Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 02:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,302,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
A driver of a car that get 40 MPG and drives 400 miles a week is using the same amount of fuel, BUT they are putting far more wear and tear on the highways. IMO, the SUV driver is being more socially responsible in this comparison.

Then there are those of us who's daily commute is 80+ miles a day. And, it is what it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 02:56 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,019,256 times
Greatday wrote:
Then there are those of us who's daily commute is 80+ miles a day. And, it is what it is
I absolutely agree with you, and I would add that those who drive that much for whatever reason are consuming a disproportinate amount of resources. That is neither good not bad...it just is.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,302,451 times
Quote:
Greatday wrote:
I absolutely agree with you, and I would add that those who drive that much for whatever reason are consuming a disproportinate amount of resources. That is neither good not bad...it just is.
Yet, we pay for the utilization of that resource -

Old 04-11-2008, 03:10 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,890,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
EXACTLY! We pay for it cause we use more of it...so what is the problem? Should fat people get charge more taxes because they eat more?

Old 04-11-2008, 03:10 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,019,256 times
Greatday wrote:
IMO, paying for the utilization of that resource is poor rationale for disproportinate consumption.

evilnewbie wrote:
EXACTLY! We pay for it cause we use more of it...so what is the problem? Should fat people get charge more taxes because they eat more?
Personally, I'd love to see a graduated Consumption tax replace the Income Tax. The more a person consumes, the higher the tax they pay. However, making something like that work would be a major challenge.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:45 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,287,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
So how does that work, when our refineries are currently lowering their production with our current surpluses?
Yea I agree... in some extent the refineries are controlling the prices today. Even though there is a surplus of Crude, it's gasoline that makes things run. If refineries limit their production, then that means that the oil companies are actually restricting supply, and therefore keeping prices high or making it go higher.

It's sad but true, even with the dollars decent, USDX decline of ~30% since 2002 doesn't really explain the way crude oil price has increased over 500% (2002 - $20/barrel now $109/barrel - Brent Crude Index). Even gasoline prices have tripled (300% - Energy Information Administration) since '02 (1.10/gal to 3.30/gal April).

So, I guess as long as gasoline use is inelastic, oil companies control the spigot (refineries), car manufacturers are in collusion, and oil companies line our politicians pockets... gasoline prices will continue to crop up.

The only way we can control some part of this is to get out of the inelastic part, and conserve as much as possible.

Here's a good article about this:
There Is No Gas Shortage

-chuck22b

Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,890,561 times
Quote:
Personally, I'd love to see a graduated Consumption tax replace the Income Tax. The more a person consumes, the higher the tax they pay. However, making something like that work would be a major challenge.
I don't think that would ever happen cause the high-end retailers would send their lobbyists. I agree though a graduated sales tax determined on the price of the product sounds like a good idea but not easily done as you mentioned... the absurdly wealthy however will either consume less and pay more or consume more by traveling to another country and buy without paying the higher taxes...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 PM

592 posts, read 803,635 times
So, we are mad about what other people are driving??

Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,523,601 times
Here we go again. The thread is 5 years old..........

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 10-25-2013, 01:23 AM

106,919 posts, read 109,196,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Yea I agree... in some extent the refineries are controlling the prices today. Even though there is a surplus of Crude, it's gasoline that makes things run. If refineries limit their production, then that means that the oil companies are actually restricting supply, and therefore keeping prices high or making it go higher.

It's sad but true, even with the dollars decent, USDX decline of ~30% since 2002 doesn't really explain the way crude oil price has increased over 500% (2002 - $20/barrel now $109/barrel - Brent Crude Index). Even gasoline prices have tripled (300% - Energy Information Administration) since '02 (1.10/gal to 3.30/gal April).

So, I guess as long as gasoline use is inelastic, oil companies control the spigot (refineries), car manufacturers are in collusion, and oil companies line our politicians pockets... gasoline prices will continue to crop up.

The only way we can control some part of this is to get out of the inelastic part, and conserve as much as possible.

Here's a good article about this:
There Is No Gas Shortage

-chuck22b

crude oil prices lagged so badley through my lifetime , i am 61 they eventually had to catch up.

gas was .30 cents a gallon when i started to drive.

the subway was .15 cents , pizza and a soda was .25 for both , ice cream was .15 cents , a hot dog was .25 cents so and so on.

every other product soared but the one product that came from some of the most inhospital places on the planet, had to be shipped around the world ,processed and refined ,had more middleman handling it , and huge taxes , was cheaper than a bottle of water or milk .

it is amazing the product is not way more . the only reason it is not is the oil companies were the worst price fixers ever.

they had to pay big dividends just to attract investors for decades until profits rose for their shareholders .

next time you complain about gasoline think about what a gallon of bottled water cost or milk which comes from a cow upstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance