Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 01:04 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,559,118 times

Advertisements

I have some money in a mutual fund at Vanguard. This money is not in a Roth or IRA (complicated story as to why that is). I'm thinking about moving some of it to a balanced fund. I imagine doing this would result in paying some taxes, but I can't figure out how much. Are there calculators somewhere on-line I can use? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 01:09 PM

106,876 posts, read 109,133,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I have some money in a mutual fund at Vanguard. This money is not in a Roth or IRA (complicated story as to why that is). I'm thinking about moving some of it to a balanced fund. I imagine doing this would result in paying some taxes, but I can't figure out how much. Are there calculators somewhere on-line I can use? Thanks

It depends
You need to calculate your gain first ....then you need to see what tax bracket your in and whether the gains are long term or short term .

In effect you really need to do your taxes to really tell .

A typical long term gain rate unless pretty high can be zero to 15% ...short term is taxed at whatever all your income comes to

Old 12-12-2020, 04:01 PM

2,615 posts, read 2,305,907 times
Don’t bother moving it to a balanced fund. Bonds are paying next to nothing.

Old 12-12-2020, 04:04 PM

Bonds are about appreciation not yield ...if a recession causes rates to fall farther your bonds gains in value and adds to the funds share price.

Heck i made over 10% this year on bonds that paid about 1.25%

Old 12-12-2020, 04:23 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,559,479 times
Make sure you consider state taxes as well.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:15 PM

6,057 posts, read 3,780,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Bonds are about appreciation not yield ...if a recession causes rates to fall farther your bonds gains in value and adds to the funds share price.

Heck i made over 10% this year on bonds that paid about 1.25%
That's true only as long as the price of bonds is going up and the yield is going down which is what has been happening for the past year. If/when the interest rates start going up and the resulting price starts going down, the bonds will fall in value like a rock. This is because a small change in the interest rate (yield) makes a MUCH larger percentage change when interest rates are low (as they are today) than when interest rates are high.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
That's true only as long as the price of bonds is going up and the yield is going down which is what has been happening for the past year. If/when the interest rates start going up and the resulting price starts going down, the bonds will fall in value like a rock. This is because a small change in the interest rate (yield) makes a MUCH larger percentage change when interest rates are low (as they are today) than when interest rates are high.
Nothing has any guaranteed performance..but rates can stay low or even head to zero on bonds for years ..no one knows.

A good recession could see the 10 year close to zero or below and the 30 year could fall quite a bit.

Even the bond gurus like gundlach and bill gross miscalled the direction of rates

Old 12-12-2020, 05:31 PM

6,057 posts, read 3,780,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Nothing has any guaranteed performance..but rates can stay low or even head to zero on bonds for years ..no one knows.

A good recession could see the 10 year close to zero or below and the 30 year could fall quite a bit.

Even the bond gurus like gundlach and bill gross miscalled the direction of rates
Sure, that COULD happen, but I think it's just as likely to go the other way. Besides, bond rates are already darn close to zero right now. If the rates go much lower, they will be negative rates. In other words, you'll actually pay to own the bonds. Why would anyone want to do that when they could just put their money in a bank at very low rates but yet it would be insured by the FDIC.

No one insures your bond investments. If rates should go up a couple of percentage points, the value of your bonds will drop like a rock and there's no one protecting you against loss as they would be if your money were in an FDIC account.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Sure, that COULD happen, but I think it's just as likely to go the other way. Besides, bond rates are already darn close to zero right now. If the rates go much lower, they will be negative rates. In other words, you'll actually pay to own the bonds. Why would anyone want to do that when they could just put their money in a bank at very low rates but yet it would be insured by the FDIC.

No one insures your bond investments. If rates should go up a couple of percentage points, the value of your bonds will drop like a rock and there's no one protecting you against loss as they would be if your money were in an FDIC account.
Take a fund like Tlt , if it fell 1% you are looking at an 18% gain ..I would gladly pay 1% to get 18% so even at these levels these funds are owned .

I wracked up about 32k in gains trading Tlt this year .most of it when the yield was about 1.1/4% to 1.50%

But they are not owned alone ,they are used in a portfolio with assets that yin and yang offsetting rises in rates if it happens

As far as why would bonds still be bought ?

Countries can’t take their billions and put it in a bank ...foreign countries who want safe havens for their own money flock to the safest bonds in the safest countries ....they don’t mind a small fee plus they may make it up in currency swaps ...

Individuals do it because they hope the rates go even more negative netting them decent gains or they want fighter cover for their equities if they think markets are headed down .

For my core portfolios I own bonds but only shorter term stuff and high yield ..but I certainly trade funds like Tlt for gains

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-12-2020 at 05:50 PM..

Old 12-12-2020, 05:39 PM

6,631 posts, read 7,364,568 times
The Federal Capital Gains tax could be 0%, 10% 15% or 20% depending on a few factors. What is the gain. What is your taxable income before the gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance