Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:54 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times

Advertisements

Tipping a high amount was nice when waiters made $2.15/hr. Now in many states like where the OP lives waiters make "min wage" ($11-$13/hr in his state) plus receive their tips. A reduction in tip amount can certainly be warranted. IMO. I no longer tip when in CA or WA/Seattle when picking up food, and I rarely eat out in a restaurant, but if I did I would definitely tip less than if I were in a state where waiters made the reduced min wage.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:01 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,939,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

The prices of restaurant meals have gone through the roof, partly to cover higher minimum wage (currently $11.50 in my state, rising to $13.50 in 2020; higher in some cities etc)., but way beyond that, to really outrageous levels — at least where I live.
Are you sure that is true? For decades Food Service Workers have been exempt from Federal Minimum Wage statutes because of the prevalence of tipping.

I don't remember reading anywhere that Food Service Workers are now covered by Minimum Wage or Living Wage laws.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:03 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Are you sure that is true? For decades Food Service Workers have been exempt from Federal Minimum Wage statutes because of the prevalence of tipping.

I don't remember reading anywhere that Food Service Workers are now covered by Minimum Wage or Living Wage laws.
Depends on city/state, mostly west coast places are upping it.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:17 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,902 times
We always tip 20% (on the bill amount minus tax) unless the service is poor. However, our favorite restaurants have gotten quite pricey and the tip just adds to the already too high price. So, we have increasingly started eating at sit down restaurants that don’t have servers. There are a lot of them around.

One of our favorites is a “Mexican” place called Moe’s. They have a special on Burritos and Burrito bowls. We can both have a huge burrito bowl built to order, chips, salsa, queso and soft drinks for about $14. We have become regulars there on Mondays, Ha!

Old 10-14-2018, 07:22 AM

989 posts, read 769,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
We always tip 20% (on the bill amount minus tax) unless the service is poor. However, our favorite restaurants have gotten quite pricey and the tip just adds to the already too high price. So, we have increasingly started eating at sit down restaurants that don’t have servers. There are a lot of them around.

I think this is the way of the future for restaurants, it is a far better way IMHO. I do not like being waited on anyway, and having to wait for the check at the end of the meal is a pain too. I wish they would do it for REAL meals though as opposed to fast food. It may be a good idea for an up an coming business. Gourmet Self Service?

Old 10-14-2018, 07:31 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
I think the problem is tipping based on a percentage combined with the fact the expected tip has gone from 10% to 15% to now 20%. Think about it, why should the tip be based on percent of cost since the work is the same whether it's a small family joint or Red Lobster (yes I know what most think of Red Lobster, but for much of the country that's as good as it gets)?

Consider the server is working about five tables an hour. And say anywhere from 2 to six people at a table, average 4, or about 20 people an hour. At Red Lobster those 20 people were run somewhere around $25 each or $500. And 20% of that is $100. So the server at Red Lobster gets $100 an hour in tips. Now go to Grandma's Family Table, where the average meal price is maybe $13 per person. Those same 20 people will have $260 in cost of which a 20% tip is $52. Now in either case that's a pretty respectable amount for an hour's work. But they'd done about the same amount of actual production. Served 20 people. Carried about the same amount of food and tableware back and forth. So why would the server in the high priced place earn double the tips just because the food was priced higher?

I think that's the real inequity with tipping -- the lower priced places, which often are more actual work because they turn tables faster, earn less in tips. As for the comment someone made about if you can't afford to tip, then don't eat out. Well that's happening. Restaurants are pricing themselves out of the market. Look at the number of chains we've all eaten at that are on the edge. 20% on top of an overpriced meal can be the deal breaker.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:37 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,948,294 times
I'm going to respectfully suggest to the OP, if you can't afford to leave at least 15% tip.....then you need to find a lower cost restaurant.

Seriously, if your meal costs you $100, 15% is 15 bucks. Are you going to embarrass yourself by only leaving a 10 dollar bill ?? You should be ashamed to set foot in that restaurant again.

We knew when the minimum wage went up in restaurants, the cost of meals would rise accordingly -- this should surprise nobody. Hamburgers at McDonald's will soon cost more than a Steak !!

We enjoy eating out at the many fine restaurants in our area. My tip is not a exercise in higher Math -- double the first number on the bill, that's about 20% and adjust up or down depending on the level of service. Round dollars only. Sign the Credit Card receipt and get on with the night.

Last edited by FiveLoaves; 10-14-2018 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-14-2018, 07:41 AM

989 posts, read 769,995 times
I still think a serverless restaurant would be the answer for those that think like minded, a niche perhaps but I think it would work. One would still need a person to clean the tables, that should be included with the meal costs.

Example, pick you fav restaurant and eliminate the servers:

1) You go into a restaurant and pick your table, each place setting has a water glass.
2) You read the specials on the board and look at the menu. (Remember we used to be able to read)
3) You go to the same alcove that the server would go to and order you meal(s), get a number, Pay for your meal(s), refill your water glass while you are there and pick up a bread bowl for the table.
4) When your name or number is called you go and pick up your meals.
5) Eat meal and leave.

This will work for most single folks and couples. Probably families would not like it, but that is OK as there would be no screaming kids there. In fact it should be adults only.

Just a thought.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:51 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,948,294 times
You've just described a Jersey Mike's Sub Shop, and every Chinese Take-Out in your area.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:01 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
I think this is the way of the future for restaurants, it is a far better way IMHO. I do not like being waited on anyway, and having to wait for the check at the end of the meal is a pain too. I wish they would do it for REAL meals though as opposed to fast food. It may be a good idea for an up an coming business. Gourmet Self Service?
I agree with pretty much all of this. I think full service restaurants will go the way of full service gas stations. Remember those places, usually 4 pumps, when a couple guys would come out in uniform to check your oil, tires, clean your windshield, fill’er up and then give you green stamps on top of it all? Now it’s a place with a dozen+ self serve pumps and a bored kid sitting in a booth behind bullet proof glass.

Some grocery stores have pretty good prepared food sections now. We have eaten in those stores a few times actually (e.g. Wegmans, Whole Foods, Giant Eagle)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance