Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 03:40 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,300,293 times

Advertisements

I just heard a crazy claim which clearly made no sense... but i can't find any IRS text on it one way or the other.... probably cause its just a crazy claim.

So the claim is that if your gross income is less than 50k in retirement, you pay no property taxes. State: VA

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 03:54 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,784,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I just heard a crazy claim which clearly made no sense... but i can't find any IRS text on it one way or the other.... probably cause its just a crazy claim.

So the claim is that if your gross income is less than 50k in retirement, you pay no property taxes. State: VA

Anyone?
Why are you looking to the IRS, what you describe is a state or local issue. Take it to the VA forum.

Old 02-29-2020, 04:12 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Well, first of all, paying for property (or real estate) taxes are not an IRS issue.(other than a possible Schedule A deduction).

In VA, " Personal property taxes and real estate taxes are local taxes, which means they're administered by cities, counties, and towns in Virginia."
https://www.tax.virginia.gov/propert...-tax-questions

So maybe one town or another has enacted some tax relief for seniors, but probably not state-wide.

Old 02-29-2020, 04:12 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
We have capped taxable values for seniors in my area but it has nothing to do with federal income taxes

Old 03-01-2020, 07:54 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,052,018 times
Property taxes are always a local issue, the only interaction with the IRS is if someone is deducting part (or in the good old days, all) of it under the SALT deduction.

That said, I cannot imagine any state completely exempting under-$50K homeowners from property taxes. Because property taxes fund the public schools, that would negatively impact the schools way too much.

Let's put it this way: In my state, the best "deal" that any homeowner can get is a maximum of 45% off their property taxes BUT they not only have to be over 65 years old, their total gross income (including Social Security benefits) must be less than $29K. Colloquially this is called the "low-income senior" property tax reduction. And even then, there are certain taxing entities that do not offer a reduction under any circumstances (such as the public library and the local fire district, both of which levy property taxes here.)

Old 03-01-2020, 09:56 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,134,874 times
Quote:

Anyone?
It wouldn't be on the IRS site since the property taxes are assessed by the county. It's true though. My uncle and Aunt don't pay any property taxes on their paid off home in Woodbridge. They don't have much assets, mostly relying on social security.

https://disabilitynavigator.org/prog...sabled-program

Old 03-01-2020, 12:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
It wouldn't be on the IRS site since the property taxes are assessed by the county. It's true though. My uncle and Aunt don't pay any property taxes on their paid off home in Woodbridge. They don't have much assets, mostly relying on social security.

https://disabilitynavigator.org/prog...sabled-program
We have a similar program here in Washington state, but to qualify one but be a senior and low income, then the missed taxes become a lien, and are repaid when the home is eventually sold. “There is no free lunch.”

Old 03-01-2020, 02:29 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,655,496 times
Quote:

Anyone?
This has nothing to do with the IRS, so why would you look to the IRS for an answer?

Old 03-01-2020, 04:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,940,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
...... Colloquially this is called the "low-income senior" property tax reduction. And even then, there are certain taxing entities that do not offer a reduction under any circumstances (such as the public library and the local fire district, both of which levy property taxes here.)
Since the Fire Dept operates EMS in our community (and likely yours too), and the Public Library runs LOTS of special programs only for Seniors in our community (and likely yours too), I can understand the reluctance of these two entities to offer tax reductions for what may be their highest served population sub-set.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:16 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:

Anyone?
http://vlas.org/wp-content/uploads/2...d-Disabled.pdf
Most counties and independent cities in Virginia offer some form of property tax relief to seniors who own a home in their jurisdiction. Eligibility requirements vary by area, but, in general, seniors must be at least 65 years old and have a household income of less than $72,000. In many counties, low-income earners are entirely exempted from property taxes.
https://smartasset.com/retirement/vi...tirement-taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance