Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 05:34 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think the issue with most people isn't that the buy new cars, it's that they treat a car payment as if it's a fixed expenditure in life.
Some people like driving new cars, and trade theirs in every two-three years -- just because.
If that's their "thing" and they can "afford" it -- just like someone else who's into electronic gadgets, or clothes or travel -- or whatever....it's their money, and the cost of their hobby or interest or whatever they're "into" is the cost of enjoying or doing that thing. C'est la vie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 08:04 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,889 times
In a sense he is right. Anything with wheels and an engine is a terrible financial idea, and we see these people every day all around us. There is one caveat IMO: If the vehicle is a business related vehicle needed in your line of work and can be written off as such on your taxes. Otherwise buy what you can pay cash for and live happily ever after.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:46 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
In a sense he is right. Anything with wheels and an engine is a terrible financial idea, and we see these people every day all around us. There is one caveat IMO: If the vehicle is a business related vehicle needed in your line of work and can be written off as such on your taxes. Otherwise buy what you can pay cash for and live happily ever after.
Obviously, if you live/work in a place or metro area with a good/great public transportation system, then it's fine not having a vehicle. The way I look at it, is that your vehicle (for the most part) is a means to get you to your place of employment (unless you work from home), where you earn your living and make 40, 50, 60, 80, 100, 200k+ a year.

I agree you shouldn't "overbuy" and waste money on a tricked-out top of the line gas guzzling new vehicle, but for most people, if they didn't have a means to get to work their income would/could go to $0. Look at your vehicle choice as an investment to allow you to get to work to make a living and to survive.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:43 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHLUV View Post
Such a lost art of keeping cars till the wheels fall off!!!
That sounds *so* safe. Are people really that short of money? I wouldn't drive a car that is more than 10 years old unless it was garage-kept and maintained by me or else some sort of priceless antique.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:24 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
That sounds *so* safe. Are people really that short of money? I wouldn't drive a car that is more than 10 years old unless it was garage-kept and maintained by me or else some sort of priceless antique.

I think most people who own 10+ year old cars bought them much newer than that, so I assume they're pretty aware of maintenance/safety issues. Although truth be told, we did buy an 11 year old car that served us very well for another decade. (We also bought it private party and had a mechanic check it out before purchase, so there's that).

Old 05-23-2018, 07:44 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,463,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Consider how much cars have went up in price in the last 10 years. Consider that a great deal of folks, especially those who work in the public sector, don't get regular raises nor have a regular cost of living increase. Which means, their salaries cannot keep up with the rising cost of housing, transportation, medical, etc...

Yet, people are so judgmental to those who don't make six figures a year. I don't get the attitude. Yes, people *are* that short of money, because new cars are starting to price out the average salaried worker.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:17 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Obviously, if you live/work in a place or metro area with a good/great public transportation system, then it's fine not having a vehicle. The way I look at it, is that your vehicle (for the most part) is a means to get you to your place of employment (unless you work from home), where you earn your living and make 40, 50, 60, 80, 100, 200k+ a year.

I agree you shouldn't "overbuy" and waste money on a tricked-out top of the line gas guzzling new vehicle, but for most people, if they didn't have a means to get to work their income would/could go to $0. Look at your vehicle choice as an investment to allow you to get to work to make a living and to survive.
You can get to work in an "ol' granny" car that wasn't driven much but is 15 years old and goes for $3000.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:45 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You can get to work in an "ol' granny" car that wasn't driven much but is 15 years old and goes for $3000.
No doubt and people should drive those to get to work, so they can earn a living. That was the point I was getting at, buy what you could afford and what's reliable to get you around. See your car (whether an old jalopy or a newer car) as an investment that allows you to get to your place of employment.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
a car isnt an investment.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:05 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
Ramsey presents any easy formula for winning at life. If you are responsible and follow his plan, winning is almost guaranteed. (barring major disability or some other catastrophe) So before you knock his method, realize there are always exceptions to a general rule and most Americans are losing at life and could benefit greatly from following his formula.
^^^This is the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance