Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:13 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,159,223 times

Advertisements

I agree that American Express has the best image as far as their cards go. Their customer service seems to be decent too, once they sent me a card that didn't work and they overnighted me a new one. Same thing happened with another company and it took 1 week to get the new card.

You can safely ignore all the anti-credit card blah blah. American Express has some very nice rewards cards and so long as you don't run a balance you benefit more by using the card than using cash. Not to mention you can more easily track your spending on their website etc.

Quote:
If you aren't it is a mistake and you should just stay away.
A general claim like this cannot be made. I can think of many examples where using the
card to make purchases you can't pay off right away could save you money (or make you money in the case of business). For example, if you are on a budget you can use it buy bulk food items that are on sale. If you are saving 20% purchasing the items this way and say pay it off over 3 months (say at 12%) then you still gain ~17%. Of course there is also taking advantage of 0% offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance