Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:12 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I am taking it that you didn't spend hundreds of dollars on this ring.
Even a plain metal class ring will be several hundred dollars. If you want gold, it goes up to closer to $1000. They're not cheap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,600 times
Go to CDS Refining, they accept small amounts of gold
519 658 3597

Old 10-07-2011, 01:57 PM

29 posts, read 58,154 times
Default Selling a Class Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
My memory may be faulty on this, but it seems to me that my class ring barely met the definition of gold. They had to be cheap so that as many of the graduating class as possible could buy them.
I am a gold buyer in Sarasota, Fl. I buy these class rings every week. Most class rings are only 10k although there may be an occasional 14k ring.

A dealer will usually deduct a little weight for the stones as they have no resale value. They will weigh the ring to see how many grams less the estimated weight of any stones and quote you a price based on the weight. These scales are weighing in troy ounces. There are 31.1 grams in a troy ounce.

The mail in firms usually pay the least. pawnshops have to hold their gold for thirty days and will usually pay a little less than some gold buyers. You should be able to get 70% of the golds value when selling the ring. If you nare offered less go mon to the next shop.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:01 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Yeah have a jeweler give you the weight in grams, then determine what the karat is, then you should be able to plug that into a web formula to give you the value based on the price of gold that day. They won't give you that exact value since they're entitled to a broker fee, but I'd say don't accept any offer less than 90% of what the actual value comes out to.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:41 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Does anyone have advice for selling a gold Josten's class ring? Are those mail-in places reliable, or is a pawn shop better?
If you go to a mail-in, you will get and deserve a major hosing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance