Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tax issues: payment plan, returns kept, tax attorney, initial consultation, rebate check, seek counsel

Old 04-29-2008, 06:38 AM

25 posts, read 86,915 times

Advertisements

My husband had some tax issues and we have gotten a tax att. to take care of it for him. They have set up a payment plan to repay what is owed and that was suppose to be the end of it. When I hired this tax place they told us that we qualified for all kinds of things that would help and reduce his tax debt. They even said that once we came to an agreement with the IRS that we could choose to keep any returns or use them to pay it off quicker (that part was a little hard to believe). Anyway, when I finally got with our actual att. of course we didn't qualify for any of the "programs" and just set us up on a payment plan. He told me what our monthly payment would be and for how long but the amount didn't take into account for our rather large return for this year. I had assumed that it would be taken off the amount that we owed. Instead we got a check yesterday for the full amount of our return??? The last conversation I had with the att. he informed me that he had done his job and I would be hearing from the IRS and that he was basically done. I have tried to contact him to see what to do about this check, but no response from him. The problem is that we signed an agreement to have no contact with the IRS while dealing with the Att. and he won't tell me what I need to do with this check. Does anybody know if we can use this money since our payments are based on the prior amount without this money taken into account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 07:02 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,440,671 times
As I understand it (from your post):
1. You signed contract to have tax attorney represent you
2. Tax attorney did his job
3. Tax attorney said he's done and you're no longer his client

If the above is true, it appears to me that you're no longer restricted by that contract. Of course, I can't see the contract to see how it is worded so that is pure speculation on my part. I do find it odd that the attorney won't return your calls though. Did you have any troubles while he was representing you?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:21 AM

25 posts, read 86,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
As I understand it (from your post):
1. You signed contract to have tax attorney represent you
2. Tax attorney did his job
3. Tax attorney said he's done and you're no longer his client

If the above is true, it appears to me that you're no longer restricted by that contract. Of course, I can't see the contract to see how it is worded so that is pure speculation on my part. I do find it odd that the attorney won't return your calls though. Did you have any troubles while he was representing you?

The problem we had was that everything I was told in the initial consultation was not what the attorney said or did. Based on what we owed and our income I was told that we qualified for an offer and comp. and what our payments would be and for how long. After I paid the $3200 everything changed, we no longer qualified so now we are out the whole amount owed and the att. fee. I know that we owe the money, my problem is that we chose this comp. to represent us because of the information at the initial consultation. To answer your question, the att. didn't seem to know what was going on, he asked me to do some things that didn't seem to make any sense at all and then changed his mind a week later. The end result is that our monthly payments are double what I was told they would be and for several years longer.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:17 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,440,671 times
I'm sorry for your troubles. To be honest, I don't know that I have a good solution for you. Looks like your options are to A) keep trying to contact the attorney, B) contact the IRS about your rebate check, C) seek counsel from another attorney. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,508,500 times
Call the IRS and ask for a "transcript" for all balance due accounts. Make sure you ask for personal (SSN) and business (EIN) accounts so you get them all. Ask when they are to be received and write down the date. If you get them by that date fine. Look them over. They will tell you what you owe as of a particular date. This is the starting point. You can call and talk about the accounts.

If you don't receive them by the promised date, call back and ask for the TAxpayer ADvocate Service. Tell the assistor that you requested transcripts and did not get them by the date promised. They should write up your case and send to the Advocate.

Once there, you can have them get the transcripts and ask them questions on the status of your account. If it is a business, make sure whoever calls has an officer of the business or owner with them to give approval for any disclosure. If personal, either husband or wife, if a joint return, can call. They should be able to explain the status in English and simple language.

At this point you will know what the system says you owe, what the current status is, and can discuss options. I am sorry you got caught up in the bad players out there who prey on people like you who need help. Kind of like the bad consumer credit repair companies.

You need to know exactly where you stand before you go ahead and make any other assumptions. If you receive any refunds, this is a clue that maybe there is a problem. Maybe the refund is off a personal account and you owe business??? I can make a lot of assumptions but I would personally send back any refunds I am not due and ask that the check (write void on the back) be redeposited and applied to the balance due. It will save you interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance