Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 08:19 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
While some degrees are obviously worth more than others, I would not consider any degree to be worthless. The Bachelor's degree has become the minimum educational standard in today's world. I remember a secretary who was given a stack of applications for a job that stated "degree preferred". She was told to separate out the applicants with a degree, as these were the only applications that were even going to be looked at. This happened decades ago.
I agree but that's crazy. Companies are requiring degrees for jobs that don't pay enough to justify the cost of a degree. The best Admin I ever had was a woman who'd gone to Katharine Gibbs, probably a 2-year course.

DS once suggested that it should be illegal to require a college degree with the possible exception of some fields such as Law or Medicine. Many of the characteristics that make good employees- solid work ethic, willingness to learn, people skills, etc.- aren't taught in college. Many other things you learn in college become obsolete. I wouldn't have gotten far if I'd relied only on the Fortran I learned in college (graduated 1975) as my qualification for computer modeling.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:03 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I agree but that's crazy. Companies are requiring degrees for jobs that don't pay enough to justify the cost of a degree. The best Admin I ever had was a woman who'd gone to Katharine Gibbs, probably a 2-year course.

DS once suggested that it should be illegal to require a college degree with the possible exception of some fields such as Law or Medicine. Many of the characteristics that make good employees- solid work ethic, willingness to learn, people skills, etc.- aren't taught in college. Many other things you learn in college become obsolete. I wouldn't have gotten far if I'd relied only on the Fortran I learned in college (graduated 1975) as my qualification for computer modeling.
I took Fortran about 1981, after graduating in 1979. Punch cards, and a 90 minute wait for the program to run. I think this was before structured programming design, too.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:10 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times
The degrees act as a filter ...employers like employees to have degrees because it shows you have the ability to learn and the ability to stay committed ...that is about what most degrees get you

Most degrees are not about a skill set from the degree

Old 01-16-2021, 11:06 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

Do you realize how many Administrative Assistants make 6 figures? When you a real executive, that's a tough job and extremely demanding. You need someone smart, organized and educated.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:00 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Do you realize how many Administrative Assistants make 6 figures? When you're a real executive, that's a tough job and extremely demanding. You need someone smart, organized and educated.
You mean that in my job 3 years out of college I wasn't a real executive? (Actually she was my boss' Admin but I got to borrow her.)

I totally agree with you on the compensation for Admins to C-suite types, but I'd say that what they really need is good computer skills and a ton of experience built up over the years in the School of Hard Knocks.

But then, Admins at lower levels are rarely hired anymore. We write our own correspondence, set up our own meetings, make our own travel arrangements. It saves money.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:23 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The degrees act as a filter ...employers like employees to have degrees because it shows you have the ability to learn and the ability to stay committed ...that is about what most degrees get you

Most degrees are not about a skill set from the degree
Yes, as administering aptitude tests can get you in trouble when the results can be construed to be biased toward a particular minority group. It's safer to just require a college degree.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:24 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
A "roads" scholar, eh?
I stand corrected. There is such as thing as a "road scholar".

https://www.roadscholar.org/

Old 01-17-2021, 11:43 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I stand corrected. There is such as thing as a "road scholar".

https://www.roadscholar.org/

Aka the rebranding of the former Elderhostel program to make it seem hipper and a little more upmarket. I've crossed paths with their tours in US National Parks a number of times and they always seemed to be having a blast. My parents were looking into doing a Canada train trip with them right before the pandemic hit. (They're the demographic that keeps general US net worth high and I keep telling them to spend it on something fun before the nursing home gets it)

Old 01-17-2021, 07:42 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Because many people are trapped in low wage jobs and cannot save enough to purchase a house. Only 65% of Americans own their homes.

Because we have an insane health care system, and people can in incur tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical debt.

Because public funding of higher education has been gutted over the past 20 years, and people take out massive debt in the form of student loans.
Can you please explain this?
I'm not doubting you....i just want to understand how this is possible for anyone who has insurance. (I could understand it for those who don't of course)

Old 01-17-2021, 07:56 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
It depends what you do with it and what you mean by old days. My BA from 1989 (Poli Sci) and amother non-STEM MS in 1991 taught me how to think critically, how to analyze information and then synthesize it into a cohesive idea. THAT skillset, not a deep knowledge of political history or English literature, has allowed me to excel in several different career paths throughout my life, and I earn triple the average US salary. That is what a liberal arts undergrad education should be doing for you. Giving you skills, not specific knowledge. It's up to the individual to make use of them and promote himself. Nobody cares that Johnny knows a little psychology or a little literature. Corporate America cares that you can THINK. Liberal Arts degrees should be teaching you to think.

Did you take any statistics classes?? Did you take any economics classes?? Did you take any biology, chemistry, math or physics classes?? Did you take ANY STEM classes??

IF you didn't what do you THINK about?? Critically? How do you know to evaluate the information that you are critically thinking about??

I have no doubt you are smooth talker, smart, and a great salesman. Skills that are worthy.

But critical thinking....give me a break. American's are NOT critical thinkers these days. Anybody with a skill set that requires critical thinking has a foreign name.

The really sad part, as a immigrant, is that liberal arts students do not have even a basic understanding of American history, the constitution, let alone critical thinking skills.

My joke is....I was allowed to immigrate to the US so I could explain their system of government to Americans. My STEM background was just a bonus.

The problem with America today....is all the American's that think they have "critical" thinking skills, without a STEM background. It isn't the Middle Ages anymore...to be literate today means you need a science background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance