Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:37 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,869,869 times

Advertisements

E-filed 2 weeks ago, mailed checks yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:44 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,700,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
How many wait until the last minute? I was surprised at how many in my small town do! Two things:

Even if you know you will owe, you can file any time; you don't have to pay until April 15th, and

Even if you file for an extension, if you don't pay by April 15th, they will penalize you.

I know, I thought the same thing: What good is the extension if you still have to pay by 4/15 ??
A few years ago, before I started preparing taxes for others, the IRS had a problem with a return I was filing. I ended up paying...and paying late...and never had any sort of penalty FOR paying late.

I simply made the effort to pay, and discussed with them an installment plan for my tax liability...and there were very responsive.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:14 AM

609 posts, read 2,119,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
it's time to protest the IRS. Next year, we should gather in Texas and not pay our taxes. We should cite a declaration as to why we refuse and hold out. If enough people got behind this movement, perhaps we could bring some actual change to this country. You can't get the attention of the bureaucrats until you cut off their money supply. What do you say guys?

Name the time and place.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:49 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,196,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
How many wait until the last minute? I was surprised at how many in my small town do! Two things:

Even if you know you will owe, you can file any time; you don't have to pay until April 15th, and

Even if you file for an extension, if you don't pay by April 15th, they will penalize you.

I know, I thought the same thing: What good is the extension if you still have to pay by 4/15 ??
I dont ever file my taxes by 4/15, and I have have never filed an extension. No, I'm not advising others to do the same, just making a comment..

Old 02-24-2011, 04:51 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,303,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
A few years ago, before I started preparing taxes for others, the IRS had a problem with a return I was filing. I ended up paying...and paying late...and never had any sort of penalty FOR paying late.

I simply made the effort to pay, and discussed with them an installment plan for my tax liability...and there were very responsive.

May I say, you were one of the lucky ones! Your situation is not the norm.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:52 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,303,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont ever file my taxes by 4/15, and I have have never filed an extension. No, I'm not advising others to do the same, just making a comment..
I was just stating the rules; sometimes, we can dodge those rules. Most of us are not so fortunate......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance