Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 11:32 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,982,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I was not asking you.Please see the post that I quoted.
Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 12:12 PM

3,267 posts, read 2,159,627 times
Ridiculousness. I got accepted 2/12. Was then sent a letter that i needed to mail a form on 3/18. Tried to call 4 times. Only human I got said I'm sorry we are backed up and I can't even tell you if we have the form.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:36 AM

4,177 posts, read 3,101,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
First you say you are still waiting for her refund, then you say you have received her refund. Which is it? I’m interested because my parents final joint return (they both passed last year) was filed in early April and we have yet to see anything on the refund or payment (federal / state). Refund and payment were both ACH and so far, zip has shown up in the account. Maybe final returns just take longer.
I had not received the refund as of May 16. I received it on May 17, and deposited the check on May 18.

I did not request automatic deposit for this final return because I read on the web that some banks might not accept an automatic deposit after death of the account holder. The Ohio check was made out to mom, while the federal check was made out to me. After mom died in 2020, I quickly updated the account to the estate EIN. The federal check was deposited into the trust account without a problem.

I had filed Form 1310, Statement of Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer, when I filed the 2020 return. I also included a letter of explanation for both the personal & estate tax forms. This required letter stated that I was claiming medical expenses after death on the personal return, and that the estate waived the right to these deductions. I also explained that I had not declared expected Medicare refunds for coverage after death as a deduction.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:28 PM

37,742 posts, read 46,199,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I had not received the refund as of May 16. I received it on May 17, and deposited the check on May 18.

I did not request automatic deposit for this final return because I read on the web that some banks might not accept an automatic deposit after death of the account holder. The Ohio check was made out to mom, while the federal check was made out to me. After mom died in 2020, I quickly updated the account to the estate EIN. The federal check was deposited into the trust account without a problem.

I had filed Form 1310, Statement of Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer, when I filed the 2020 return. I also included a letter of explanation for both the personal & estate tax forms. This required letter stated that I was claiming medical expenses after death on the personal return, and that the estate waived the right to these deductions. I also explained that I had not declared expected Medicare refunds for coverage after death as a deduction.
Thanks for clarifying - your previous statement was very confusing.

As to the account - we just used a joint account - my sister and I have been joint on their accounts for many years. The account issued the ACH payment for state taxes today, hopefully the federal won't be far behind.

We did not have an estate EIN - no estate, no probate. I had a tax preparer (a professional, but a friend of the family) prepare the return.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:39 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,982,713 times
Just noticed I got my IRS refund May 12, 2 months and 10 days after I filed the Paper return. I also got about $5 interest for the 10 days beyond 2 months.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:30 PM

15,137 posts, read 32,411,477 times
I had to file on paper this year, and mailed it on April 25. CA is processing my return, but the IRS website says that they haven't received it yet. I'll check on it about once a week, but I'm not going to worry about it, it'll get to me eventually.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:20 PM

23,478 posts, read 19,159,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I had to file on paper this year, and mailed it on April 25. CA is processing my return, but the IRS website says that they haven't received it yet. I'll check on it about once a week, but I'm not going to worry about it, it'll get to me eventually.
What do you mean by "they haven't received it yet"? Did you send your return using some sort of return receipt mail so you know the paper return actually arrived at the IRS office? USPS shouldn't take a month to deliver to a USA address. Hope you kept copies! Or, did you mean the IRS is saying they haven't processed it yet? A lot more reasonable.

Old 05-29-2021, 05:02 AM

15,450 posts, read 25,894,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What do you mean by "they haven't received it yet"? Did you send your return using some sort of return receipt mail so you know the paper return actually arrived at the IRS office? USPS shouldn't take a month to deliver to a USA address. Hope you kept copies! Or, did you mean the IRS is saying they haven't processed it yet? A lot more reasonable.
I don’t think he or she would know the answer to that without calling and talking to someone at the IRS. The website does not have the info about which one.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:54 AM

1,612 posts, read 880,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

I was forced to file on paper this year, mailed it certified with a return card which I never received. I owed, so there was a check in the packet, and it took them 5 weeks to deposit it into the US Treasury. I figure it will be October or November before the issue that forced me to file on paper is resolved. Glad I wasn't waiting on a refund.

Still waiting on my refund from my state taxes, but they did reach out and ask for more information off my Federal return a couple weeks ago so at least they're working on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance