Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 04:33 PM

17,690 posts, read 15,405,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'd suggest an approach that's less of a lie: "If I declare BK to get out from under this, there's a chance you'll get less than what I'm willing to pay right now". You're not saying you WILL, but at least you're not making up a terminal illness.

Lesson learned, I hope. Don't carry a balance on your credit cards.

I was so ticked last year.. I paid off my Home Depot credit card after having made a purchase, but I didn't pay enough attention on the site when making the payment.. The default was pay the 'Minimum Due", which was $25.00.. The balance was $25.79 or something.

So, I wound up paying $1.50 in interest I think it was (minimum charge).. First time I've paid interest on a credit card in at least 6 or 7 years.

yeah, I know, I'm breaking some people's hearts around here with my whole $1.50 tale of woe.. But it did **** me right off!

It took me a while to 'get it'.. But once I got it through my head that CC limits weren't my money.. My life became much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 05:44 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,284,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It took me a while to 'get it'.. But once I got it through my head that CC limits weren't my money.. My life became much easier.
I agree. I watched my Ex sink into cc debt by paying the minimum every month and then maxing it out again as soon as he could (and the banks were very generous with credit limit increases). Unused credit limit was money available to spend. When you do the math on the amount of interest you pay in a year on an $8,000 or $10,000 balance, that's a lot of money that could be put to better use.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:43 PM

23,473 posts, read 19,135,648 times
Quote:
I agree. I watched my Ex sink into cc debt by paying the minimum every month and then maxing it out again as soon as he could (and the banks were very generous with credit limit increases). Unused credit limit was money available to spend.
So true. Years ago I remember listening in disbelief when my youngest sister tried to tell me how much $ she had available to spend because of her credit card's nice fat credit limit. It took a lot to convince her otherwise. Yes, she did end up in trouble because of it, but luckily learned the lesson. It was an eye opener into the assumptions many people make about money.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:43 PM

17,690 posts, read 15,405,282 times
Quote:
I agree. I watched my Ex sink into cc debt by paying the minimum every month and then maxing it out again as soon as he could (and the banks were very generous with credit limit increases). Unused credit limit was money available to spend. When you do the math on the amount of interest you pay in a year on an $8,000 or $10,000 balance, that's a lot of money that could be put to better use.

I got lucky.. I learned my lesson in my early 20's.. Actually when I was in college.. This would have been early 90's. I got a credit card with a $1000 limit. (Hey, for a college student at the time.. it was alot)

It got almost instantly maxed out. I got it paid off and cancelled it, which that part, wish I hadn't done.. Wish I had just shredded the card and left the account open..

I didn't get another card for about 10 years. Once I got to the point where I felt I could be responsible with it. I wanted something with a piddly little $1000 limit again.. Bank laughed at me. Said the smallest was $5k
So, I got that. And then, as my credit has now hit the 830 range.. They kept doing increases and I had to ask them to stop. If I wanted an increase, I'd ask for it. it's only $14k limit, but.. I'm comfortable with my maturity that I won't go insane and get anywhere even close to that.

The last time I carried a balance on it was 5 years or more ago. And that was only a thousand bucks or so and only for 1 month.

I was mad that I had to pay interest on the new truck I bought. Got a decent rate on it.. 2.9% I think, but when I bought new vehicles in 97 and 05 I got the 0% interest deals.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:15 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,231,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahopotato View Post
"Stick em up." Just kidding.
Lololol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance