Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 04:36 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times

Advertisements

Good Luck!! Please keep us updated on the good and the bad weeks. I'm going to be having a similar no spending year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 08:12 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,947,781 times
Give yourself a chance to succeed. Set achievable goals, especially early on. Pay off the lowest balance credit card first.....and then celebrate your Big Win. Repeat as necessary. Live your Life, you're not in Debtor's Prison.

Good Luck with your journey.

Last edited by FiveLoaves; 12-31-2019 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-31-2019, 08:22 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Sounds good.
If you do not try buying with coupons.
Try the buy one get one free. For others try this and give the free one to a food pantry etc.
Buy the items on sale and stock up for the future. For example buy a three month supply of toilet paper when it is on sale.
As you mentioned you only buy what you need.
You could also put your credit cards in blocks of ice and use only the cash you have on your when you shop. Spending with cash and not cc will help cut down impulse buying.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:48 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Good plan. BTW, you have plenty of company. Half the US population spends more than they make.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:56 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
The OP isn’t a budget so you should actually write one out. I’d considered including some “indulgence” spending if you can afford to give yourself some small reward while staying on track

Old 12-31-2019, 08:57 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
You have to have a plan in place if you want to see the kind of changes you're looking for.

Good luck in 2020.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:25 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
If it took you a long time to get into the debt, it will likely take a long time to get out of it. It's going to require a lot of lifestyle changes, and you should also be looking at trying to increase your income. One thing I've learneed over the years is that it's very difficult to "cut" your way out of things.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:45 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
SO I am throwing this out there.
I have managed the past couple of years to spend more than I made, not follow a budget, buy junk, trips, foods, that were not necessities. Now I owe a lot in Credit card debt. I won't say how much. I will say a lot. If I gave the number, some of you on this forum would faint, throw up, someone might have a stroke and blame it on me.....

SO......the budget for 2020

Meal planning every weekend. it takes an hour or so to do, but I can use the hour I would have spent watching sports programs or dirty shows to do that instead.

NO visits to the following websites, period: Ali Express, Wish, Lids, Fansedge, NFL Shop, Wayfair, Alibaba.

Groceries at Aldis, Publix and Wally World (which I hate) Using only the online purchase. All stores have a set up whereby I can order the foods I want, have them brought to the car, then taken home. This prevents the activity of myself or my kids saying "OOOooo BROWNIES " and bringing home extra impulse items that seem to prey on a lack of impulse control that I did not realize that I had. This also saves time as I can order and pick up the groceries at my convenience with less time.

As for income, well, no worries there. I have added my services to another practice so I am pretty much guaranteed 6 days of week working if I want to. So money coming in will be about 25 to 40 % higher this year than last year. That being said, spending needs to drop to a bare frugal minimum for the year.

All money from the 3rd job goes to paying off the debts. All of it . It has been placed into a seperate account to be used only for such.

Lets hope this is enough, and I welcome any tips or suggestions . when we were in college, we lived very frugally We had to. My former college roommate is a multimillionaire today because he never stopped, while I am not. Oh Well.
Sounds like a good plan! I would add a few tips:
  • See if you can transfer your CC balance to a 0 interest credit card. There may be a transfer fee; use an online debt calculator to see if it's worth it.
  • Set up automatic payments to avoid late fees and interest.
  • NO recreational shopping--period. Find an inexpensive hobby instead.
  • Take a few days to de-clutter your house.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2020, 09:00 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Like weight loss getting out of debt is simple but requires a lot of sacrifice to do. To lose weight simply eat less calories than you spend. To get out of debt spend less money than you make.

As other's said changing your lifestyle may be in order, making a detailed budget and having the discipline to enforce it, and raising your income if possible can all help.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:38 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Thanks Everyone You guys and ladies are awesome
First update is coming Sunday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance