Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2018, 05:08 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,247,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
GM used SUV are garbage. A farmer friend used to buy a new one every two years as his farm car...they all had major stuff wrong at trade in time. His farm is worth much more than 8 figures, so he can afford it and knew the dealer, but he would never have owned one out of warranty. Try living in 120 degree heat sometime, and see how well your used Michigan piece of scrap does in the heat, if it will even start. Same for those Impalas..had one at work....probably depreciated half in two years....terrible design, terrible electronics.
People drive those cars and put over a quarter million miles on them. Then they hold a decent resale value. I have had those, Range Rovers, Land Rover Disco's, etc. The Range was more of a headache at 110,000 miles with all the maintenance kept up than my Cadillac Escalade with 185,000. Both bought new. Aand the Cadillac resale value was higher than the Range. The Range is super tempermental and the heads are made of plastic.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 07:23 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,025,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Dave Ramseys only real problem in my opinion is that he has one way, his way, and any divergence from that is very wrong in his opinion.
That goes back to his audience. Most of the 70% of Americans who are living payday to payday (or worse) need a rigid program to keep them on the right path.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:11 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,964,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That goes back to his audience. Most of the 70% of Americans who are living payday to payday (or worse) need a rigid program to keep them on the right path.
True. His way is rigid but it will probably work for the bulk of people who are upside down with debt. He could give more general advice but I bet most financially illiterate people benefit more from something that just states “do this”. Of course once you’re sorta in line with his methods you can modify some of the details and probably be fine. From what I gather, he’s all about no debt, suffering a little and paying off your mortage...that can certainly work for most people. Being debt free is a powerful position to be in.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:57 AM

30,906 posts, read 37,025,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
True. His way is rigid but it will probably work for the bulk of people who are upside down with debt. He could give more general advice but I bet most financially illiterate people benefit more from something that just states “do this”. Of course once you’re sorta in line with his methods you can modify some of the details and probably be fine. From what I gather, he’s all about no debt, suffering a little and paying off your mortgage...that can certainly work for most people. Being debt free is a powerful position to be in.
Yes, that's all correct.

He's also all about getting 15 year mortgages instead of 30 year, and borrowing less than the bank will qualify you for.

He also says you need to save 15% for retirement.

His Baby Steps put things in "one at a time" order as people tend to lose focus.

My biggest issue with him is his referring people to mutual funds that have a sales charge and also in assuming that 12% returns are realistic over the long run. I think he also said in one of his books that you can take 8% out of your portfolio once you retire, which is way too much.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:01 PM

10,361 posts, read 8,601,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
It's a Midwest thing.
Looked it up, it actually looks pretty good.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:57 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,981,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
People drive those cars and put over a quarter million miles on them. Then they hold a decent resale value. I have had those, Range Rovers, Land Rover Disco's, etc. The Range was more of a headache at 110,000 miles with all the maintenance kept up than my Cadillac Escalade with 185,000. Both bought new. Aand the Cadillac resale value was higher than the Range. The Range is super tempermental and the heads are made of plastic.....
In 2003 I was at a Customs' auction. A 1980 Seville, with no body damage sold for 35 Dollars. A 1986 Toyota pickup with 4x4, and 250k on the odometer went for 2,650.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:34 AM

654 posts, read 425,889 times
Dave Ramsey is a fraud

Old 11-23-2018, 05:48 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,776,602 times
Dave Ramsey's advice is pretty simplistic and sprinkled with Jesusy nonsense. But generally speaking it's not *bad* advice. It's a far better approach to personal finance than most Americans take.

I used to listen to his show back when I was young, dumb, and broke. Twenty years later I'm not exactly rolling in cash... but I am doing better then I ever imagined I would. And I owe nothing to anybody except for the mortgage which will be paid off in 8 years. My finances aren't prefect, but they're better than anybody I can name at my income level.

Dave Ramsey played a real part in that. Early on at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, that's all correct.

He's also all about getting 15 year mortgages instead of 30 year, and borrowing less than the bank will qualify you for.

He also says you need to save 15% for retirement.

His Baby Steps put things in "one at a time" order as people tend to lose focus.

My biggest issue with him is his referring people to mutual funds that have a sales charge and also in assuming that 12% returns are realistic over the long run. I think he also said in one of his books that you can take 8% out of your portfolio once you retire, which is way too much.
Like any info-tainment, there's plenty you can nitpick about Dave Ramsey. I agree with your criticisms here.

But the first three points are pretty well the core of his financial advice. And the unwashed masses of America (the vast majority of them) would do well to heed that advice. It definitely helped me out when I was young and financially illiterate... and gave me a starting point to start doing my own research.

Last edited by turkey-head; 11-23-2018 at 05:59 PM..

Old 11-23-2018, 06:19 PM

30,541 posts, read 19,288,082 times
Ramsey's advice is sound, like my Father's pretty much and he died a multi millionnaire even though the most he ever made at his job was $36K/yr. It's strong medicine for many of today's young folk to swallow though.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:51 PM

24,729 posts, read 9,529,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
the used car is a gamble, at best.
Literally every dealership car lot in America has certified pre-owned used cars

And there’s this nice thing called a “warranty” or “extended warranty.” It works wonders.

I’ve had both new and used and I will never go back to new again, ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance