Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 02:48 PM

6,847 posts, read 11,616,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
And this isn’t his only table..... he has 3 other tables and average turn around time per table is 1.5 to 2 hours. We’re talking $50 to $60 an hour at the low end if he had 4 tables like the couple in scenario 1.

Thoughts?
Please realize the waiter is not going to keep that $50 - $60 an hour. He’s going to be paying a share to the bus boy, hostess, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 03:28 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,520,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I'm sorry if I offended you. That was not my intent. I have only been responding in context of the topic from the original thread. That's how forums like this work.

The norm is to tip 20% on the total bill. The original question: "Does the waiter in scenario 2 really deserve almost another 100, from ONE table, for walking to pick up two bottles of wine?"

Yes, the waiter does deserve it. That's the social norm in tipping in the US. If you don't like it, don't eat out, or don't order $250 bottles of wine. Breaking social norms because what you'd pay under them is "too much" IS being cheap, to me.

We clearly don't see eye to eye, so we can agree to disagree on this. All the best.
I definitely don't agree the norm is 20%, and I certainly don't agree it includes expensive beverages. It really shouldn't even include the tax on the meal.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:34 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,434,568 times
A lot of people have said they stopped dining out because the new tipping standard is now 20%. We don't dine out much either, anymore. Servers don't make much money when it's a slow night at the restaurant.

I think restaurant managers could afford to pay their servers more money, instead, they pass on the cost to the customer.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:41 PM

26,204 posts, read 21,698,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's like double our annual spending on the category, in the real world most people don't spend anywhere near that kind of money on eating a meal out.
You only spend 75.00 a year eating out? Damn. I’m wasteful with it to an extreme but are even more extreme on the other end

Old 04-11-2019, 03:47 PM

107,125 posts, read 109,484,448 times
We eat dinner out every week ..... usually my days in the studio my wife comes so the groupies don’t get me so we will go somewhere to eat out at least once a week ... typical dinner , nothing fancy runs about 70 with a tip.. maybe once every few months we will do a level up in the 100 dollar range ..... twice a year we will do a steak house and those are pricey

Old 04-11-2019, 04:16 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,142,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i agree that it seems improper for tip to be purely based on price of the products purchased in many scenarios. so yeah, why should someone get more money for giving you a more expensive bottle of wine if the work they performed is exactly the same? makes sense. sure, we can shut down the discussion with "if you can afford the wine, pay the extra for the tip" but just as a discussion i think its a legitimate issue.

in practice, i just typically give the 20% tip, i dont adjust it just because i dont really think its appropriate.

my issue that im encountering regularly now is the tip request for counter service. i got to panera and a mexican place regularly now and they have ask if i want to tip. while i like to tip well, im not comfortable with the change of a situation where you werent expected to tip at all to now im expected to tip. i dont really think any restaurant should include tipping, they should be responsible for the compensation for their employees and include it in the price i pay for the food.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the more i think about it, the more silly these points seem to be. since when do we base what we pay for things on what we can afford? "oh you bought something expensive so clearly you can afford more money for the poor struggling server." while it may be true, i dont think its really relevant, people generally get paid based on the work they did and not what the customer can or cant afford.

the other point doesnt seem relevant because the person could spend $25 and take a table for 3 hours the same as someone spending $150 for a bottle and sitting 3 hours.

im not entirely sure what the best solution is other than to eliminate tipping and make the employer pay their employees wages.
Silly indeed

I don’t care who you are, tipping 20% on $800 bottles of wine or $250 bottles of wine Is absurd

Old 04-11-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Someone who is "more of a 15% tipper" has never ordered a $250 bottle of wine. The entire discussion is an exercise to gain support or to justify the 15% tip.
Wrong again

The specifics of wine bottles ordered were discussed in the article I read

Old 04-11-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
I don't really view it as a conundrum. The norm is to tip on the cost of the total meal, so I've always just factored it into whatever I was ordering.

The guy making it is on a different pay scale, so that doesn't bother me.
The norm because why. Because someone said so? And why 20%? Because someone said so?

Sorry I’m not tipping on tax

Old 04-11-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainnj View Post
oh look at you, trying to say "oh im just talking about the scenario in the original post. That guy is cheap. You are changing the discussion."

well, no. The guy used the same 20% tip in the original scenario, how is he cheap. The original post asked this question:

"does the waiter in scenario 2 really deserve almost another 100, from one table, for walking to pick up two bottles of wine? What if the wine bottles were $800 each??"

so this discussion that i am taking part of is addressing that question.

Im the one who is being relevant, you arent. You just want to play mr self righteous and call other people cheap.
boom!! Pow!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance