Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 05:05 AM

106,938 posts, read 109,196,656 times

Advertisements

the reality is our deficit has been pretty transparent to most Americans all our lives and it likely will continue...

the thought that i am paying less in tax rates 40 years later says as long as the world buys our debt , no one notices this debt in our daily lives ..

i got better things to worry about since i have no control over this ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 05:12 AM

45,552 posts, read 60,783,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you underpay on withholding, then you have to pay penalties and interest at effective total interest rates of 6%-9%. It doesn't necessarily make sense to pay this type of rate in order to avoid the opportunity cost of not earning 2% on your savings. In practice, getting your withholding exactly right is nearly impossible, so you're always going to be a little bit over or a little bit under.

Best practice is to try to get a small refund rather than a large one, but trying to get no refund at all is rather silly and often doesn't work in your favor.
I've owed taxes several times over the years and never had to pay any interest or penalties. Are you sure you don't mean if you are late paying when due?

Old 02-24-2019, 05:14 AM

106,938 posts, read 109,196,656 times
noooo .. if you go over a certain limit in what you owe there is interest .

you must have tax withholding equal to at least 90 percent of your tax liability when you file your return, or 100 percent of your tax liability from the prior year. You also meet the requirements if you owe less than $1,000. If you don’t have enough income withheld during the year to meet the minimum requirements, you will owe interest and penalties when you file your tax return.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:19 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,328,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
This is an example of the pervasiveness of financial illiteracy in our society. These people claim they did not get a tax cut... well, they did, in terms of a bigger paycheck. If they noticed a much bigger paycheck why did they not save that extra money? These ignoramuses are equating a refund to how much they are taxed, when one does not know how to do basic math that is how it is I assume

Correct, no argument from me on the incompetence of 80% of the American public with regards to finances. The lack of financial education in our left wing schools is part of the problem, but anyone with some ambition can learn on their own. People just choose not to.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:32 AM

88,701 posts, read 85,065,285 times
LOL at the non-profit consultant who was counting on her tax refund to pay her property taxes.

Wonder what kind of advice she gives to those non-profits.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:38 AM

45,552 posts, read 60,783,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
noooo .. if you go over a certain limit in what you owe there is interest .

you must have tax withholding equal to at least 90 percent of your tax liability when you file your return, or 100 percent of your tax liability from the prior year. You also meet the requirements if you owe less than $1,000. If you don’t have enough income withheld during the year to meet the minimum requirements, you will owe interest and penalties when you file your tax return.
OK. I actually knew that. I was just responding to the "having" to pay penalties and interest if you owe.

Your next question will be why I didn't have enough withholding taken out. A question I posed to payroll different times and never got an answer.

They recently forgot to apply the correct code to disburse direct deposit paychecks so no one got paid until the next week. Those people receiving paper checks also had an issue that pay.

Over the course of 31 years my check bounced more than once, including my very first one. This was a school system by the way.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:36 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,998,699 times
You think that's bad, head on over to the "Did you do your taxes yet" thread. And that's people who claim to be financially literate.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:43 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,744,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've owed taxes several times over the years and never had to pay any interest or penalties. Are you sure you don't mean if you are late paying when due?
If what you owe is over a certain percentage of what was actually withheld, you have to pay a penalty for "under withholding". If you actually owe $25K in taxes based on AGI and your employer only withheld $10K, you owe $15K. The IRS will penalize a percentage of the $15K. I disagree with this. As long as all taxes are paid by April 15, there should be no penalty.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:12 AM

354 posts, read 281,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
wow, tons of assumptions
So I'm not going to call these folks "ignoramuses" maybe I am one too. I admit I most definitely do not understand our tax code.

As to why they didn't save, again I'll go back and re-listening but I didn't hear any thing about no savings.

well my refund went down, I'm not making anymore money and I'm pretty sure I have a savings
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
well, it is technically better to owe money than to get a refund. A refund is your own money coming back to you that you loaned freely to the government. It's a bad idea. At a minimum you could've taken that money and put in high yield savings and got a few bucks interest. $2000 at 2% is 40 bucks, may not be much but you can go and have a nice dinner with it instead of donating it to Uncle Sam.

Also, these people act like it's free money that they are "relying" on... which is ridiculous. It's money that they already earned that's being returned to them. It's not a grant from the government. Whether they get it upfront or in the end makes no difference whatsoever which makes them financially ignorant.
Don't feel bad, I used Tuition Assistance to take a 3 credit hour tax class from UMUC and still don't have a good handle on much beyond individual income taxes with either the standard deduction or simple itemizing. I struggled once they got into small business tax issues.

There is a caveat to tax returns; in some cases a portion of the return is a grant of sorts. The common term I've heard used is 'tax expenditures' (https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/brie...hey-structured), such as the Child Tax Credit and the Earned Income Credit. It's not difficult for a two kid household making the median income to get back slightly more than they paid in income tax.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:22 AM

4,887 posts, read 4,828,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Best practice is to try to get a small refund rather than a large one, but trying to get no refund at all is rather silly and often doesn't work in your favor.
No, the best practice is to first understand the simple IRS rules about the withholding/estimated taxes compared to tax liability, and to then make sure that the amount withheld or paid is within the safe harbor described in those rules. I've never incurred a payment penalty and haven't received a refund in the last couple of decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance