Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 09:40 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,678,902 times

Advertisements

I'd like to preface this by saying that I definitely know driving for a rideshare service won't bring in the amount of money I'm currently making through my main income source, however, I'd like to know if you guys think it would improve my quality of life.

The problem I'm running into is this contract position brings in about $55K per year for me. However, the work involved with this contract is making me so stressed out I am losing sleep over it and my health has tanked since I've started it.

Good news is that it is not my only source of income. I bring in about $3K a month through other contracts and some small net profit off of some real estate that I own. I don't really count the real estate income since it's so small.

I don't live extravagantly at all. My car is fully paid off. Insurance on the car is paid every 6 months at just under $500. Health insurance costs me $120 per month. Cell phone is $90 per month. I have 2 roommates and my share of living expenses is around $450 per month. Lower during the mild weather months. At the end of each month, I normally am able to save close to $2K a month, which I put aside for future real estate purchases.

My question to you guys is if I drop that $50K contract, do you think driving for Uber/Lyft would be a good option? I'd rather not die an early death due to the stress of this contract. Not that driving for rideshare services isn't stressful in some way, but I highly doubt I'll be losing sleep over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 10:34 AM

26,192 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Have you looked into the insurance requirements? That expense might go up for you

Old 01-08-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Have you looked into the insurance requirements? That expense might go up for you
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Are the insurance companies even notified by anyone when a driver drives for Uber?

Old 01-08-2018, 10:50 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
No, it's why Uber and them are shady companies to work for

They insure themselves for liability, you as the contractor need your own coverage even if they say "while you are driving" you are covered... not so much. You are covered if you get hit, because the other driver's insurance is responsible.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:53 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
Yes, cover Your A*S. You have an accident without the proper insurance you are in deep doo doo.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:28 AM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
I know someone who looked into it as a potential primary job, but passed and instead decided to work at a restaurant.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:06 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,767 times
I think you'd be better off getting another job in a less stressful field than driving for uber/lyft. There are many threads on this forum about the real cost of working for Uber/Lyft. If you wanted to do a few rides here and there to make an extra $100-$200 a week I'd say go for it because the additional gas, maintenance, and wear and tear could be somewhat negligible in that instance. However, as a full time job you are taking a presumably newer car and trashing it in 3 years time.

I've read that your avg full time driver will drive 1,000 miles a week. That's a lot of gas, oil changes each year, a couple tune ups, brakes once a year, tires every 18 months, depreciation like crazy. No thanks.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Depends on the area. Those high in business demand can stay busy. Example Vegas.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
I think you'd be better off getting another job in a less stressful field than driving for uber/lyft. There are many threads on this forum about the real cost of working for Uber/Lyft. If you wanted to do a few rides here and there to make an extra $100-$200 a week I'd say go for it because the additional gas, maintenance, and wear and tear could be somewhat negligible in that instance. However, as a full time job you are taking a presumably newer car and trashing it in 3 years time.

I've read that your avg full time driver will drive 1,000 miles a week. That's a lot of gas, oil changes each year, a couple tune ups, brakes once a year, tires every 18 months, depreciation like crazy. No thanks.
You're right. The more I think about it, the vehicle expenses would kill me.

I guess I'm just struggling with what other less stressful job I could get. My skill set is pretty specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance