Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:04 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,361,273 times

Advertisements

Not too many:
Going into the career field I was in for 25 years - AND not getting out of it sooner. (graphic design)
Staying at my last job way too long (deadend - 5 years)
Not checking the zoning before we bought our property. (potentially could affect it's value)
NOT getting a bachelor's degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 06:43 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,785,522 times
Getting married and making 3x more than my wife ... while she spends 6x more than me. lol

As someone stated earlier, when single, I could do a bed, a TV, and a CPU in a $475 a month apartment. Cheap 6-pack on Friday and frozen pizza on college football saturdays. Now, I have too much furnature, too many wall decorations, and spend $75-$150 each weekend for our "entertainment" (when I really would just rather be home drinking and watching football or something). Not to mention, "we" accured her car note.

All in all ... I love her, of course . But my advice to any guy - stay single till you are 30 or later if you want to see your hard-earned money.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:30 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,304,939 times
It's funny how many of these posts involve marriage and love ending up a stupid financial mistake...

And they say love is FREE . Hummmm...

Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,476,711 times
Emptying my 401k and putting the money into Nigerian bonds....

Old 11-18-2008, 12:01 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,258,957 times
Well, I'm not gonna sweat over crappy $7 socks. Well, I'll probably whine about it every once in a while but like my Dad used to tell me, "Get duped once, shame on them; get duped again, shame on you." Just don't make the same mistake twice! We are always going to get duped about something though I'm sure there are those out there that think they never do/will. Just make sure when it really counts - like buying a house or car or other big ticket items - you make an informed decision!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 7,537 times
Doing a combination of "bad" things when I was married as a young woman to a husband who was wasteful with money...staying there for 20 years, having a child, etc., not getting a college degree. I'm wiser and much older now, but have to work like someone who is 28 instead of 58 to play "catch up." And I know I never will.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:32 PM

885 posts, read 1,523,254 times
Several silly start-up business attempts fresh out of college

Old 09-29-2011, 05:01 PM

99 posts, read 214,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you mean list my stupid moves on CDF
hang out a sign and say kick me
easily available to all, the entire world on a google
ill pass.
Yeah, geez, next time you sign your resume as "Huckleberry3911948" it'll be so clear to your employers what a mistake you are waiting to happen...!

Old 09-29-2011, 05:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,985,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I feel really dumb for a few bad decisions I've made in the past that have cost me money. Now I count every penny I spend, and I kick myself for every dumb decision I make. Even yesterday, I spend $7 on a pair of socks at Marshalls that are cotton and fall down to my ankles. I think, "Oh, what a dummy, that was $7 out the window!" Of course, I've made even stupider bad decisions that have cost me a LOT more than $7. When I was young, I threw away money because I did not understand it.
The first thing you have to do to be good with money is to diligently keep every receipt for everything you purchase....food, clothes, goods of all kinds. You can get little plastic envelopes with a band around them, and pockets inside. In mine there are receipts for everything by category. If I buy an item that comes in a box, like a fan or a coffeepot, I always instruct the cashier to tape my receipt onto the side of the box. I keep those boxes for at least a year. If the thing doesn't work, or if it stops working in a few months, even up to a year (sometimes more), I trot out the box, pack it up and bring it back for a full refund, seeing the manager if necessary.

If a loaf of bread is stale, a piece of fish kind of iffy, or the inside of fruit smushy, back it goes to the market on my next trip, with the receipt. With bread at $3 o4 $4 a loaf and fruit running sky-high (not to mention the cost of fresh fish or meat), I don't fool around. I am going to hold markets accountable for what they sell. Why should I take the loss?

If you toss your receipts, you can't take anything back....unless you have the bag (like the Marshalls bag) and you can go into the store and find that item to show you got it there. Without the receipt you will only get store credit, but that's the next best thing to cash back.

Now dig out your receipt and bring the socks back to M's, telling them the socks were too stretchy and wouldn't stay up. Be confident and polite in your return. Get your money back. Anyway, paying $7 for a pair of socks is over the top. Find a pair for 2 bucks....or 3 pr for 6 bucks.

OOPS, just saw that the OP was in 2008!! My goodness how time flies. Well, my humble advice still applies

Old 09-29-2011, 05:58 PM

861 posts, read 1,125,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I feel really dumb for a few bad decisions I've made in the past that have cost me money. Now I count every penny I spend, and I kick myself for every dumb decision I make. Even yesterday, I spend $7 on a pair of socks at Marshalls that are cotton and fall down to my ankles. I think, "Oh, what a dummy, that was $7 out the window!" Of course, I've made even stupider bad decisions that have cost me a LOT more than $7. When I was young, I threw away money because I did not understand it.

I try so hard these days to be good with money, but I can't keep from thinking of myself as a "dummy."

Help me to stop beating myself up for my past financial mistakes. Have other people made bad decisions? How do you cope?

Thank you,

Woofers

Yup. Everyday I have a spending problem and a compulsive shopper, I think I need to see a therapist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance