Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:09 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,475,520 times

Advertisements

I feel really dumb for a few bad decisions I've made in the past that have cost me money. Now I count every penny I spend, and I kick myself for every dumb decision I make. Even yesterday, I spend $7 on a pair of socks at Marshalls that are cotton and fall down to my ankles. I think, "Oh, what a dummy, that was $7 out the window!" Of course, I've made even stupider bad decisions that have cost me a LOT more than $7. When I was young, I threw away money because I did not understand it.

I try so hard these days to be good with money, but I can't keep from thinking of myself as a "dummy."

Help me to stop beating myself up for my past financial mistakes. Have other people made bad decisions? How do you cope?

Thank you,

Woofers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 09:13 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,577,766 times
you mean list my stupid moves on CDF
hang out a sign and say kick me
easily available to all, the entire world on a google
ill pass.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:15 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,284,351 times
Well hell yeah I've made some dumb financial decisions. Getting married and having kids would be number one. Every bad decision following has been related to it. LMAO

Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 AM

1,670 posts, read 4,383,435 times
Default Hiring sh*tty contractors

I hired an idiot to build my new garage, which ended up behind schedule and over budget. It started out good, then the wheels fell off as I realized the guy was a fraud. Got to the point where I told him to take a hike and found reliable people to help get it done. It cost me a lot...emotionally and financially. But it's done now.

I love my new garage, but wish I could have about $5k back right about now...I am considering taking him to court, but wondering if it's really worth it, knowing that even if I 'win', I may never see a dime.

I will flame him via the BBB website...if anything, hopefully I can help ensure he gets no business from others. I don't wish harm on too many people, but he is at the top of my list.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,742,104 times
Dating my ex, buying him stuff while he was unemployed, and letting him move in with me without paying rent for 4 months...only to have him cheat on me with a little 18 year old tart (he's 26). Moving in before marriage...never again.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:01 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,381,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I feel really dumb for a few bad decisions I've made in the past that have cost me money. Now I count every penny I spend, and I kick myself for every dumb decision I make. Even yesterday, I spend $7 on a pair of socks at Marshalls that are cotton and fall down to my ankles. I think, "Oh, what a dummy, that was $7 out the window!" Of course, I've made even stupider bad decisions that have cost me a LOT more than $7. When I was young, I threw away money because I did not understand it.

I try so hard these days to be good with money, but I can't keep from thinking of myself as a "dummy."

Help me to stop beating myself up for my past financial mistakes. Have other people made bad decisions? How do you cope?

Thank you,

Woofers
I try not to worry about it, but then I later try to avoid buying things I don't need. If you can try to return what you bought if you don't want it, assuming there is some kind of return policy. I try to shop at places with good return policies. Also, I buy some things used like of Craigslist and ebay, so if it's something I need or want I can save money that way.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:34 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,672,894 times

Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,901,040 times
Smerky - I hope you did not marry the jerk. OTOH Just because a guy moves in some women think they own him.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:41 AM

1,670 posts, read 4,383,435 times
love and money....the neverending saga

Old 11-14-2008, 10:48 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,475,520 times
Thank you every one for telling me your painful stories of money badly spent. I don't feel alone. Would love to hear more stories if anyone else feels like sharing.

Woofers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance