Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 07:51 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times

Advertisements

Ok

So, I can buy a used Ferrari for a few hundred grand.
But I'd better stay away from that new Yaris for $17K.

Gotcha!

It's all relative folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 08:00 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,472,570 times
^ was going to post that same thing before I saw it, also I like having a warranty... I should drop a few grand on a used car with unknown history and possibly have hundreds $ a month in repairs, or go new for peace of mind... I think Dave Ramsey is an idiot.

Also I like to reward myself with a nice car. So I choose to spend 500 a month on a lease or depreciation on something new, rather than $1000 a month on fancy food and drinks going out every weekend. It's all relative

Old 05-11-2018, 08:04 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
DR is kind of like financial advise for dummies. He waters everything down to simplistic situations and terms, based on assumptions.

For someone who is clueless in any kind personal finance, following DR's advise will help them a lot. For someone already savy in their personal financial and wealth management, DR's advise is going to be making assumptions that do not apply to them and therefore will make the advise not completely relevant to their situation.

The real point though is valid. New cars depreciate a lot, and as such are not wise purchases from a financial standpoint. For an awful lot of Americans who have next to zero retirement savings or capability to change that situation, taking huge depreciation on new car purchases is an extremely poor financial decision.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
Wouldn't the price of used cars skyrocket to near new prices if everyone did this?

Old 05-11-2018, 08:27 AM

10,763 posts, read 5,680,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
He's saying that you take a huge loss on the purchase of a new car, and that only millionaires should buy new cars because they can afford to take the loss. I think his point is just that's it's a silly waste of money, because as soon as you sign on the dotted line, it's lost value as a "used car" anyway.

He then goes on to say that if you put the car payments into an IRA instead, you could become a millionaire. If only life was that simple. But, I do agree that buying new cars is a waste of money.
It is that simple.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:34 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
I buy cars based upon my needs and wants, so financial and especially depreciation are not the primary factors driving the decision. My net worth does not factor into my evaluation.

Get what you want / need at the best affordable price... forget this rule.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:36 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,229,268 times
I think the author was using the $1million figure to grab attention to an otherwise valid argument. You know how they teach you in writing or English class to use attention grabbing headlines? That is it.

His point, albeit not the million dollar figure, is correct. Folks that don’t have lots of disposable income or depend on their weekly paychecks shouldn’t invest a huge chunk of their financial asset on something that would only depreciate.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:19 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Dave Ramsey's advice is kinda simplistic and sprinkled with Jesusy nonsense.

But IMO he's not really wrong on this point. Maybe you could adjust the number by a few hundred thousand if you like, but it's a valid point.

For your *average* American, a new vehicle is a ridiculous luxury that they can't pay for in any responsible manner.

You are exactly on point. I see your last sentence in reality every day. I live in the Metro Detroit area and on my commute home travel thru a suburb that is generally lower , to low/ mid income. Houses in the $25k to $70k range, yet I constantly see Escalade's, Denali Yukons, Mercedes and BMW's. Or SRT Challengers and Chargers.
Last time I checked on the price of an Escalade , it was $80k. Driving an $80k vehicle while living in the south end of East Pointe just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:36 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,994 times
I would assume that most people on the economics board are financially educated, so of course Ramsey's advice is going to sound dumb to the majority of us--because the message doesn't cater to the majority of people on this board. However, I wish he wasn't so damn condescending.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:44 AM

4,615 posts, read 3,005,102 times
What would be foolish about buying a basic Toyota/Subaru for $25,000 and keeping it for as long as it runs? (e.g. 200,000 miles) That seems like a very sensible thing to do.

Last edited by NW4me; 05-11-2018 at 10:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance