Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 07:50 AM

492 posts, read 236,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah I'm not sure what's wrong with you, perhaps you should take a break from posting. He was simply asking for responses void of controversy and confrontation. This is exactly the type of post he requested not be made to gum up the thread.

As for us we are not working so no income, we are also listening to the experts and staying the Hell home. So this $2,400 will be enough to buy groceries for months, we find if you stay at home and off Amazon you don't spend money on anything but consumables. And since we are pretty well stocked up (it will only be more dangerous to go shopping in a few weeks) we are OK for now.
Dave, you need to read the items several times. I am sure being a special needs adult is difficult. Truth is Frank has a right to say what he chooses just like you do. We have to put up with you. Do you really think your posts are superior to Franks? I think not.

The Op has ridiculous stipulations. You should really seek a medication change Dave. It will help you get along with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 07:51 AM

6,790 posts, read 5,519,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Sorry guys, and sorry OP.

Lots of Frank bashing going on here. At the same time, my "rep notifications" are blowing up.

Seems lots of people agree with my position that people should be able to craft their own responses.
Now you are into Bragging. Still not helpful.
If you don't like the thread, please LEAVE.

If you have nothing POSITIVE to post, then please don't, there are several million people who are out of work through no fault of their own.
Including me and my OH s second job.

Many of those jobs are with small businesses that, even with a stimulus loan, may NOT survive, therefore their jobs won't be back.

Many of the restaurants you are used to dining out at may not come back. Celebrity chef Bobby Flat was on the morning news, Skyped from his home. He said his closed restaurants are fine for now, but when he runs out of his money to support them, will have to make hard DECISIONS to close them permanently. He HAS money, but his restaurant s still might not survive.

LOCKDOWN is NO fun. I could use a hair cut, but cannot even get one in my state... anywhere.

49% of people across this country are paycheck to paycheck, and as their jobs evaporate, are lost, scared to death, and needs to have some more of some semblance of security for FOOD and SHELTER.
Many are in the $15& under ranks. Sure it may not be exactly minimum wage, and $15/hr is higher than our minimum, but day care, for example is $800-1000+/m depends on provider and how many kids/ how many hours are needed.
LPNs in my area only make $15-18/hr, for an essential ( and now front lines) job. My best friends wife is one, IN a hospital at $18/hr.
Many other First Responders are in same boat.
If they don't die on the job, they'll certainly be glad to have a job.

Anyone, who is "essential, can work from home, does work from home", even if hours are cut, is at this point, VERY LUCKY to have ANY income.

We could NOT rent for what our mortgage is, and it's not exactly a high COLA. Renting what we have would cost us more than 40% more. I feel very sorry for them, because this area is largely a service based industry.

Frank, your job, no matter what is is/was, unless it deals with food, I may NEVER in my life ever need goods or services from you or your company.

BUT: YOU WILL NEED FOOD! EVERYONE NEEDS FOOD. and yet, ALL good stuff employees, whether you go into the grocery market, the farmers market, or order online from Amazon.com tohave "safely delivered" to you, or a restaurant you frequently go to, all all across the country in about every area of the country are...paid $15/hr or less.

FOOD comes even before shelter. Those living in tent cities STILL NEED FOOD. Those living in Mansions still NEED.... FOOD.

Yet, it is the lowest paid industry on Earth.

That is totally upside down. Food workers of all types, including farmers, NEED to be paid well, as if human life depended on it... because IT DOES.
We humans cannot survive without it.

FOOD even comes before medical care. You WILL die ( eventually) of starvation.

Those good service employees are also mostly part time, as full time jobs are reserved for management and corporate CEOs and the like.

With lockdowns, they are out of work, and scared.

Even those who HAVE managed to SAVE in those missing jobs, probably do not have the reserves you do. A 3-6 mos efund on the 3 MOS end WILL be used up quickly if you have NO INCOME coming in to pay the routine bills at this time. They are scared.

Even those with no efund, who thought they'd use CC s, will only seve to put them deep, or deeper in debt to survive.

We are going through our meager retirement now to supplement the evaporated 2 jobs we had now is Missing. Efund was used up last year due to drastic employment hours cuts.
My OH s one job is at a grocery store. FOOD. but hours have been cut.
I am most concerned about these things in this order:
1) food. Fortunately I've been stockpiling for a while, so not desperate, but will lack fresh veggies, milk and bread, which has pretty much been wiped out in the grocery stores. Consistently.
2) shelter. Don't want to lose our 40% less than rent home.
3) gas and vehicle maintenance, as we need at least one on the road for my OH to get to work for whatever grocery store hours available. Mine can go off the road, fir now. Both were paid for in cash, so no payments to save on, but just gas/Insurance/maintenance.

We are fortunate because when things were good I saved, so that in just 4 years we own half the house, even though we only put 10% down by paying extra principle always from first payment on.
I saved to buy a brand new '14 for cash in '14.
I saved so we could by my minivan, just off lease, for cash last December...had to replace a 06 that no longer had any safety equipment working,cand all dash lights on, and ridiculously expensive to fix, IF they change our the computers. It was necessary to replace it. Ended the saved vehicle fund.

We still have some in retirement, we ARE better off than many of our friends, in the hotel ( closed, out of jobs), and restaurant business ( also closed). Many weren't given an notice,the Governor just ordered shutdown s, closed and out of a job in the snap of the finger s.

If you, Frank, are in a great position and don't have to worry, great for you.

But if farmers cannot afford seed and fertilizer, if ranchers can't afford to feed cattle, chicken s or pigs, there will NO FOOD, or limited food produced.

If NO good is produced, all your money and your mansion will NOT MATTER if you are starving to death. You can't eat money, gold bars or houses.

Continued best to all of the 49% who live paycheck to paycheck and are now out of a job!

Old 03-26-2020, 08:06 AM

962 posts, read 616,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Now you are into Bragging. Still not helpful.
If you don't like the thread, please LEAVE.

If you have nothing POSITIVE to post, then please don't, there are several million people who are out of work through no fault of their own.
Including me and my OH s second job.

Many of those jobs are with small businesses that, even with a stimulus loan, may NOT survive, therefore their jobs won't be back.

Many of the restaurants you are used to dining out at may not come back. Celebrity chef Bobby Flat was on the morning news, Skyped from his home. He said his closed restaurants are fine for now, but when he runs out of his money to support them, will have to make hard DECISIONS to close them permanently. He HAS money, but his restaurant s still might not survive.

LOCKDOWN is NO fun. I could use a hair cut, but cannot even get one in my state... anywhere.

49% of people across this country are paycheck to paycheck, and as their jobs evaporate, are lost, scared to death, and needs to have some more of some semblance of security for FOOD and SHELTER.
Many are in the $15& under ranks. Sure it may not be exactly minimum wage, and $15/hr is higher than our minimum, but day care, for example is $800-1000+/m depends on provider and how many kids/ how many hours are needed.
LPNs in my area only make $15-18/hr, for an essential ( and now front lines) job. My best friends wife is one, IN a hospital at $18/hr.
Many other First Responders are in same boat.
If they don't die on the job, they'll certainly be glad to have a job.

Anyone, who is "essential, can work from home, does work from home", even if hours are cut, is at this point, VERY LUCKY to have ANY income.

We could NOT rent for what our mortgage is, and it's not exactly a high COLA. Renting what we have would cost us more than 40% more. I feel very sorry for them, because this area is largely a service based industry.

Frank, your job, no matter what is is/was, unless it deals with food, I may NEVER in my life ever need goods or services from you or your company.

BUT: YOU WILL NEED FOOD! EVERYONE NEEDS FOOD. and yet, ALL good stuff employees, whether you go into the grocery market, the farmers market, or order online from Amazon.com tohave "safely delivered" to you, or a restaurant you frequently go to, all all across the country in about every area of the country are...paid $15/hr or less.

FOOD comes even before shelter. Those living in tent cities STILL NEED FOOD. Those living in Mansions still NEED.... FOOD.

Yet, it is the lowest paid industry on Earth.

That is totally upside down. Food workers of all types, including farmers, NEED to be paid well, as if human life depended on it... because IT DOES.
We humans cannot survive without it.

FOOD even comes before medical care. You WILL die ( eventually) of starvation.

Those good service employees are also mostly part time, as full time jobs are reserved for management and corporate CEOs and the like.

With lockdowns, they are out of work, and scared.

Even those who HAVE managed to SAVE in those missing jobs, probably do not have the reserves you do. A 3-6 mos efund on the 3 MOS end WILL be used up quickly if you have NO INCOME coming in to pay the routine bills at this time. They are scared.

Even those with no efund, who thought they'd use CC s, will only seve to put them deep, or deeper in debt to survive.

We are going through our meager retirement now to supplement the evaporated 2 jobs we had now is Missing. Efund was used up last year due to drastic employment hours cuts.
My OH s one job is at a grocery store. FOOD. but hours have been cut.
I am most concerned about these things in this order:
1) food. Fortunately I've been stockpiling for a while, so not desperate, but will lack fresh veggies, milk and bread, which has pretty much been wiped out in the grocery stores. Consistently.
2) shelter. Don't want to lose our 40% less than rent home.
3) gas and vehicle maintenance, as we need at least one on the road for my OH to get to work for whatever grocery store hours available. Mine can go off the road, fir now. Both were paid for in cash, so no payments to save on, but just gas/Insurance/maintenance.

We are fortunate because when things were good I saved, so that in just 4 years we own half the house, even though we only put 10% down by paying extra principle always from first payment on.
I saved to buy a brand new '14 for cash in '14.
I saved so we could by my minivan, just off lease, for cash last December...had to replace a 06 that no longer had any safety equipment working,cand all dash lights on, and ridiculously expensive to fix, IF they change our the computers. It was necessary to replace it. Ended the saved vehicle fund.

We still have some in retirement, we ARE better off than many of our friends, in the hotel ( closed, out of jobs), and restaurant business ( also closed). Many weren't given an notice,the Governor just ordered shutdown s, closed and out of a job in the snap of the finger s.

If you, Frank, are in a great position and don't have to worry, great for you.

But if farmers cannot afford seed and fertilizer, if ranchers can't afford to feed cattle, chicken s or pigs, there will NO FOOD, or limited food produced.

If NO good is produced, all your money and your mansion will NOT MATTER if you are starving to death. You can't eat money, gold bars or houses.

Continued best to all of the 49% who live paycheck to paycheck and are now out of a job!

Now, THAT is a great post!

Again, sincerely sorry for my initial post, but that's how I feel. And I'm totally cool with people disagreeing with me too- I consider all opinions, and some can change mine.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:28 AM

1,579 posts, read 959,784 times
I am still unclear if I get a check or not and how much. I think I do, but I am not assuming anything. I make $80k a year, but AGI is more like $67k. So I think I get a check. I am also a single mom (divorced) but I let my ex claim our daughter as a dependent on his taxes (it's what we agreed to when we mediated the divorce). I get head of household status. But for the most part, our daughter lives with me, not him, and I am considered the parent of residence (we have joint custody) and my daughter is a resident of my state (he moved away).

I hope to get a check. I am nervous about my job. The place I work for is bleeding out money due to pandemic. I am in charge of training meetings and all my meetings have been cancelled though May. We lost a lot of money. And we weren't doing too well before all this. The past year, revenues were down 20%. The reason is we cater to a profession that's mainly made up of Baby Boomers and they are retiring and not using our services. The profession is slowly being automated.

I have about 8 months expenses saved in a money market account (my goal was 12 months). So I should be okay for a while if I lose my job. I will be able to support myself and my daughter. But any little bit will help. If I get a check, I will probably put it in that account in case I need it/in case I am laid off or otherwise lose my income.

But I also had a good friend just lose his job due to all this (he works in the travel industry). I offered to help him any way I could. If he asks me for money I may just give him part of my check as a gift. Although I don't know, he might not need it. My friends and I don't talk finances, he may be like me with a nice nest egg set aside and might not need it. But I already determined if he needs help, it will be a gift, not a loan. After all, to me it seems like any check from the government would be like a gift.

In the end, if I don't need it at all, all this clears up, my friend finds another job and never asks me for money, I will spend it on taking a vacation with my daughter. We will need it after all this stress and it would help the economy/those in the travel industry.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:13 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,833,133 times
We are donating it to our single mom neighbor.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:18 AM

736 posts, read 458,155 times
save it to party when this pandemic is over.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:44 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,735,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Thus question is ONLY for those who qualify to get it, NOT FOR THOSE WHO WON'T ( and b*t#h they won't get one, so "unfair")
So if you WON'T GET ONE PLEASE REFRAIN FROM COMMENTING ON THIS THREAD.

SO, YOU are eligible and the check is in your hands. What will you do with it?

We will split it at least 2 if not 3 ways.

1) we will restore an efund that had to be used up last year due to cut backs in income.

2) we still have some debt left to pay on the house Renovations we did 3,4 and 5 years ago. Might be able to eliminate some totally, a relief.

3) shop for new DIY projects for the house, THAT will help stimulate the economy!!

Probably 1) $1000; 2) $1000; 3) $400.

Or it may go ALL into efund.

So if you qualify, what will you do with yours?

Let's keep *politics*, *public shaming*, *bullying*, *and other stabs at someone's choices* OUT OF THIS THREAD.

there are other threads you can b*t#h in.
Let's keep this thread "nice"!

Let's discuss...

Is this a way of bragging on yourself that you get free money for doing nothing?

Old 03-26-2020, 09:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,718 posts, read 81,625,646 times
As long as my wife and I are still working and getting paid, we don't have any immediate need for it, so it will just add it into one of our credit union savings accounts. We have continued to stimulate the economy by buying things as usual so far. Tomorrow we're planning to order a nice takeout dinner from our favorite Mexican restaurant. Apparently it's order and pay online, text when you get there and they run it our to the car.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:55 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,022,922 times
We'll let it sit in our checking account until we see how things shake out long(er) term. My job is fine, but the income will likely be reduced. My husband's job is currently fine, but subject to change. We need less question marks before making a final decision.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:59 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,726,221 times
3400 straight into a fdic insured savings account and continued austerity/safety cutbacks:

- no outside food we haven't grown or washed/cooked ourselves.
- essential purchases only
- freeze/cancel all memberships/classes
- minimize out of-the-house travel

Will reassess at the end of May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance