Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 07:40 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,289,110 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that a lot of stores and pharmacies in my area won't accept cash right now. For all of those Dave Ramsey followers who eschew credit cards, what are they doing during the this time? The envelope system maybe doesn't work quite as well during a pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 08:11 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,207,044 times
Think for yourselves, maybe?

(Naaaahhhh...)

Old 05-22-2020, 08:16 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,682,219 times
A debit card.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:35 PM

300 posts, read 149,275 times
First of all, never tie any purchase to your bank account. I learned this the hard way when I used it to buy gas. within hours there were hundreds of $$$ of purchases across the country on that same debit card. I was reimbursed by my bank, but it took at least a couple of weeks.

What I did was take Tom Sullivan's advice to self-fund a low balance card specifically for online and store purchases. I put a $400 limit on it. Then I pay it off the next day from the checking account. It makes me feel less vulnerable to know the most scammers will get will be $400 or less.

I'm a fan of Dave Ramsey, I wish he would stop encouraging people to use debit cards only. It's way too risky in today's world.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:42 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,625,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneThornberg View Post
First of all, never tie any purchase to your bank account. I learned this the hard way when I used it to buy gas. within hours there were hundreds of $$$ of purchases across the country on that same debit card. I was reimbursed by my bank, but it took at least a couple of weeks.

What I did was take Tom Sullivan's advice to self-fund a low balance card specifically for online and store purchases. I put a $400 limit on it. Then I pay it off the next day from the checking account. It makes me feel less vulnerable to know the most scammers will get will be $400 or less.

I'm a fan of Dave Ramsey, I wish he would stop encouraging people to use debit cards only. It's way too risky in today's world.
If you have any credit history worth anything there’s no reason to go with a secured credit card

Old 05-23-2020, 12:03 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,405,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I've noticed that a lot of stores and pharmacies in my area won't accept cash right now. For all of those Dave Ramsey followers who eschew credit cards, what are they doing during the this time? The envelope system maybe doesn't work quite as well during a pandemic.
they would use debit card.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:21 AM

106,807 posts, read 109,039,935 times
normal people use credit cards and not follow this ridiculous ramsey logic as it applies to financial losers

Old 05-23-2020, 01:40 AM

10,614 posts, read 12,149,758 times
I was expecting a different question....

ONE of my issues with Ramsey is that he also advises people that once they have just $1,000 as an emergency fund, start throwing EVERYTHING, meaning ALL extra money at your debt.

While I know way too many people don't even have 1K saved, I've always thought that only 1K was waaaay to little to have as an EF.

So my question would be: "For all of those Dave Ramsey followers who only had 1K saved who have now been out of work for two months or more -- what are they doing now?

It's almost worth giving him a listen just to hear what he's saying now. "Dave you told me I only needed to have a-thousand dollars in an EF, and only deal in cash or debit card, to stop contributing to my retirement accounts, to not even have even one low limit credit card..... AND that I could always work two jobs. Now what do I do? Answer: well you could still deliver pizzas. And some companies ARE still hiring.

(Food delivery gigs are always a "go to" suggestion for him.)

Old 05-23-2020, 01:44 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Instead of mocking Dave Ramsey, I think people should ponder the implications of getting rid of cash, where every transaction can be traced. This isn't being done to benefit the average person and is a perfect example of how a crisis is used to track, monitor, and control the populace even more than was already occurring.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:44 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,134,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneThornberg View Post

Lies.

Go look at both MasterCard and Visas websites.
They both offer the EXACT SAME protection to both their debit and credit cards.

I have debit card info stolen about 1x every 2 years, I just switch to a different account and only 1x has it taken longer than 24 hours to get my money back.

...but then I haven't even gone to town in over 3 months. I live on <1/2 my pension and I'm one of those crazy prepper/homesteader people and I've been throughly enjoying working in my garden, orchard, and offgrid homestead.

I hadn't listened to DR in probably 20 years till a couple days ago he popped up on my youtube. Listened to a couple and heard one applicable to another comment:

"I meet lots of millionaires and I've never met one who told me it was from credit card points"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance