Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 08:34 AM

10,391 posts, read 8,629,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Um no thats just wishful thinking. Stock market is unpredictable. You're talking best case scenario here but just paying off the mortgage is guaranteed saving money by paying less interest.
But you can invest in something else besides the stock market. If you choose to pay off the mortgage early and the house is going down in value, are you truly saving money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 01:13 PM

13,697 posts, read 9,788,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And honestly, how can something even be a status symbol unless other people know you have it?
A BMW they can see.
A paid off mortgage? Who goes around saying they've paid off their mortgage?
"Status" isn't necessarily about what other people perceive. It's a personal satisfaction of what others rightfully ought to perceive. So, if I were a slovenly and obese man, but were able to bench-press 400 pounds, I could personally enjoy the status of being strong... even if nobody sees me at the gym, or even those who see me, don't care. Instead, I can condescendingly scoff at the slender people jogging on the sidewalk past me: "Behold, their BMI is in the low 20s, and their 10K time is under 45 minutes. Yeah, but how much can they bench-press? 100 pounds? 150 pounds? Yeah? Who's the bigger man now, huh? Huh? Yeah, you tell me, private-self - you tell me, who's the bigger man? See! Thought so."

Indeed, a major reason to pursue material wealth, is to feel privately smug and superior, even if one dresses shabbily, drives jalopies, is missing front-teeth, and lives in a corrugated-tin shack in Mogadishu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If you had the same $600k in a Four-plex, you would have four tenants paying you rent each month, regardless of what the appreciation does.
That $2,000 a month becomes $8,000 a month, $96,000 a year.
If you can find a Four-plex for $600K that nets $96,000 a year, I will (1) buy it for $700K, and (2) write you a check for $100K as finder's fee.

Old 01-01-2020, 01:43 PM

37,544 posts, read 61,616,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that is an investment not the same thing as a personal residence . in fact that money can be in other choices of investments just the same .
Yes, my mortgages were each for my family residence.

Can I help it if my Dw prefers to take residence in a Tri-plex?

Old 01-01-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
... If you can find a Four-plex for $600K that nets $96,000 a year, I will (1) buy it for $700K, and (2) write you a check for $100K as finder's fee.
The last Four-plex I had included a mortgage that consumed half of the rental income.

I have looked at many Four-plexes in my area on the market asking ~$200k. How much you Net from each is variable.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:05 PM

107,117 posts, read 109,467,196 times
Quote:
Yes, my mortgages were each for my family residence.

Can I help it if my Dw prefers to take residence in a Tri-plex?
then only one apartment counts as your residence and the cost of you living there is really the rent you are not getting consuming it yourself

Old 01-02-2020, 06:41 AM

4,617 posts, read 3,812,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The whole notion of needing (or caring about) a status symbol, which is really the title of this thread, is ridiculous in the first place.

Insecure people care about labels and symbols because they lack much of a self-identity and self-worth. That's not the same, btw, as caring about the quality of things one purchases.

Really, who cares what other people choose to do when they buy a home or rent a place or finance it or pay cash for it? Why is this some rando's business?

AGAIN - People, the thread title is just a play on some words by a famous finance guy. Or "infamous" according to some people.

The thread title is a play on Dave Ramsey's radio show opening intro, guess a lot here don't listen to it, but I tune in from time to time when I get tired of the Top 40 songs.

"The paid off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice."
http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quot...y-85-73-21.jpg

Old 01-02-2020, 11:06 AM

4,664 posts, read 4,569,001 times
Quote:
The last Four-plex I had included a mortgage that consumed half of the rental income.

I have looked at many Four-plexes in my area on the market asking ~$200k. How much you Net from each is variable.
Out of curiosity, what market is this? All of our real estate is in pretty pricey markets (those are the markets we lived in and know) that rarely cash flow the first few years (but have appreciated very nicely).

Old 01-02-2020, 12:23 PM

10,391 posts, read 8,629,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Out of curiosity, what market is this? All of our real estate is in pretty pricey markets (those are the markets we lived in and know) that rarely cash flow the first few years (but have appreciated very nicely).
Check out the midwest and the south. My properties have matched and surpassed in some cases those of Ca.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:35 PM

18,301 posts, read 15,828,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
AGAIN - People, the thread title is just a play on some words by a famous finance guy. Or "infamous" according to some people.

The thread title is a play on Dave Ramsey's radio show opening intro, guess a lot here don't listen to it, but I tune in from time to time when I get tired of the Top 40 songs.
Calm down, housebuilder. I know who Dave Ramsey is, I listened to his show eons ago. For the record, I wouldn't purchase a BMW either because the cost of maintenance is high and that's a P.I.A. I get the point that was being made, btw about what represents 'status' now vs years ago.

My statement was a very general one, as people are busy arguing en masse over paying off or not paying off a mortgage vs buying with cash vs renting vs general fear and paranoia about the stock market.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
The Four-plex we had was in Bremerton Washington. The Four-plexes we have been looking at recently were in Orono and Bangor Maine.

Here in Maine, I currently have a mixed-use commercial/residential property [two 2000 sq ft store-front spaces, one 2000 sq ft office space, one studio-loft residence, and ten single-occupancy efficiencies] purchasing and remodeling will come in at just under $400k.

We have done other Multi-Family-Residential properties in Southern California, in Scotland, and Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance