time is 10-15 years...
It helps to be specific when asking Q's

in any case... I suspect the US single payer system will be well underway in 10-15 years.
There is really no choice but to shift that way regardless of what it does to the Insurance Co's

Old 08-07-2017, 12:52 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,996,424 times
I've thought about doing the same thing. I wish I had MrRational's confidence that a better healthcare system was coming this way. We can't even go metric.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:51 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,678,686 times
Quote:
First of all.....you will get to moon waaaaaaaay before you 'land within the stars'....as the closest 'star' from earth besides the sun is more than 4 light years away versus a few hours/days to the moon.....

secondly, i'm not sure i understand your question above....I'll attempt to answer based on what i think you're asking; The new canadian city will pretty much be the same in terms of cost of living.....and i wouldn't move there until retirement; my assumption is that i'll live here in northern VA until retirement....since i'll presumably have access to good healthcare through my employer....but after early retirement, all that goes away, unless you're somewhere where there is universal healthcare system, or something like it.
Well, I was thinking more about if you'd need to make any different decisions right now. Maybe not invest as much in your 401k or something.. I don't know... it's not something I'm planning to do right now, but I imagine like with estate planning that decisions you make today affect tomorrow's outcome.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:27 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,564,502 times
Do you want to move back to Canada??
Not exactly what I would call a strategy. so a couple of questions? You're 36 so in 20 years time when you are thinking about moving back to Canada for health care, what happens if you're family doesn't want to go?

How do you get health care now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance