Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 04:53 PM

8,115 posts, read 12,846,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
After reading all the posts I am inclined to say no, make up something.
Make up something? Just tell him that 50k is too much money for you to risk on something that will not benefit you in any way. All you are doing is promising to pay a debt- why take on risk with no reward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 09:49 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,109,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
OP, I'm glad to hear you said "no," because this sounds like a lot more than a bad idea - it sounds like an outright scam. And unlike some others, I wouldn't even consider helping him refi the truck, because I think he's lying to you and trying to play you for a fool. He says he needs 20K for the truck, but wants to borrow another 30 on top of that for reasons he doesn't even tell you? I almost guarantee you this guy has some other serious financial problems that you don't know about, and he needs the other 30 to keep his whole house of cards from collapsing. Nobody with any financial sense at all borrows $30,000 at 7 or 8% without some very compelling reason. He either needs that to pay off some other bad debt, or - even worse - he just wants it for walking around money, which is all the more reason to not trust him.

I wouldn't co-sign for so much as an oil change for the truck.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Co-signing is ALWAYS a bad idea, no matter how much we try to convince ourselves that our situation is “different.” The whole extra $30k really bugs me here.WTH? Sounds like someone trying to borrow themselves out of a hole, by more borrowing. It’s a temporary fix, at best.

I co-signed twice in my life, and got burned both times. I have loaned money outright a few times, and can only recall one person who paid it back (I’m talking situations where I have loaned more than maybe $50).

If OP REALLY wants to do this (and I see that thankfully he has decided to say, “no”), then just loan them $50k straight up. If that makes you feel uncomfortable (sand it probably will), then you have your answer.

As far as the impact on your credit (and I speak from experience), it will show up as a debt on your credit report, because you are just as obligated as the borrower. Second, anyxlate pakents will also reflect on your rating. Don’t do it!!!

Old 04-01-2018, 12:25 PM

30,910 posts, read 37,051,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Can't recall where I heard this little saying, but here it is:

"You can't solve "money problems" with money."
That's perfect!

Money problems are usually symptoms of a combination of ignorance and bad behavior. So that's why money problems can't be solved with money.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:27 PM

6,646 posts, read 4,346,690 times
One word: no.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:52 AM

30,709 posts, read 18,355,095 times
No. And your cousin has made numerous poor financial decisions (the ones you mentioned and foolishly financing a truck that he couldn't afford . . . should've bought a car within his financial means). I am all about helping family, but I also will not unnecessarily put myself at risk for financial ruin/disaster to do so.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:49 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,809,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
No. And your cousin has made numerous poor financial decisions (the ones you mentioned and foolishly financing a truck that he couldn't afford . . . should've bought a car within his financial means). I am all about helping family, but I also will not unnecessarily put myself at risk for financial ruin/disaster to do so.
dont they have parents? i figure the people most likely to ask me for money are people who should have other options before me. if their parents wont help, then it seems silly for me to.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:11 PM

30,709 posts, read 18,355,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
dont they have parents? i figure the people most likely to ask me for money are people who should have other options before me. if their parents wont help, then it seems silly for me to.
That's a good question. While I can't assume that the cousin has parents/others who can help, in my experience such sob story cases have often used up any goodwill from parents and other relatives. As a result, they will keep going down the line until they get to a "yes." OP, don't be that person!

Old 04-03-2018, 10:59 AM

1,551 posts, read 1,205,621 times
Here's how you learn about managing money:

You get yourself into a big, fat financial cluster-pickle.

No one to bail you out. No easy answers. No place to hide.

Then you spend however long it takes, doing whatever it takes in finance HELL until you get the monkey off your back.

I promise, you will never forget the agony of doing something so massively stupid with your money again, and what you had to go through to bail yourself out.

Painful lesson, but it will stick.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:13 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,109,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Here's how you learn about managing money:

You get yourself into a big, fat financial cluster-pickle.

No one to bail you out. No easy answers. No place to hide.

Then you spend however long it takes, doing whatever it takes in finance HELL until you get the monkey off your back.

I promise, you will never forget the agony of doing something so massively stupid with your money again, and what you had to go through to bail yourself out.

Painful lesson, but it will stick.
And here is how you avoid learning how to manage your money:

You find a poor unsuspecting family member who will make sure you never have to experience the consequences of your decisions, by baling you out as soon as you start to experience any hint of discomfort. If you’re really lucky, they’ll even give you access to the benefit of their own self-discipline (and sacrifice) to create new income streams that will essentially enable (intentional choice of words) you to make even more poor financial decisions. It’s a time tested model that over time has proven itself to be virtually fool proof.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:25 AM

4,287 posts, read 5,955,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
And here is how you avoid learning how to manage your money:

You find a poor unsuspecting family member who will make sure you never have to experience the consequences of your decisions, by baling you out as soon as you start to experience any hint of discomfort. If you’re really lucky, they’ll even give you access to the benefit of their own self-discipline (and sacrifice) to create new income streams that will essentially enable (intentional choice of words) you to make even more poor financial decisions. It’s a time tested model that over time has proven itself to be virtually fool proof.
I agree with everything other than the statement of being fool proof. There is at least one fool, possibly two, in your explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance