Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 11:40 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,251,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how many newsletters do you think it requires to make investing decisions?
Zero. Put it in a broad based us stock index etf and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 02:43 PM

107,493 posts, read 109,941,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Zero. Put it in a broad based us stock index etf and be done with it.
the newsletter has beaten a total market fund for more than 30 years now .

Old 08-14-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so after i posted that i saw that the market was up 500 points so i sold all of my spxu and immediately put all of my money into UPRO. im confident that this will be the one that works out for me!
well upro down almost 9% today .....

Old 08-14-2019, 02:55 PM

31,769 posts, read 40,910,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well upro down almost 9% today .....
yes, i had a very bad day today. but just before the end of the day i sold all of my upro and put everything i have into spxu. i am confident that tomorrow will be a great day for me!!

Old 08-14-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
the newsletter has beaten a total market fund for more than 30 years now .
And my individual stock holdings have far outpaced the fidelity newsletter.

But there are tax reasons and investment horizon reasons that make index ETFs more appropriate for my living expenses as a retiree. That “pile” of money is best kept there and only “touched” (ie, taxed) when I take my quarterly 8k or so.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:50 PM

6,657 posts, read 4,414,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
And my individual stock holdings have far outpaced the fidelity newsletter.

But there are tax reasons and investment horizon reasons that make index ETFs more appropriate for my living expenses as a retiree. That “pile” of money is best kept there and only “touched” (ie, taxed) when I take my quarterly 8k or so.
As I recall (when I subscribed to Hulberts), there were other newsletter portfolios that were ranked ahead of Fidelity Insight. Jack Bowers (owner of Fidelity Monitor) which, if I remember correctly, had a better track record than Eric's Kobern's Fidelity Insight. Bowers purchased Fidelity Insight several years ago and renamed it Fidelity Monitor and Insight. I think this move was a good one for Fidelity Insight subscribers. Not sure what return figures they're using now when comparing their portfolios to indices. With that said, it is a very good newsletter and has a good track record, I just think it's not a good idea to invest the bulk of your money according to the calls of one newsletter.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
As I recall (when I subscribed to Hulberts), there were other newsletter portfolios that were ranked ahead of Fidelity Insight. Jack Bowers (owner of Fidelity Monitor) which, if I remember correctly, had a better track record than Eric's Kobern's Fidelity Insight. Bowers purchased Fidelity Insight several years ago and renamed it Fidelity Monitor and Insight. I think this move was a good one for Fidelity Insight subscribers. Not sure what return figures they're using now when comparing their portfolios to indices. With that said, it is a very good newsletter and has a good track record, I just think it's not a good idea to invest the bulk of your money according to the calls of one newsletter.
Fidelity monitor was alway more aggressive than fidelity monitor prior to the merge .... since the merge the beta has been lowered closer to what fidelity insight was .... they had originally had two different objectives ..

Insight ran their growth model to try to match or beat the s&p with less beta ...fidelity monitor did not make that a goal so there models did have more volatility... now the growth model runs a tad over the s&p since the merge

Old 08-14-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I’ve always just tried to educate myself and then do my own thing. And I’m not interested in convincing anyone my way is the best way. For most people it isn’t. I have my assets separated into 5 pools - one for heirs (big capital gainers that could benefit from step-up rules and big losers that I liquidate for big one time expenses like the new Porsche), a charitable giving account that is invested aggressively because why not, a land holding (which has appreciated enough that I don’t know yet what to do with it), my paid off home, and the “pile” I live off (mostly index ETFs).

I don’t have any fixed income investments. Who needs them? If you take away the DAF, I’m about 60% equities and 40 % non-equities. That’s good enough for me given the benefit of controlling the tax man. You’d never see this approach in any newsletter, but it sure works for me.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,582,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Not planning to move money just yet, but I have started the research on where best to move our funds within our IRA's, 401(k), and 403(b) accounts.

I got burned by making some wrong moves in 2008 with these funds and do not wish to repeat that mistake!

Debt crisis is coming. Record levels of debt at all levels of government, corporate debt, and consumer debt. Add in a dash of $1.6 trillion in student loan debt as well. #1 investment right now is eliminating debt.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Fidelity monitor was alway more aggressive than fidelity monitor prior to the merge .... since the merge the beta has been lowered closer to what fidelity insight was .... they had originally had two different objectives ..

Insight ran their growth model to try to match or beat the s&p with less beta ...fidelity monitor did not make that a goal so there models did have more volatility... now the growth model runs a tad over the s&p since the merge
yesterday was nasty ...

i show the income model down .66% still up 8.50% ytd

growth and income model down 1.67% , up 11.36% ytd

growth model down 2.96% up 15.15%

sector model down 2.98% up 16.59% ytd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance