Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 02:58 PM

423 posts, read 1,237,808 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some insight on how a US resident living in Spain should approach their US Federal and State taxes.

My son has lived in Michigan for a couple of years and has worked for the same employer. This year, he moved to Spain to pursue a masters degree. He was able to change his work status from full time to part time and is able to work online for his same employer.

So from January thru September 2018, he worked and lived full time in Michigan. From September through December, he has lived in Spain and continued working for his Michigan employer online and part time. It seems to me that he is an expat, but he doesn't get any income from foreign sources. He's living off of his savings and part time salary. His money is still in his US checking and savings accounts.

He's single, doesn't own a car or home and is still covered under my medical insurance. It's not a job requirement for him to be in Spain. He could live anywhere and work remotely.

Normally it would seem straightforward, he has US/Michigan income and takes the standard deduction.

Are his taxes harder than that?

How does the fact that he is temporarily (for the duration of his degree program) overseas affect his taxes?

He'll probably go to a tax firm, but I thought that I would ask how different his taxes will be this year.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 04:48 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Spain is not my forte. He may want to find out if his student status allows non school related work for compensation.

Yes, he has to file US income tax on monies earned abroad.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:30 PM

Threestep …. thanks for the response. I'll have him check about the non school related income.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:09 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Find an affordable tax preparer.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:23 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Check here for some recommended "ex-pat" tax preparers:

American Citizens Abroad Tax Return Preparer Directory

and

Search results in Spain, Madrid | Listing Results

Old 03-03-2019, 07:47 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,003 times
US is one of the few countries in the world which taxes on world wide income with some leeway allowed when living in certain countries which signed agreements with US( google double taxation agreement countries)- they allow you to get credit for taxes paid to those countries...
So it is very simple for your son- he has to file income tax on all his income.
Even if he spend all year in Spain this year and makes money only in Spain- he still has to file US income tax
I found you a treaty with Spain for IRS- just read and follow instructions carefully- if your son needs it for this year ...

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...-treaty-tables
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/spain.pdf
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_taxation

And as your son was in US for more than 183 days- he is still considered residing here- so any way you look at it- your son should file as usual, as if he was not in Spain.
The reason Tina Turner and Madonna renounced their US citizenship- US income tax they had to pay even though they lived and made money abroad...

Last edited by Nik4me; 03-03-2019 at 07:56 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 05:42 PM

Thanks everyone. I did connect him with a tax preparer that has experience with students living overseas.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:28 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
I'm looking for some insight on how a US resident living in Spain should approach their US Federal and State taxes.

My son has lived in Michigan for a couple of years and has worked for the same employer. This year, he moved to Spain to pursue a masters degree. He was able to change his work status from full time to part time and is able to work online for his same employer.

So from January thru September 2018, he worked and lived full time in Michigan. From September through December, he has lived in Spain and continued working for his Michigan employer online and part time. It seems to me that he is an expat, but he doesn't get any income from foreign sources. He's living off of his savings and part time salary. His money is still in his US checking and savings accounts.

He's single, doesn't own a car or home and is still covered under my medical insurance. It's not a job requirement for him to be in Spain. He could live anywhere and work remotely.

Normally it would seem straightforward, he has US/Michigan income and takes the standard deduction.

Are his taxes harder than that?

How does the fact that he is temporarily (for the duration of his degree program) overseas affect his taxes?

He'll probably go to a tax firm, but I thought that I would ask how different his taxes will be this year.

Thanks.
It's not really that complicated from the US perspective. If he has dual citizenship in Spain or permanent resident status, he could qualify as a bona fide resident. If he doesn't have citizenship in Spain and is just on a temporary visa, he doesn't. That means physical presence. To meet the physical presence test you have to be outside the US for 330 days in a 12-month period.

What he should do depends on whether or not he will remain outside the US for 330 days in a 12-month period. Having moved there in September, he obviously hasn't yet. If he intends to stay in Spain in 2019, however, and doesn't spend more than 35 days in the US in a 12-month period, he will. That can be handled two ways. He can either file a return by April 15th and then amend later on or, the much better option, file an extension and file the return in October.

Simple example is he left September 1st and did not come back at all. By October 1st, 2019, he's now been out of the country for over 330 days and meets the requirement. The income he earned from September 2nd (he was still in the US on the 1st) through December 31st of 2018 is now exempted. You report the income as normal and claim the foreign income exclusion. It doesn't matter that he's working for the same company remotely. On the other hand if he left in September and then returns the US for two months during the summer when there is a break in the master's program, he won't qualify.

State return will vary. Tax prep software will handle it though.

I have no idea how Spain works or what his legal status in Spain even is. If he's on a student visa and doesn't have a legal right to work in Spain, the best answer is probably to just pretend he's not earning any income. At any rate, when I was in Prague for four months it's what I did. As far as they were concerned I was there on a tourist visa. Majority of my income was coming from working as a contractor with a US based company and direct deposited into a US bank account and I paid the wire and foreign transaction fees to move it to HSBC locally. Fortunately, I wasn't paycheck to paycheck as that gets expensive. I also did some under the table work for local companies. In Prague they just ignored it. It's probably harder in Spain but as long as it's a US company going to a US bank, they're not going to know.

Prague was very cash based at the time. Nowadays, it's probably easier to just use a US credit card with no foreign transaction fees but that's not a tax issue.

Last edited by Malloric; 03-04-2019 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance