Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 08:28 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,189,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
UPs only gives 5500 bucks a year. lol you'd be a long time getting a degree on that) . so I take stuff with a grain of salt.
Why would it take you a long time to do it with that? Tuition is only $9-$10k/yr at most of the in-state schools near me. With that you could get a degree for $18-$20k in 4 years. You could also do CC for 2 years at about $3k/yr and then transfer to in-state to finish and end up getting your bachelor's for less than $10k if you leveraged UPSs' tuition reimbursement policy.

For some reason people lump room and board in with the cost of a college education and I've never really understood that as it covers a roof over your head for 9 months and food. If you decide not to go to college do you just sleep on the streets and not eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 10:49 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,993,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post

For some reason people lump room and board in with the cost of a college education and I've never really understood that as it covers a roof over your head for 9 months and food. If you decide not to go to college do you just sleep on the streets and not eat?
Live with parents is an option. Most all I know are very accommodating to their children living with them while attending school full time. Some kids around here commute 40+ miles to college.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,833 posts, read 58,417,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
What he says may have been true for his own kids. ... offers a false narrative to a parent who simply wants to escape any responsibility for helping to educate their son or daughter. Most young people need that help--even if a few do not.
As fully disclosed..
1) I spent 12 yrs homeschooling (24x7) *hint... That is an investment / responsibility... (MY) career and life on hold.
2) 100% of kids wages matched age 12 to age 18 (~$20k each) *hint... That is an investment / responsibility
3) Helped / taught my kids to design and build their own homes (Pre age 16) Funded the land and materials (got paid back when they sold the homes) *hint... That is an investment / responsibility
4) purposed to equip my kids to be 'self-sufficient' long before age 18 (I had to leave home at age 16 due to medical issues with my parents, (and danger to me) by age 18, I was caring for them (& for next 32 yrs))
5) Taught my kids skilled trades, linked them up with knowledgable people and positions that equipped them and brought them experiences to choose career paths (They chose professional [paths, but still retained / benefited from their learned skills).
5) moved family internationally to expose them to other cultures.

Any parent worth their salt dedicates ALL to their kids. Most (in USA) conveniently do so by avoiding the kids and sending them to babysitter schools so the parents can go 'accumulate'. Then "pour on the dough" as a response. Seems to work for most. Then I have to HIRE those kids and TRAIN / endure them

Your contributions to your families will certainly vary.

I did what I could... you will do what you can. No one has to match! (thank goodness)

I am grateful there were options and we were not forced to CONFORM to the USA Status quo.

As mentioned, the 300 kids in our homeschool group were pretty similar to our situations, several of those kids have ended up needing to care for their parents permanently, as did I (MS, ALS, Cancer, Injury, death of parent...). It is truly rich to see those families (and kids) cope and flourish.

Enjoy your contributions to kids,,, it is over in a flash.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:47 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,574,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Why would it take you a long time to do it with that? Tuition is only $9-$10k/yr at most of the in-state schools near me. With that you could get a degree for $18-$20k in 4 years. You could also do CC for 2 years at about $3k/yr and then transfer to in-state to finish and end up getting your bachelor's for less than $10k if you leveraged UPSs' tuition reimbursement policy.

ok so I went to the university of Pittsburgh. instate tuition?? average 18K before all the other things I would need (now I went 35 years ago so I'm using numbers pulled off of internet).

My son went to Temple. He did 1 year at cc. only 1/2 the credits were transferable. Temple tuition (no room and board) is 15000 a year again that was before books and fees. So don't know where you live. we live in Philly.
Temple is ~32 full time with room and board
Villanova ~51K
Penn state ~17K
West Chester University 11K

All before one book is purchased or one fee paid.

just the local schools to PHilly. lol so no, most kids are not getting through school on 10k for all 4 years.

I never said that you HAD to go to college. My kid wants to be a lawyer, if you know how to legally practice law without going to college, please pm me. My other kid is a nurse practiciner. again if you can direct me to how to become one without college believe me, I will take your advice.

I wanted to be an engineer. I became a chemist. again if you know where I can work as a chemist without a degree, let me know.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:12 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,826,001 times
Quote:
ok so I went to the university of Pittsburgh. instate tuition?? average 18K before all the other things I would need (now I went 35 years ago so I'm using numbers pulled off of internet).

My son went to Temple. He did 1 year at cc. only 1/2 the credits were transferable. Temple tuition (no room and board) is 15000 a year again that was before books and fees. So don't know where you live. we live in Philly.
Villanova ~51K
Penn state ~17K

just the local schools to PHilly. lol so no, most kids are not getting through school on 10k for all 4 years.

I never said that you HAD to go to college. My kid wants to be a lawyer, if you know how to legally practice law without going to college, please pm me. My other kid is a nurse practiciner. again if you can direct me to how to become one without college believe me, I will take your advice.

I wanted to be an engineer. I became a chemist. again if you know where I can work as a chemist without a degree, let me know.
University of Pittsburgh used to give a lot of high stars kids free or almost free tuition. One of my kids didn’t want to go there. University of Alabama used to give free tuition too. Same with Baylor University for NMS kids.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:24 PM

2,760 posts, read 1,805,591 times
Quote:

Villanova ~51K
Penn state ~17K

I lived in Washington Twp (Gloucester County) until my kids graduated high school about 5 years ago. What I noticed was a lot of the honors kids were going to Gloucester County CC under their program with Rowan where all of the credits transfer. They did 2 years there and then finished off their degree at Rowan proper. Saved them a ton of money and was actually useful in that a lot of them didn't know exactly what they wanted to do coming out of high school, gave them a couple more years of life experience to figure out what they wanted to major in.

I noticed you left Drexel off the list, which I can understand. It's up over $50k/yr. for the 5 year program now. Incredible how different things are from the mid-80's.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:46 PM

5,346 posts, read 6,189,941 times
Quote:

Villanova ~51K
Penn state ~17K

I was referencing the use of the $5.5k/yr and going to CC for 2 years. Where I went to college is currently $9k/yr for in-state tuition. It looks like West Chester is an option around that price. I wasn't making a comment on going to or not going to college, just saying room and board shouldn't be factored in as a cost to go to college. It's a cost to live on your own while being college-aged.

Again, I didn't say anything about not going to college. Where I live now you could do this:

CC for 2 years: Total cost of tuition and fees for the 2 years: $5k
Transfer to a state university: Total cost of tuition and fees for the final 2 years: $18.3k

Total cost for a 4 year degree: $23.3k.

You don't have to go to a fancy undergrad to become an engineer or lawyer. I went to a state school, got into a fully funded PhD program. My brother went to a state school graduated from a top 5 MSCS program, my sister went to the equivalent in cost to our state school and graduated from a top 20 law school.

College can be as expensive as you want it to be.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:54 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,531,414 times
Quote:

Villanova ~51K
Penn state ~17K

Your examples are more how NOT to do it, not a roadmap for "how to". Like I said, people like to hit the easy button. But that will cost $.

Also there are careers where it isn't cost effective to gain the education. Lawyering is one, unless you are in near the top of your class. Not saying you won't earn a decent living, but the value just isn't there. Lots of debt for a wage that isn't really that high. But that doesn't prevent/stop people from doing that career track and then complaint about debt load once they graduate (I'm sure there are some cost effective ways to obtain the degree however).

Old 11-08-2018, 07:08 AM

3,268 posts, read 5,028,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Also there are careers where it isn't cost effective to gain the education. Lawyering is one, unless you are in near the top of your class. Not saying you won't earn a decent living, but the value just isn't there. Lots of debt for a wage that isn't really that high. But that doesn't prevent/stop people from doing that career track and then complaint about debt load once they graduate (I'm sure there are some cost effective ways to obtain the degree however).
Get stellar grades as an undergraduate and be awarded a scholarship to pay for law school. Which I unfortunately neglected to do.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,587,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Get stellar grades as an undergraduate and be awarded a scholarship to pay for law school. Which I unfortunately neglected to do.
???

isnt there enough companies that pay people for professional school these days? get a job with that undergrad degree, agree to work for them for some years until you work off the tuition assistance... you know where you will work after graduation/have a job, no need to stress over finding a job

if you want to move, get a private loan and buy off/pay off the assistance, and you would be no worse off than if you had taken a private school loan, except interest rates will be lower

i got last year of college paid for by my future employer, terms was i stay for two years. i got paid the same market rate so it didnt matter where i worked and i got a job out of school

a few law firms offer that here too from advertisements, dont know if many do it nationally though. cvs/walgreens pay people to go to pharmacy school, and same for other healthcare jobs by other employers

same with trades company, from hvac to truck drivers, companies pay people to get trained/schooled these days

i advocate scholarships and grants, but employers are giving money to students for a commitment of a few years

a simple way to get a federal job, get a scholarship from a federal agency because you know there is a job at the end of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance