Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 07:26 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,180,798 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm trying to buy a used car on craigslist. I encounter that most cars have loan balances. I don't want to run around with cash or a cashier's check to pay for the loan part. I would pay the difference to the sales price in cash. Is it possible to go to the seller's bank and pay off the loan with a credit card and get the title? - Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 07:29 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Ask the bank. Probably not.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:30 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
It would be possible to do a cash advance on the card

Old 11-17-2017, 08:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. No, you can't go to a bank and pay off the owner's balance and receive title to the car. Banks don't have the title, the DMV has the title, and it has to be signed over to you by the owner of the car. If you go into the bank and pay the balance owed on the loan, the title is now free and clear in the original owner's name.

And it's not yours. And you're screwed out of however much you just paid on this owner's car.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:30 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,180,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. No, you can't go to a bank and pay off the owner's balance and receive title to the car. Banks don't have the title, the DMV has the title, and it has to be signed over to you by the owner of the car. If you go into the bank and pay the balance owed on the loan, the title is now free and clear in the original owner's name.

And it's not yours. And you're screwed out of however much you just paid on this owner's car.
Thanks. It appears I am clueless. Yes, I had no idea. That's why it's so awesome to ask this forum first. Now I'm very reluctant to pursue this.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:32 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Sounds Like pure scam to me. I no longer shop or sell on craigslist; too toxic.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Thanks. It appears I am clueless. Yes, I had no idea. That's why it's so awesome to ask this forum first. Now I'm very reluctant to pursue this.
Yeah, don't pursue it. Buy from someone who has the title free and clear, and when you buy the car, you meet up at the DMV and sit at the desk and the owner gives you the title when you pay for the car by cashier's check.

Of course, if you buy the car from a reputable car dealership or used car lot, you don't have to meet at the DMV. For private purchase, you do.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Strange Chase bank had the title in hand when I paid off my father's truck when he died. I paid off the loan and they handed me the title. When I paid off my Honda, Honda's credit company sent me the title not the DMV

Who holds the car title during a loan?
Most lenders will hold the title of the vehicle for the entire duration of the car loan. After the loan is paid off, the lender removes itself from the title and sends a copy of the document to the owner. While receiving a copy of the title is one way to be sure that a car loan is paid off, another is to review your credit report and see if the car loan shows as having been paid in full.

https://www.freecreditreport.com/blo...ing-financing/

Old 11-17-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah, don't pursue it. Buy from someone who has the title free and clear, and when you buy the car, you meet up at the DMV and sit at the desk and the owner gives you the title when you pay for the car by cashier's check.

Of course, if you buy the car from a reputable car dealership or used car lot, you don't have to meet at the DMV. For private purchase, you do.
This is also incorrect. Maybe you don't actually understand this as well as you think you do

Old 11-18-2017, 05:18 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
I don't want to run around with cash or a cashier's check to pay for the loan part.
Get over it.
As much as anything that filters out the frauds too.

Quote:
Is it possible to go to the seller's bank and pay off the loan with a credit card and get the title?
If their lender will accept that. I wouldn't.
Certified funds just like tenants are expected to have before moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance