Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 09:55 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,918,338 times

Advertisements

Starvation or suicide should come before ever even thinking about touching your retirement. It is an absolute NO_NO..! There will never be a season good enough to take money out of that account, NEVER to be considered for ANY reason, PERIOD... YOu can NEVER make that money up again, and you will be kicking yourself when you retire.
I was in my forties before I was able to get into a 401k, because years ago there were no such accounts, and when they first appeared, only management were able to get in. Finally it was opened up to all employees.

I always maxed out my account and when I reached a certain age, you can double the max for five years. I suffered and sacrificed for the five years and doubled the max. Now retired I can see all of my sacrifice was well worth it.

DO NOT TOUCH YOU RETIREMENT ACCOUNT FOR ANY REASON...!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 10:45 AM

18,177 posts, read 15,749,883 times
Misinformation abounds.

If you are working and have a 401K plan that has an "after-tax" bucket in there and you are already maxing out your pre-tax, then doing in-service conversions from after-tax 401K to 401K roth is a great strategy to take advantage of if your 401K plan allows it. (IMO) This is a ninja roth investment move, one not to miss.

In addition, in early retirement, especially if and when taxable income is well-constrained, doing conversions from IRA to Roth, staying within the low tax bracket rate, is smart. You could easily be in a tax bracket of 12% or less *if* you play your cards right, and if you are in a low tax bracket, then converting to roth each year that you can, is a no-brainer. I consider this another ninja roth move to take advantage of if you can.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:47 AM

17,641 posts, read 15,332,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Starvation or suicide should come before ever even thinking about touching your retirement. It is an absolute NO_NO..! There will never be a season good enough to take money out of that account, NEVER to be considered for ANY reason, PERIOD... YOu can NEVER make that money up again, and you will be kicking yourself when you retire.
I was in my forties before I was able to get into a 401k, because years ago there were no such accounts, and when they first appeared, only management were able to get in. Finally it was opened up to all employees.

I always maxed out my account and when I reached a certain age, you can double the max for five years. I suffered and sacrificed for the five years and doubled the max. Now retired I can see all of my sacrifice was well worth it.

DO NOT TOUCH YOU RETIREMENT ACCOUNT FOR ANY REASON...!!!!!

Well, if they give you a year to live..

Old 12-11-2019, 11:00 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,791,210 times
Single and 32% tax bracket is my fear. In fact, I ran multiple scenarios and if I’m not careful, I could be paying twice the amount then I’m paying now. Individual situation is different. Not just RMDs, SS at 70, but a lot of my income will be taxable. Know your specific situation when you do Roth conversions.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:14 AM

109 posts, read 208,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Misinformation abounds.

If you are working and have a 401K plan that has an "after-tax" bucket in there and you are already maxing out your pre-tax, then doing in-service conversions from after-tax 401K to 401K roth is a great strategy to take advantage of if your 401K plan allows it. (IMO) This is a ninja roth investment move, one not to miss.

In addition, in early retirement, especially if and when taxable income is well-constrained, doing conversions from IRA to Roth, staying within the low tax bracket rate, is smart. You could easily be in a tax bracket of 12% or less *if* you play your cards right, and if you are in a low tax bracket, then converting to roth each year that you can, is a no-brainer. I consider this another ninja roth move to take advantage of if you can.
Ah the mega backdoor roth. whats crazy is how much you can do (like 30 grand or so). Add that, on top of 19 grand or so in the regular 401k, plus a few more company match...

Old 12-12-2019, 12:54 AM

30,906 posts, read 37,017,674 times
I've left it alone.

This is why it's crucial to have a good amount of cash saved before you put all your savings in a retirement account.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:18 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,128,181 times
This is why I only contribute up to the match on my 401k because you cant touch it until you are extremely old without massive penalty. Most of my money is in an individual investment account as I feel lay offs are far more of a risk than retirement.

I am part of the FI movement and save almost 70% of my income so that I can convert it from growth to income at any time and live off it without having to work an undesirable job to meet basic bills.

I have a friend that dumped tons of money into retirement accounts and is now facing a potential lay off, he cant touch that money without penalty. I am sure he has a substantial enough in there that he is not going to be facing down homelessness to avoid working a soul sucking mcjob that robs you of your dignity and sanity but it still kind of sucks.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:39 AM

106,883 posts, read 109,133,761 times
bad planning is bad planning .. not having a good emergency fund is poor planning .

on the other hand the price of admission to a roth is the same as to a taxable brokerage account . the roth is never taxed and the taxable account is forever taxed so not utilizing tax advantaged accounts to the max is also poor panning

Old 12-12-2019, 07:02 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,641,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Misinformation abounds.

I’m getting ready. February is my big month to stuff as much as I can in my after tax bucket and immediately roll it to my Roth as well as completing my backdoor Roth as well. Looks like I will only be able to get 28k into the after tax bucket

Old 12-12-2019, 09:46 AM

18,177 posts, read 15,749,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstate09 View Post
Ah the mega backdoor roth. whats crazy is how much you can do (like 30 grand or so). Add that, on top of 19 grand or so in the regular 401k, plus a few more company match...
Yes indeed!

In addition, some people erroneously think that doing IRA to Roth conversions in early retirement is a bad or useless move. They envision high tax brackets without doing any investigation. These are folks who don't understand the concept of *constraining taxable income* and aggressively doing so.

Obviously it's not something everyone can do, but by planning ahead it is possible to have enough runway and after-tax monies to live on to allow the retiree in those crucial early years to be in a low tax bracket, stay in a low tax bracket, and do some conversions to roth while being in a low tax bracket. If this can be achieved while staying in a 12% or less fed tax rate, then IMO it would be stupid not to take advantage of the conversion opportunity.

These early retirement conversions from IRA to Roth would not be 'mega' backdoor roth conversions since the primary goal is to always stay within the defined low tax bracket and that would limit the amount to be converted each year, but some conversions are better than no conversions.

Again, I'm not suggesting this is something every early retiree can do, but it is possible for many folks to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance