Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:02 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,759,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Just for the record many small SUV's get the same gas mileage or even better mileage than a mini-van does. My 6 cyl. 250hp Saturn Vue gets 27-28 highway and about 22-23 around town. Better than some/most mini-vans. Not all SUV's are tanks! My Vue is actually shorter length wise and has the same width as my wives 4 cyl. Mazda 3.
I said FULL Size SUV's.....(I also had a suburu forrester a couple yrs ago)...

Rav4', CRV's, etc are definitely ok.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 09:31 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,801,967 times
Not bad, I drive a 1969 Dodge with a 440 cubic inch V8 engine now and it gets 12 city 20 highway. Only temporary till my other dodge with a 318 V8 is ready to go. I was experimenting with hydrogen and resonance and got up to 38 miles per gallon before blowing a head gasket. I did increase mileage by removing the air conditioning compressor and installing absorptive cooling from the exhaust. I know of a wacky guy who gets 40 miles per gallon from a full-size SUV with a car full of gadgetry. Don't forget, gas was cheap when people drove muscle cars that got poor mileage.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:21 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,864,068 times
Yeah. Wife wants me to sell it, because it uses a lot of gas.
What? No. It's PAID for. I've had that car for 18 years, heh.

Let's say that a new car costs 10,000 bucks.
Thats 2857 gallons of gas @ 3.50 a gallon.

Even at 15 miles per gallon for the Torino, thats 38,805 miles.

Insurance on my car is 50 bucks for 6 months.
50 BUCKS.

Tag fee? What tag fee? It's an antique with antique plates. I never have to pay for "tabs" again, after the initial registration.

Plus, it is easy to find in a parking lot.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:50 PM

749 posts, read 2,777,322 times
There is no way I could live back where I live with out my Explorer. I am no city driving soccer mom. We go camping, off-roading and we live 2 miles back in the woods on a one lane twisty hilly dirt road...then its 5 miles on another dirt road til I even hit pavement....and you cant always count on the plows having been out before you have to go somewhere. I love my Explorer, I need my Explorer, but I hate how much it cost to fill her up.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:13 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,479,147 times
I don't think it's SUV's that drive up the price of gas. Though, people who drive them must really not care too much about filling the tank. But whatever, it's their wallet. When people buy monster SUVs they are going to be stereotyped... just like everyone else on the planet.

I just had a friend come over from Germany and he made an interesting comment about seeing lots of expensive BIG vehicles. What could I say? It's true. The bigger, more of a fuel sucker it is... the more we dig on it. That's changing though... slowly. Go over to Europe, and you won't see Suburbans, full sized Land Rovers, or Hummers. The SUVs are a lot smaller - gas is too freakin' expensive and you'll never find a parking space big enough 'cause everything is "compact" sized. Try parallel parking an Expedition in Paris then go get gas and you'll get a good reason why full sized SUVs suck. We are going to catch up to European gas prices one day...

Old 04-10-2008, 03:19 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,230,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Surprise! Facts rule again!

Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com

According to this, current cars make up 49% of the vehicle sales base, with Midsize, Large, and Luxury SUV's accounting for less than 12%. And this, therefore, is the root cause of a problem? Look deeper.

Well, these are current sales figures. March 2008 and YTD 2008. While I'm glad to see that sales of large and luxury SUVs are down this year, there are still lots of them on the road, sold in previous years, guzzling gas and endangering drivers of small cars.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,257,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I agree that the US has gone a little SUV crazy. Single people don't need 'em, single child families don't need 'em. Heck, even medium families could do without them. However, I think they work well for larger people. My husband is 6'5- 260 and has hip problems. He is very uncomfortable in a sedan of any kind since they are too low to the ground. We have an older Durango with 95,000 miles on it- he maintains it so it runs great. He agrees its a guzzler.
How nice of you to say that most people dont need SUV's, that we're all crazy to have them, and then you go about explaining why you have one. Let me guess, your a Democrat..

Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,257,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Well, these are current sales figures. March 2008 and YTD 2008. While I'm glad to see that sales of large and luxury SUVs are down this year, there are still lots of them on the road, sold in previous years, guzzling gas and endangering drivers of small cars.
haha.. you just didnt accuse me of endangering drivers of small cars, because I'm being responsible and buy cars that ensures the safety of my children?

Old 04-10-2008, 06:35 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,307,257 times
I knew I would hit some raw nerves with this one, the truth hurts. Hey face it folks the American consumer drives the worlds markets. In the 80's and 90's it was our fuel conservation that brought down oil prices and it is our glutiny that has driven back it up. Sure the dollars devaluation contributes to some of the rise but as some others have pointed out the rise in oil is world wide. It is simple economics, when you consume too much you cause the price to rise. Anyone who thinks full size pickups and mid to large size SUV's only make up 12% of the cars on the road must be blind, count them on the freeway and your neighbors driveways. You can make excuses or deny that you have any resposiblity but it does not change reality. The American gas pig is the problem, and young men are dying overseas to ensure the American right and ability to overconsume.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:04 PM

20,186 posts, read 23,911,482 times
There is NOTHING wrong with gas consumption. If the SUV people have to pay more because of rising prices... OH well... people think that gas prices will stay the same forever are delusional... If gas climbs to $8 a gallon then pay it and stop whining... the gas doesn't belong to you... driving is NOT a right either... if you choose to use then use it and stop whining when the price goes up... if you can't afford it then maybe you shouldn't drive.. nobody is making you drive.. its a sad world when you use SUV drivers and blame them for something they have no control over... yeah they determines prices, availability, Iraq war, devaluation of the dollar, and tells OPEC how much to pump... get a life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance