Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:05 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times

Advertisements

The defined benefit pension is a thing of the past for all, but public employees. Most people, like it or not, must rely on social security plus what they can stash away in their 401K account.

So what is our Congress doing? Its putting together a tax plan that will eliminate or reduce the tax deduction on money contributed to 401K accounts. They are talking about reducing it to $2,400 a year or $4,000 from the current $8,000.

Paul Ryan and his buddies are clowns. I bet the wealthy people in Congress could care less that most of us are relying on these 401K accounts when we leave the labor force. Its a rich man's Congress that will only protect the rich in this country.

I have a better idea. Leave the tax code alone. Or at least, leave these deductions where they currently are.

Why on earth make it harder for people to retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 01:20 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Because they don't want us to retire, they want to enslave us for life. Part of their new world order, to restore the days of lords and serfs, with us the serfs. It's part of the plan to make the people (serfs) rely totally on the lords ( government) for their very existence.

You and I and every working person who has a 401k account knows it is a mistake, but they don't.

Next will change tax rules on IRAs.

I don't have a 401k nor a pension at work, so I'm two down for the count. So technically, like the Congress, I could give a rats behind whether you get a deduction for a 401k contribution or not.

But I'm smart enough to know it DOES matter to those who have one and deserve the tax break.

I think that ALL companies, regardless of size, should be forced to provide 401ks with good matches up to 6% if they don't offer pensions, but I don't make the rules.

It used to be a tripod of income for retirement : savings, SS and pension.
Then it becomes savings, SS and 401k which is your savings as well.
Now it is savings and SS.
Soon with pensions going away or being greatly reduced, it will be savings ( hard for many to put by) and SS...tge government.
Then it will be strictly the SS (government) so tgey can control you.

It's part of a master plan put in place long long long ago. It is now coming to fruition, while the wool has been pulled over our eyes.

Yep, government lords over us worker serfs.

And people thought Downton Abbey was days of old.....

Old 11-01-2017, 01:27 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
I'm not sure what your 2400, 4000, 8000 figures are

And reduction is at best a accounting maneuver that only kicks the can. Increase revenues now for decreased later

Old 11-01-2017, 04:56 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,149,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm not sure what your 2400, 4000, 8000 figures are

And reduction is at best a accounting maneuver that only kicks the can. Increase revenues now for decreased later
From ABC News (today 11/1):

401(k): “The White House, as the president tweeted, wanted to keep the current annual maximum for tax-free contributions ($18,000); House Republicans wanted to lower the limit to $2,400. The bill, as of this morning, would lower what individuals may contribute tax-free to their 401(k)s, to an amount about halfway between the current limit and what House Republicans initially proposed.”

Old 11-01-2017, 05:05 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,852,680 times
My only guess is they want the Republican party to fall apart or somehow split into 2. Nothing else makes sense, because they won't attract anyone by doing this but will slice off a big part of their base.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:21 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,174 times
I hate Congress with the strength of 17 burning suns. both sides. lol

gotta pay for tax cuts some how

Old 11-01-2017, 05:43 PM

60 posts, read 39,910 times
Because the people in Congress have pensions and don’t have to depend on a 401K. The same goes for Social Security. They don’t have to pay into it, thus not getting anything from it.

They don’t care because there’s nothing in it for them.

If either of these programs mattered to them, they’d be the gold standard.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:54 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
We are sorta on the edge between tax brackets so I believe if the tax-free contributions are reduced then we will likely push our income into the highest (proposed) tax bracket. And then we get to contribute less to retirement to boot.

I'm really not a fan of these proposals.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:40 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The defined benefit pension is a thing of the past for all, but public employees. Most people, like it or not, must rely on social security plus what they can stash away in their 401K account.

So what is our Congress doing? Its putting together a tax plan that will eliminate or reduce the tax deduction on money contributed to 401K accounts. They are talking about reducing it to $2,400 a year or $4,000 from the current $8,000.

Paul Ryan and his buddies are clowns. I bet the wealthy people in Congress could care less that most of us are relying on these 401K accounts when we leave the labor force. Its a rich man's Congress that will only protect the rich in this country.

I have a better idea. Leave the tax code alone. Or at least, leave these deductions where they currently are.

Why on earth make it harder for people to retire?
No disagreements from me.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:25 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
I had discounted this up until yesterday as a DC urban legend. The house Republicans must either be stupid or politically suicidal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance