Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 09:40 AM

572 posts, read 332,752 times

Advertisements

The premium rate is really high. Look for another plan. I dont think it is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 09:42 AM

13,163 posts, read 7,678,791 times
^ thanks.
But you need to pull up specialized actuarial tables for someone with cardio-vascular and prostate problems.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:59 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,152,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
That’s already gone. If you don’t renew, you don’t get those premium back either.
Everyone knows it's gone

Old 02-03-2020, 01:42 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,851,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Everyone knows it's gone
Right, so you can’t count on what you already paid. You can only look at the premium going forward.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:57 PM

9,991 posts, read 7,910,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
My dad currently has a 20 year term life insurance policy that he got at 56. I believe the monthly premium is a little under $200 a month.

Yesterday my dad said he thinks at 76 he can keep the policy but the yearly premium jumps to $10,000a year.

Does this sound right? Would it be another 20 year term?

Even if he lives to 90 that would only be spending 140k for a half million dollar policy amount.

What am i missing?
Pull out his policy and read it. Call the agent and find out. Is it guaranteed renewable term? If so, he can get it no matter his health. The face value may start declining at this renewal. It's hard for us to guess all the scenarios.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Right, so you can’t count on what you already paid. You can only look at the premium going forward.
You're way off...

My question was if people here thought it would be another 20 year term at 10,000 per year, the chances of dad passing away would be very high and his heirs would get a half million

Old 02-03-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Pull out his policy and read it. Call the agent and find out. Is it guaranteed renewable term? If so, he can get it no matter his health. The face value may start declining at this renewal. It's hard for us to guess all the scenarios.
Good point. However I don't want to pry too much

Old 02-03-2020, 11:25 PM

13,163 posts, read 7,678,791 times
Agree with KaraG.
You should know enough to be assured that your father knows what to do.
Term insurance allows for a lot of planning.
Ex, father in near the end of the current term. Should dad renew?
Depends. Definitely if he has bad health. Which is the obvious answer. But what is not obvious is that he has the "option" (or that you may have the option) that was afforded by the contact, which he has continually paid every year.
In contrast is someone who doesn't have LI. The choice is very clear in that health care will be less, inheritances eliminated, etc.

Disclaimer.
We do not have LI. We do have LTCi. We have death benefits on our annuities and some survivor income. Health is declining, treated cancers and me many other issues. 70/73. Our son knows the basics and where the location of the documents.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Agree with KaraG.
You should know enough to be assured that your father knows what to do.
Term insurance allows for a lot of planning.
Ex, father in near the end of the current term. Should dad renew?
Depends. Definitely if he has bad health. Which is the obvious answer. But what is not obvious is that he has the "option" (or that you may have the option) that was afforded by the contact, which he has continually paid every year.
In contrast is someone who doesn't have LI. The choice is very clear in that health care will be less, inheritances eliminated, etc.

Disclaimer.
We do not have LI. We do have LTCi. We have death benefits on our annuities and some survivor income. Health is declining, treated cancers and me many other issues. 70/73. Our son knows the basics and where the location of the documents.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:23 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,268,771 times
For my perspective, he DOES NOT need to renew. He should absolutely not spend $10,000 a year to leave his heirs money. His heirs should have money by now. You need life insurance when youre leaving behind dependents who require care or support. Your father would be wasting his money just to leave you and your family money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance