Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 06:31 AM

157 posts, read 218,873 times

Advertisements

Disclosure that this is a crystal ball question, so feel free to ignore this if you despise "timing the market" kind of questions.

Doing a quick cost benefit analysis, I would like to incorporate any factors I may not have considered. Look at this question from a long-term investment perspective.

The situation: I'm under contract for my home in NJ, and I am moving to Northern VA soon, still a good seller's market in the particular areas I am interested in. I have enough capital to get a decent condo (not doing SFH this time) in a good area, but the question is, should I?

Should I wait and rent for a bit in anticipation of the eventual decline in the seller's market? Or should I just buy while rates are still fairly low?

Note: Getting to know the area first isn't a concern for me here, as I've frequently visited for work, and have a decent network of friends in the area as well.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 08:51 AM

1,016 posts, read 308,655 times
If I were in your situation, I would go ahead and buy a nice condo I could see myself living in for a while. Market, schmarket. Rentals are always more expensive in the long run, and here you've got something to show for it. It's not much of a gamble if you know the area and have friends there. Win win IMO.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:58 AM

34,156 posts, read 83,217,257 times
Before reading a single word of the post... if YOU aren't sure then do not buy. Anywhere.
The deeper question though, either way, is how much of your net income you can/will
commit to your housing expenses. Go low either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkoreaus View Post
I am moving to Northern VA soon
Should I wait and rent for a bit in anticipation of...
of greater certainty with the job? of making some friends? of learning your way around? YES.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:48 AM

4,037 posts, read 3,679,127 times
You haven't said what the difference in cost is for buying vs renting. That matters and it differs from region to region

Old 08-30-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Before reading a single word of the post... if YOU aren't sure then do not buy. Anywhere.
The deeper question though, either way, is how much of your net income you can/will
commit to your housing expenses. Go low either way.

of greater certainty with the job? of making some friends? of learning your way around? YES.

I'd spend about 35% net or less either way. Job is the same (literally the same boss/team, I'm just physically relocating there). I do have some close friends there already, a few I could stay with temporarily until I settle if I needed to. And I am very familiar with the area, having visited often for work.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
You haven't said what the difference in cost is for buying vs renting. That matters and it differs from region to region
I'd be looking to spend between $2 to $2.5K per month either way, whether it's a mortgage (including condo fee) or on rent.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 AM

1,078 posts, read 942,456 times
Rent until you’re absolutely sure which way you want to proceed. It doesn’t matter what we’d do. If you don’t already have an answer for yourself or your market, that automatically gives you the answer right there. Rent and keep researching.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:16 AM

164 posts, read 120,087 times
It's almost always better to buy. Renting is throwing away money.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:22 AM

10,927 posts, read 7,470,540 times
How long will you be there?
Do you really want a condo, or would you prefer a sfh?
Do you think the market will go up or down?

If you're going to be there for years, really want a condo, and think the market is rising, then buy.

If you aren't certain about these, then rent.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:23 AM

6,579 posts, read 8,441,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkoreaus View Post
Disclosure that this is a crystal ball question, so feel free to ignore this if you despise "timing the market" kind of questions.

Doing a quick cost benefit analysis, I would like to incorporate any factors I may not have considered. Look at this question from a long-term investment perspective.

The situation: I'm under contract for my home in NJ, and I am moving to Northern VA soon, still a good seller's market in the particular areas I am interested in. I have enough capital to get a decent condo (not doing SFH this time) in a good area, but the question is, should I?

Should I wait and rent for a bit in anticipation of the eventual decline in the seller's market? Or should I just buy while rates are still fairly low?

Note: Getting to know the area first isn't a concern for me here, as I've frequently visited for work, and have a decent network of friends in the area as well.

Thanks in advance!
Since you mention you're under contract on a home in NJ - I'm not clear if you're considering continuing with that purchase or buying a condo in NoVA? Are you canceling the contract in NJ?

FWIW, if you're asking about NoVA, the NoVA real estate market is pretty steady and I don't expect a decline within the next several years (if at all). How long do you think you'll live in NoVA?

The NoVA subform is a great resource as well. There are a couple of realtors on that forum, familiar with the NoVA market, who might be able to offer some words of wisdom as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance