Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 12:28 PM

18,181 posts, read 15,755,827 times

Advertisements

Taxes are complicated even when you think they aren't or shouldn't be. If you're using this as a test of financial literacy I'd say that's not a valid test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 12:34 PM

45,522 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Taxes are complicated even when you think they aren't or shouldn't be. If you're using this as a test of financial literacy I'd say that's not a valid test.
The "test" is that so many people calculate how much they pay in income tax on the size of their refund and not what they actually pay.

You wouldn't believe how many people don't realize, and won't believe it even when they're told and shown, that their refund is actually their money to begin with. They think it's a gift of "free" money.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:34 PM

10,505 posts, read 7,068,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
well, it is technically better to owe money than to get a refund. A refund is your own money coming back to you that you loaned freely to the government. It's a bad idea. At a minimum you could've taken that money and put in high yield savings and got a few bucks interest. $2000 at 2% is 40 bucks, may not be much but you can go and have a nice dinner with it instead of donating it to Uncle Sam.

Also, these people act like it's free money that they are "relying" on... which is ridiculous. It's money that they already earned that's being returned to them. It's not a grant from the government. Whether they get it upfront or in the end makes no difference whatsoever which makes them financially ignorant.

Yep. this is not free money.

The ideal situation is to get to the end of your 1040 and learn that you have to write the government a check for $50.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:47 PM

21,981 posts, read 9,562,060 times
There is only ONE number you should be looking at to see if you are better off in 2018 under the new tax plan. Effective rate. Look at your effective rate compared to the prior year. Not marginal rate, not total taxes, not refund amount, not amount owed. EFFECTIVE rate. How to calculate it: Total taxes paid/Gross income. If you haven't done that, don't come back here griping about 'my taxes went up'. Because if you haven't done that, you don't know.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:17 PM

524 posts, read 576,133 times
Anyone who has been around the working poor could have explained how messing with people's refunds would blow up. Many people may be financially illiterate, but this was predictable and stupid on the governments part. Mainly because no one asked for the interest free loan they give the government to be fixed. To find out after the fact that it was fixed for them, is a little frustrating.

Last edited by Pooks1976; 02-24-2019 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-24-2019, 01:29 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,323,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Yep. this is not free money.

The ideal situation is to get to the end of your 1040 and learn that you have to write the government a check for $50.
Yes and no. For many of John Q Public, it's forced savings which is never a bad thing. I'd rather get a small refund of a few hundred dollars, than have to write a check. But you're right - the best option in theory is if you have to write a small check.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:12 PM

I like when I get a refund but a very small one. One year I got $2 back from my state taxes. I was pleased with my withholding allowances.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:29 PM

264 posts, read 201,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Now expand this "reporting" to every single story "the news" covers and you'll see why CBS/MSNBC/CNN/Fox/etc lose credibility on pretty much anything they cover that they can slant to further their agenda.

I'm not a Trumpitier or Faux News or Rush follower at all but for god's sake I wish the MSM would report with an unbiased slant for once.

Warning....do NOT hold your breath while waiting for this to happen.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:34 PM

I stopped watching the news on TV years ago and get news from Reuters or AP, both of which offer RSS feeds which I can consolidate on my mobile devices. No one is stuck with any particular news source, and if you want unbiased news you can manage to get it or at least close to unbiased. That said, some people will claim any news they don't like or agree with to be fake news. @@

Old 02-24-2019, 04:41 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,202,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
wow, tons of assumptions
So I'm not going to call these folks "ignoramuses" maybe I am one too. I admit I most definitely do not understand our tax code.
Ignoramus is spot on.

If less taxes are deducted from your paycheck, then, logically, it stands to reason your tax refund will be less, because you paid less in taxes.

A person so devoid of logic that they cannot reason this out is truly an ignoramus and really shouldn't be allowed to vote.

At the very least, those persons should consider giving their high school diplomas back.

How is it even possible one can be graduated from high school and not understand that if you pay $3,000 less in taxes, your tax refund is less.

You can't get a refund on what you didn't pay (unless you happen to qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance