Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 08:37 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That isn't the question I asked.

Why are the rentals not carrying mortgages?
Is this part of a strategy you've discussed with your CPA?
He/she is so far playing it safe, a strategy which seems to be popular only after economic crashes, and then people quickly forget that things don't always go as you expect them to. And the cycle continues.

The problem with leverage is that it only works well if a few people are doing it, or if the ratios are moderate (meaning, not highly leveraged), but when everybody does it and goes crazy, the economy becomes unstable.

In essence, a tragedy of the commons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 08:53 AM

67 posts, read 37,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
He/she is so far playing it safe, a strategy which seems to be popular only after economic crashes, and then people quickly forget that things don't always go as you expect them to. And the cycle continues.

The problem with leverage is that it only works well if a few people are doing it, or if the ratios are moderate (meaning, not highly leveraged), but when everybody does it and goes crazy, the economy becomes unstable.

In essence, a tragedy of the commons.
Yes, I’ve played it very safe. I do like the simplicity of not owing anyone anything aside from property taxes. I feel like I’m safe enough to cover a $3500 payment on $7200 gross rent considering it will cover my taxes/insurance/primary residence/vehicle (hopefully last 10+ years).

Essentially, I take on more risk but I buy into a solidly middle class lifestyle as far as location, house, schools and car I drive.

Worth the risk?

Old 06-01-2020, 12:00 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Is my arithmetic bad? As an interest-only loan, that's about 8.4% That's a VERY expensive loan. Inflation is hovering close to zero and might actually be negative. Paying 8.4% is unconscionable.

But maybe I made a mistake in my arithmetic.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:08 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
We don't have as good a CPA advising us.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:54 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatichouse View Post
Yes, I’ve played it very safe. I do like the simplicity of not owing anyone anything aside from property taxes. I feel like I’m safe enough to cover a $3500 payment on $7200 gross rent considering it will cover my taxes/insurance/primary residence/vehicle (hopefully last 10+ years).

Essentially, I take on more risk but I buy into a solidly middle class lifestyle as far as location, house, schools and car I drive.

Worth the risk?
Depends. How long have you owned these properties? You have to add up all the hidden costs, and those costs might be a lot more than you think.

What is your NET income, after expenses, on those properties? Check your tax returns if you need to.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Is my arithmetic bad? As an interest-only loan, that's about 8.4% That's a VERY expensive loan. Inflation is hovering close to zero and might actually be negative. Paying 8.4% is unconscionable.

Loan is at about 4.5%. Payment includes taxes and insurance on all properties aside from primary.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Depends. How long have you owned these properties? You have to add up all the hidden costs, and those costs might be a lot more than you think.

What is your NET income, after expenses, on those properties? Check your tax returns if you need to.
Bought all between 2010 or so and 2017 or so. I probably average $250-300/month for repairs. Out of all properties I’ve had maybe 6 months where one property was vacant.

Market value for my rents is probably closer to $7500-$7600 but I don’t raise rent often.

$7200 gross rent
-$300 repairs
-$3500 loan payment

= $3400/month to live on

Seems very doable considering I currently live on $1500/month. I’d probably throw $1000/month at an ETF and use the remaining $1000 for whatever I want.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:47 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatichouse View Post
The $3500 payment includes taxes/insurance for everything except my primary. So basically the only “expense” I’m looking at is maintenance/repairs/vacancy.

Income tax isn’t bad considering all my money is generated through rental income.

Essentially I would have 8 homes and a ~$500k mortgage.
I'm a bit confused by your posts so I cannot answer your question without more information. In your original post you said your monthly expenses was $1,500 and above you are saying its $3500 except for your primary residence. So what is your total monthly expense of your all your properties (tax, insurance, HOA etc.)? Or are you saying that AFTER the $500K loan, your total expenses for the mortgage, taxes, insurance etc. will be $3500 for ALL your properties combined? Also, have you calculated the cost of potential repairs, vacancies and maintenance on all the properties you already own? Also, what is the total value of all your properties (without accounting the new house you will purchase)?

It would be much easier to answer your question if you gave us the NET income from all your rentals instead of the gross and then gave us the amount of your personal expenses you need to cover. If you could address the concerns I listed above I would be happy to give you my opinion on you getting the $500K loan.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:48 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,762 times
I believe in taking risks and extending one's self, however I always had a good job to back me up in case of an unforeseen situation. I own several rentals and love to see the checks come in every month. There have been occasions when a renter unexpectedly gives notice and one or more checks don't come in for a month or two. While that rental is vacant, there are costs, sometimes HUGE costs, to prepare it for another renter. Today due to the pandemic some renters aren't required to make payments for, who knows how long.
This past winter a furnace went out in a rental, in the coldest part of winter. $2000 unexpected dollars later, the renter was warn and I was 2k poorer. Last month was replacing a central A/C unit to the tune of $3500. You have to be prepared for any and all unexpected events. A nice employment income every month can sooth over those rough spots.

At 35 years of age, why aren't you working? When I was in my 20's, 30's, 40's etc, I was acquiring properties but also working two or more jobs, often for seven days a week, to make sure I could handle any emergency that might arise.
All the risk, hard work and stress pays off eventually, several of my properties have more than doubled in value, and the renters paid for them.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Grumpy ol' Man; 06-02-2020 at 09:28 AM..

Old 06-02-2020, 04:54 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Would a 15 year mortgage be cheaper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance