Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 05:42 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,271,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
Sorry I keep double posting but the plan for right now is to kill off some of the smaller credit balances (we have 5 between the two of us)...2 store credit cards are small but the interest is high, so I will suggest paying those off first and not really using them at all unless absolutely needed. Then focus on the "regular" credit cards in small balance order.

Where I live, I'm stuck and going to have to put up at least a 90 minute commute either way. Most jobs around my area (Long Island) are retail unless you're a teacher or cop or doctor, then you make bank. But the closer I go to the city, the more expensive things are and property taxes (easily almost half my mortgage) doesn't get lower.
long island is a terrible place to live if you want to save money. My old manager calculated he would need a major raise to relocate his job and family to LI from NJ.

The cost of living is high and I'm sure your propertery taxes are atleast $10k.

Get rid of the house and rent for a while somewhere else. The LIRR and LIE will just put you in a premature grave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 12:01 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,608,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Yep - still the same - they always back off. The only time they can do anything is to garnish her SS years down the line.

We are talking about what HE needs to do - not her.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:02 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
A friend of mine never paid back student loans he took out for his kids, now they deduct a portion of his monthly Social Security benefit check. It never goes away.
Yes but so what? They cant garnish his.
She has no earnings.

So what if when she's 65 they garnish her SS? What does he care?

Old 10-05-2017, 12:05 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
So in other words: She can only have 1 bank account with less than about $2k?

Besides her ruining her credit, doesn't this means she's essentially "dependent" on her husband in regards to her entire legal/financial life?

Suppose they do this for awhile and then get divorced... she'll have nothing to her name and then owe the debt... what a crappy place to fall into...
Yes that's correct. But we are giving him advice how he can deal with her bad finances - not giving her advice as to what she should do. If he insists on staying with her yet cannot pay off the loans - this is something he can do. None of it is illegal.

Of course she can amass savings under her mattress which cannot be frozen - but from the sounds of thing she can only amass debt not savings.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:45 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,184,400 times
OP hasn't been around in a while. Guess he didn't like what was being said.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:17 PM

26,887 posts, read 27,080,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yes but so what? They cant garnish his. She has no earnings.
She has no earnings RIGHT NOW. Many women have no earnings after the birth of a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
So what if when she's 65 they garnish her SS? What does he care?
What does he care? He's married to her, they would possibly be retired by that age, and her social security--or more likely her TRC if she stays in the field of education in NY-- check would be reduced. Who wouldn't care, while living on a fixed income?

Not to mention that defaulting on your school loans (which is not what the OP ever suggested, but YOU did) is unethical.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:27 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,332,091 times
I've skipped ahead which I don't usually do so apologies if some of this is a repeat.

But I do not believe that you can't get a job closer than a 100 minute commute. Millions of people live on LI, even just counting Nassau and Suffolk. There are many, many businesses where you can be looking for a job that will be closer to home and hopefully pay more (and the only way for a generous salary bump for most people is to change jobs, you'll never get that far ahead at your current job when everything is based on your current low-ish salary).

And your wife needs to get over herself. She's got in laws who will provide child care - most parents would be so grateful for that instead of turning it down. And she's got 10s of thousands in debt that she needs to get paid off. You shouldn't be volunteering to take on a second job before she can be bothered to get a first one to pay off her own debt. So what she wanted to be a SAHM. Life doesn't always give us what we wanted.

If you work together as a team, you can get this debt behind and then get your ducks in a row for a better future. But that will never happen without some very significant changes.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:36 AM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
She has no earnings RIGHT NOW. Many women have no earnings after the birth of a child.

What does he care? He's married to her, they would possibly be retired by that age, and her social security--or more likely her TRC if she stays in the field of education in NY-- check would be reduced. Who wouldn't care, while living on a fixed income?

Not to mention that defaulting on your school loans (which is not what the OP ever suggested, but YOU did) is unethical.
Exactly, unethical, not illegal.
He's concerned about her loans - he can effect a situation where her loans do not affect his finances - and I outlined how. You can spit at the mouth in righteous indignation - but its all there in black and white. The laws are clear - if he adheres to them his finances will not be affected.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,760,425 times
How about having mom sell HER house and you getting the profit needed to pay off the loans she STOLE from the government ?

Old 10-09-2017, 06:05 PM

493 posts, read 445,227 times
My sister-in-law and her fiance combined a total of of $270,000 in debt. They are recent grads from pharmacy school. My point is: Your problem is temporary and totally solvable. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance