Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2019, 04:01 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,542,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^The post says 13 years.

All of which has nothing to do with the thread topic, but which athena53 was gracious enough to share, even though there was no obligation to do so.
I totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 01:15 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,196,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
My wife did mortgages for over 30 years before retiring last year. Qualifying for a mortgage doesn't mean you can afford it. And you can never tell from the outside looking in. She's seen people with all the trappings of success drowning in debt and blue collar people who look to be struggling killing it in their financial life.
My wife had a very loyal following because she always was honest with people and really did care they didn't get in over their heads. That's not always the case as most real estate and mortgage people are commission. They don't care what happens to you after the sale.
That being said, from her experience, most can afford the mortgage. It's the stuff they do after buying the house that gets them in trouble. Cars, boats, travel trailers, and other stuff usually does people in. And if they don't qualify? Mostly car payments and sadly, student loans followed by excessive credit card debt.
Regulations are very strict now so I do not understand how a large number of people cannot afford the mortgage they qualified for. If they couldn't afford it, why did they qualify for the mortgage. What I bolded above is the only reason people would have issues. Right? Unless I'm missing something here...

Old 10-12-2019, 03:42 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,324,384 times
Well, what proportion of mortgage holders are behind in their payments? Here it is around 1%, so the other 99% are managing to afford the home they are paying off, even if it is not easy.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:04 AM

34,151 posts, read 83,233,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Regulations are very strict now so I do not understand
how a large number of people cannot afford the mortgage they qualified for.
Those regs are about having a proven source of income, the ability to pay $X... not affordability.

Quote:
...Unless I'm missing something here...
Yeah. They're very different things.
One ties you in ... the other allows you to grow.
Have enough of your cash for everything else you want too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
...are managing to afford the home they are paying off...
Managing to make the payment is NOT what 'affording' is about.

Ever hear of being House Poor? https://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/housepoor.asp

Last edited by MrRational; 10-12-2019 at 04:12 AM..

Old 10-12-2019, 06:57 AM

240 posts, read 268,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Lucky how you were able to profit from his parent’s death. I’m sure when they passed they envisioned their life savings passing to his ex wife.
I feel the same way. This comment completely disregards the circumstances as to why she divorced. I understand as I have been divorced nearly 30 years now, having no other choice because of an abusive marriage.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:44 AM

51,094 posts, read 36,813,552 times
Quote:
Regulations are very strict now so I do not understand how a large number of people cannot afford the mortgage they qualified for. If they couldn't afford it, why did they qualify for the mortgage. What I bolded above is the only reason people would have issues. Right? Unless I'm missing something here...

There's an assumption there that everyone is buying new homes. People buy older homes and often put more money than they thought it needed into getting it C.O. ready. We knew we needed a new septic system when we bought our home, and we knew it needed to be above ground, however due to constraints of the property we ended up needing a new, advanced pump so it ended up being $24,000 instead of the $10,000 to $15,000 everyone thought it would be. We were able to pay it out of savings, but that extra $10,000 was originally supposed to be for a roof. IDK why anyone would assume that it must be trivial, luxury type purchases when people spend after buying a home. It seems much more likely that the spending is related to the home purchase than that they suddenly decided to celebrate their mortgage by buying jet skis.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 10-12-2019 at 08:27 AM..

Old 10-12-2019, 08:13 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,915,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There's an assumption there that everyone is buying new homes. People buy older homes and often put more money than they thought it needed into getting it C.O. ready. We knew we needed a new septic system when we bought our home, and we knew it needed to be above ground, however due to constraints of the property we ended up needing a new, advanced pump so it ended up being $24,000 instead of the $10,000 to $15,000 everyone thought it would be. We were able to pay it out of savings, but that extra $10,000 was originally supposed to be for a roof. IDK why anyone would assume that it must be trivial, luxury type purchases when people spend after buying a home. It seems much more likely that the spending is related to the home purchase than hat they suddenly decided to celebrate their mortgage by buying jet skis.
Most home improvement stuff here seems to be running 30%+ more expensive than it was 18 months ago. There was a small price increase because of federal policies (tariffs increased the cost of building supplies, immigration policy impacted the semi-skilled labor pool) followed by a big increase because we're Hurricane Michael-adjacent and the demand for people rebuilding things pushed up prices big time.

We spent months this year trying to find someone who would replace some iffy support beams on our back porch and re-screen it with a more durable material and we got turned down by many home improvement companies because it's a job that actually required a week's labor from two skilled carpenters since the porch roof and the house roof are one and the same and that kind of structural work is fussy and involves meeting modern windstorm code and such.

I know you're always supposed to get multiple bids and all but we just went with the first offer we got from a reputable home improvement company that seemed like a price we could live with and then moved on.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:40 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,109,211 times
Quote:
The loan originators are just following the underwriting requirements, so they’ll be able to easily sell the loan. They have no idea what most of the borrowers other expenses are... children expenses, commuting expense, etc. They honestly don’t care, and they don’t care if the borrower will be able to save for retirement. The originator makes more on a bigger loan.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:53 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,661,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There's an assumption there that everyone is buying new homes. People buy older homes and often put more money than they thought it needed into getting it C.O. ready. We knew we needed a new septic system when we bought our home, and we knew it needed to be above ground, however due to constraints of the property we ended up needing a new, advanced pump so it ended up being $24,000 instead of the $10,000 to $15,000 everyone thought it would be. We were able to pay it out of savings, but that extra $10,000 was originally supposed to be for a roof. IDK why anyone would assume that it must be trivial, luxury type purchases when people spend after buying a home. It seems much more likely that the spending is related to the home purchase than that they suddenly decided to celebrate their mortgage by buying jet skis.
I wish that buying new homes had much to do with "not spending money" when you take possession, but I'd argue that's not related much at all. If you buy a true "fixer upper," sure, then that's a different story, but if you buy a well maintained older home, it might even be cheaper than a new construction home. All new homes in Las Vegas, no exceptions, do not come with finished backyards. Builders don't do that, YOU do that as the buyer, so in a small, modest home, that might only be $5,000 to $10,000 of landscaping, or heck maybe a few thousand if you did it all yourself and bought what you needed. In a nicer home, it's going to run you $75K to $200K to finish the backyard from decking to pool / hot tub / fire pit, BBQ perhaps, shaded areas, landscaping, etc. It's very pricey, which is something a buyer of an older home doesn't have to deal with. Maybe they have to re-surface the pool in a few years for $10K but at least there IS a pool and landscaping already present.

An older home should already have a soft water system and an RO system, and maybe it needs a little maintenance but if it's working, it should be fine. A new home doesn't come with those systems, so there goes another $4K. These aren't even luxury purchases, it's not possible to live any quality of life with hard water in your pipes and your showers, clothes getting ruined, appliances ruined, you have to do it. HOA rules also require you to finish the backyard within a year of purchase, that's not optional either. You could go cheap, but going cheap in most areas is still going to be $20-30K, not exactly cheap.

Then beyond that, there are no window coverings, which I think everyone would agree is a requirement for a variety of reasons from keeping your home cooler in the desert heat to protecting paintings on the wall to, you know, sleeping successfully or watching TV before sun down. An existing, older home may have ugly window coverings, but it will at least HAVE window coverings. In my experience, a new home is incredibly expensive to get it from "new construction" to "livable dwelling." While a lot of what I've done personally is also luxury upgrades (smart home stuff, repaint the interior walls, epoxy garage, etc. etc.), there have been quite a few costs that were just part of buying a new home after you close.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:48 PM

5,908 posts, read 4,455,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I wish that buying new homes had much to do with "not spending money" when you take possession, but I'd argue that's not related much at all. If you buy a true "fixer upper," sure, then that's a different story, but if you buy a well maintained older home, it might even be cheaper than a new construction home. All new homes in Las Vegas, no exceptions, do not come with finished backyards. Builders don't do that, YOU do that as the buyer, so in a small, modest home, that might only be $5,000 to $10,000 of landscaping, or heck maybe a few thousand if you did it all yourself and bought what you needed. In a nicer home, it's going to run you $75K to $200K to finish the backyard from decking to pool / hot tub / fire pit, BBQ perhaps, shaded areas, landscaping, etc. It's very pricey, which is something a buyer of an older home doesn't have to deal with. Maybe they have to re-surface the pool in a few years for $10K but at least there IS a pool and landscaping already present.

An older home should already have a soft water system and an RO system, and maybe it needs a little maintenance but if it's working, it should be fine. A new home doesn't come with those systems, so there goes another $4K. These aren't even luxury purchases, it's not possible to live any quality of life with hard water in your pipes and your showers, clothes getting ruined, appliances ruined, you have to do it. HOA rules also require you to finish the backyard within a year of purchase, that's not optional either. You could go cheap, but going cheap in most areas is still going to be $20-30K, not exactly cheap.

Then beyond that, there are no window coverings, which I think everyone would agree is a requirement for a variety of reasons from keeping your home cooler in the desert heat to protecting paintings on the wall to, you know, sleeping successfully or watching TV before sun down. An existing, older home may have ugly window coverings, but it will at least HAVE window coverings. In my experience, a new home is incredibly expensive to get it from "new construction" to "livable dwelling." While a lot of what I've done personally is also luxury upgrades (smart home stuff, repaint the interior walls, epoxy garage, etc. etc.), there have been quite a few costs that were just part of buying a new home after you close.
That’s absolutely correct. We bought a new home build and it costs thousands to get it livable. Garage doors, kitchen handles, appliances, the yard (especially this) , window dressings, ect. When we considered selling when we were going to relocate, that was one of the things we tried to stress in the listing. Sure you can buy one of those other new builds, but this one is actually ready now. Time and money already invested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance