Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:55 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,777,474 times

Advertisements

OP, I would never do that using my HELOC. I know relatives or friends who borrow from HELOC to buy and their house. Things didn't turn out their way. HELOC is a perfectable way for short term borrowing, like you are expecting money coming but you can't wait for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 09:01 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times
Do not put your home at risk. Of you have cc balances and emergencies keep raiding your savings, this is no time for new appliances or any purchases that are not total necessity. How is adding a new monthly payment going to help? And one that is secured by your home?

Old 08-11-2017, 03:59 AM

665 posts, read 614,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
at the bolded! Holy crap, you make it sound like $4,000-$5,000 in credit card debt is not a big deal. My credit card debt is literally ZERO. I have a couple of cards that I use each month, sometimes >$1,000 in a month (since I use one card for almost everything), but I pay them off in full every single month, absolutely no exceptions.

Years ago when I had a lot of credit card debt I made myself make a budget with a separate line item called CREDIT CARD INTEREST. When I saw that I was spending $100 or more (sometimes MUCH more) on credit card INTEREST CHARGES in a month, that was enough to make me change my ways!!

As for your HELOC: if you can't use it for what you originally intended, remember, you don't HAVE to use it. As at least one other poster has said, just because you have the line doesn't mean you have to spend it. It is NOT "free money"!!
4k-5k in cc debt is a big deal to me. I have family members that think otherwise but that's them. I don't want to be in debt my whole adult life and I plan on retiring without even though that's 30 years away. I remember a few years I didn't have any cc debt, car payments, or other major debt. All of my extra money was going to savings and before I bought my home it was a lot. That's why I was able to buy my home (maybe a 1or 2 year too late but still). Sometimes, I wish I was still living in an apt with the amount of savings I had because I haven't been able to recover the savings amount I had then. I was saving btwn $800-1000 a month at least for at least 15-18 months. I was getting steady overtime as well so all of the extra money went to savings.

Right now, the job I have now doesn't pay as well as my previous job and I don't get much overtime even though I working harder than I did before. For about 3-4 years, my wages haven't gone up even though I'm doing more work and taking on more responsibilities at work. So that's why I've thinking a changing course with my life. In about six months to a year from now, I'll have a totally different living situation more than likely.

In regards to the heloc, I won't use more than I need. Just looking for input. Right now based on the responses, I'll focus it towards to repairs and improvements.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance