Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 07:36 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,504,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Love this man. Where is it from? I'd like to know more.
From me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 08:26 PM

30,905 posts, read 37,014,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
People talk about pension cash flow being the equivalent of what a million dollars can produce but that is very different then having a million dollars saved .....

At a 4% draw the million dollars saved can generate that cash flow and 30 years later have more left over 90% of the time, than you started with.

So you can have that pensionized income from that million dollars BUT you also can end with more than the million you started with left ....that equivalent pension dies with you or your spouse ....so there is still a big difference between cash flow generated via a portfolio vs an equivalent cash flow via a pension
Yes, I agree. Even though my pension is cost of living adjusted, in theory, I have a good chance of being able to increase my withdrawals faster than the rate of inflation inflation if I want to. However, that wasn't my primary reason for saving/investing.

My primary motivations for saving were:

1. I didn't know if I was going to be willing/able to work for a full 25-30 years to max out a pension.

2. I don't trust other people to take care of me. That turned out to be a good instinct because the pension benefits were reduced even for long time employees due to a 12% pay reduction several years back (Highest year's pay is a major function of the benefit formula. It took us 6 years to exceed the pay cut).

3. I wanted the flexibility to change jobs/locations if I wanted to without having to think "I have to work X number of years at this employer to get a decent retirement". Initially, I was hoping to be retired/financially independent by age 48, but I'm 49 now and couldn't comfortably retire in my high cost location if I quit tomorrow. However, I still have a level of financial security / flexibility that most people don't have. I'm semi-financially independent at age 49. Not awesome, but not bad.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:59 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
How many of your co-workers are putting aside extra like yourself? Or are most spending their paycheque and relying on their pension? If I was lucky enough for a gov't pension I wouldn't save and invest as much as I currently do that's for sure.
I'm a public sector worker, and will be getting a pension when I retire. I damn sure am socking away money - as much as I can. You never know what the future holds.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:03 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,239,289 times
Why aren't there more millionaires?

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12773.htm
Q: How much U.S. currency is in circulation?

A: There was approximately $1.70 trillion in circulation as of January 31, 2019. This figure includes Federal Reserve notes ($1,655.2 billion), U.S. notes ($0.2 billion), currency no longer issued ($0.2 billion), and coins outstanding ($47.2 billion).

U.S. Population = 329,217,343
Estimated $5,042.26 per capita in circulation

When the music stops, good luck in "cashing out."
Better still, a "dollar bill" has no par value and is not a "dollar" as defined by the Coinage Act of 1792.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:11 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,595,815 times
Thanks jetgraphics, I applaud your rant that has no doubt been waiting for a thread to be put in, regardless of whether it answers the question.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:02 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,425,062 times
An important book to read regarding this "millionaire" topic is,

The Millionaire next door.

A very insightful book.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:16 AM

106,845 posts, read 109,114,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Why aren't there more millionaires?

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12773.htm
Q: How much U.S. currency is in circulation?

A: There was approximately $1.70 trillion in circulation as of January 31, 2019. This figure includes Federal Reserve notes ($1,655.2 billion), U.S. notes ($0.2 billion), currency no longer issued ($0.2 billion), and coins outstanding ($47.2 billion).

U.S. Population = 329,217,343
Estimated $5,042.26 per capita in circulation

When the music stops, good luck in "cashing out."
Better still, a "dollar bill" has no par value and is not a "dollar" as defined by the Coinage Act of 1792.
I think this better fits in the economic forum with the rest of those who see only doom and gloom and the sky is always falling

Old 10-15-2019, 10:19 AM

13,669 posts, read 9,744,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It took me 50 years of life to hit a million ...but only 12 years to multiply it many times over ....the deals get bigger and you are privy to deals you would never have access to as you network
Your situation is unusual. More normally, whether one has $1M, $2M, $4M, $8M, $16M or whatever, there won’t be any magic doors opening. Having more money means cheaper stock-trades and a “personal advisor” at one’s brokerage. One gains access to funds that are “closed” to normal investors. But no special phone will ring, apprising one of some fantastic deal. There won’t be free tickets to the opera or a private viewing at the art-gallery or a black-tie dinner with some political candidate (well, unless you pay $5000/plate out of pocket).

A person gets hassled by the NYPD, frisked by the TSA, stared in vitriol by the bus-driver, blocked-in by the garbage truck, and otherwise importuned and disrespected by society, whether one is worth 8 figures in US dollars, or a thin wad of Venezuelan Bolvars. Money doesn’t buy access, special treatment or respect.

Thus my "fairy godmother" anecdotes about said fairy dropping $80M onto your pillow. Before that drop, I'd be a benighted dumb hick in a threadbare shack. After the drop, I'd be a benighted dumb hick in a threadbare shack with an $80M account at Fidelity... who suddenly can't sleep anymore, because he's mortified over how to properly shepherd and grow that $80M.

And worse yet, if your net worth is two old Buicks and an heirloom armoire, you can grow your net worth appreciably by accepting more overtime or replacing tonight's chicken-dinner with rice and beans. But post-fairy, not even a vice-presidency at Golman Sachs would make much of a difference.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:40 AM

18,157 posts, read 15,743,695 times
Quote:
But no special phone will ring, apprising one of some fantastic deal.
I very much remember a couple colleagues who made major money when the company went public ($35+ million) getting entree to early investment opps from some venture cap guys in Menlo Park. This was around 1998 and the venture money was flowing bigtime and they were part of some early rounds. I think they did angel investing after vesting into all their shares, selling, and retiring.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:55 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,668,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
A baited question with no real purpose, IMO.
Ya think???

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance