Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 01:38 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,821,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'm doing the cash bonus thing for the first time. I've always used 1 or 2 credit cards and that's it but I opened 3 credit cards to get the cash back with a certain minimum spend in the first 3 months.
I don’t like cash bonus, I have to pay tax on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 01:51 PM

18,344 posts, read 15,855,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don’t like cash bonus, I have to pay tax on it.
It shows up as a credit on my cards. I've never been taxed that I'm aware of.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:08 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,571,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this is what it says on the web site. from my memory of the sign in front of the lounge, it says that its for certain international routes.

"Our United Polaris lounges are available exclusively to our international premium cabin travelers, offering a thoughtful selection of amenities to prepare you for your flight."

i actually never fly in a premium cabin (i dont even pay for extra leg room). so i probably would have a tough time qualifying for a higher level of exclusivity but i still dont understand why not include first class passengers on domestic flights (or maybe let cheaters like me sneak in with an exclusive credit card).
You’re right. I thought it was like Delta One, with select domestic routes, but it appears to be international-only.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:32 PM

26,206 posts, read 21,708,326 times
Quote:
Statement credits and points for credit cards aren’t taxable

Old 03-27-2019, 04:55 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,821,516 times
Quote:
Good to know, thanks.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:52 AM

30,750 posts, read 18,427,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Use the cards that benefit you the most.
Pretty much this. I use my USAA 2.5% Limitless Cashback on most things. But, for airfare, I use my Amex Platinum as I get 5x the points if I book with the airline directly.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:10 AM

4,474 posts, read 8,174,166 times
I just bought my wife a used minivan and the dealership allowed me to put $5k on a credit card for the down payment. My 2 choices were a credit card that gives 1.5% cash back or a Marriott card where it would be worth 10k points. I put it on the Marriott one since we have a weekend trip coming up. I was going to use the annual reward certificate and summer points I had, so this will help replenish the points. I figured the points were "worth" more to me than the $75 cash back in this case.

If I had more lead time, I would have signed up for the capital one savor card to get the $500 sign up bonus. This was a planned purchase, but wasn't expecting to find one so soon in such great condition. The deal was really good though so I had to jump on it. As I was doing the paperwork, I overheard the salesmen calling a woman to tell her not to come to look at it as it was being sold. It was only listed a few days ago. 2013 Odyssey ex-l with only 34k. Didn't even have the marks on the second row for car seats as it was traded in by an older couple for a Buick. 4 new tires, alignment, front/rear brakes pads, oil change, air filter, wipers and appears all maintenance was done by the dealership. All recalls had already been completed. Talked them down to 18500+tax titles tags etc. Wife couldn't stop smiling when I brought it home.

3.24% @60 months

Old 04-03-2019, 07:48 AM

143 posts, read 316,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
OK for the sake of argument, you have great credit and ALWAYS pay off your credit card balances on time.

I'm looking at doing the Capital One Savor card in the future because they give 4x points on dining and entertaining. Plus that $500 bonus! The only issue I have is with the annual fee so I probably will cancel it once I get close to renewal. I would actually do better switching to the Savor One card after a year. It only has 3% cash back on the same categories but without an annual fee.

For simplicity, it's probably better use the least amount of cards so I don't need to keep track huh?

We have only used the Fidelity Visa with 2% cash back for many years. After seeing the above post I immediately applied for the Capital One Savor card, charged the $3000 to earn the $500 bonus within 3 weeks. Opened a second account in my husbands name the following month, charged $3000 in 4 weeks and are now waiting for our second $500 bonus check! Balance paid in full on both accounts. The easiest $1000 we ever made! The annual fee was waived for the first year but I will close both accounts long before the year is up. We are now back to using the Fidelity Visa only. Thanks oneasterisk !

Old 06-07-2019, 08:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,849,478 times
so i just got charged my annual fee for my united club card. i then called up to "cancel' the card with the real hopes that they will eliminate or reduce the annual fee somehow. guy didnt budge even when i threatened to hunt him down and kill him. so here i am with a card with 2 real benefits to me: premier access and 4 free bags per trip.

problem with the free bags is that i often dont pay for my flights. so i dont always get that benefit. ill try to figure out what that saved me last year and will save this year.

i like premier access and i like that everyone on my reservation gets the benefit. however, i cant always tell how much it benefits me. i like having a separate check in at newark but i dont usually see whether or not it saved me since its a different floor. i know it has helped me sometimes. i dont really feel they do anything for "special luggage handling" except put an orange sticker on my bag so i look like mr big shot.

im conflicted on keeping it.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:06 AM

5,909 posts, read 4,459,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so i just got charged my annual fee for my united club card. i then called up to "cancel' the card with the real hopes that they will eliminate or reduce the annual fee somehow. guy didnt budge even when i threatened to hunt him down and kill him. so here i am with a card with 2 real benefits to me: premier access and 4 free bags per trip.

problem with the free bags is that i often dont pay for my flights. so i dont always get that benefit. ill try to figure out what that saved me last year and will save this year.

i like premier access and i like that everyone on my reservation gets the benefit. however, i cant always tell how much it benefits me. i like having a separate check in at newark but i dont usually see whether or not it saved me since its a different floor. i know it has helped me sometimes. i dont really feel they do anything for "special luggage handling" except put an orange sticker on my bag so i look like mr big shot.

im conflicted on keeping it.
That escalated. Usually that one gets em every time!

Maybe you need to go full Captain Spaulding and threaten their whole family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance