Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 06:52 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,373,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Its nearly impossible unless you are still living at home, or living with roommate/spouse/significant other. I cant imagine how SINGLE people survive period. Of course, I say this as someone born, raised and still living in Los Angeles where the CHEAPEST one bedroom currently on the market in my area (per zillow) goes for $1700 per month.
I was born in California. I went to college there and I have owned a home there. I think I do understand your perspective on life in California.

However for the last 20 years I have been doing okay living on my Navy pension. It started at $15,000 a year and has slowly inched up to around $19,000 a year now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 07:09 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,127,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Its nearly impossible unless you are still living at home, or living with roommate/spouse/significant other. I cant imagine how SINGLE people survive period. Of course, I say this as someone born, raised and still living in Los Angeles where the CHEAPEST one bedroom currently on the market in my area (per zillow) goes for $1700 per month.

Im guessing it'll be much much easier in places like Mississippi, Alabama or Arkansas to live on that amount compared to here, but still, it has to be difficult. Even if you live in a paid off home inherited from your parents, it'll still be difficult when you consider the true cost of living. You really need two incomes to make it work. Heck, I make six figures and couldnt imagine making things work on my own without the spouse who also make close to six figures.

You almost have to have some type of "side hustle" to make it work. Heck, most people I know have some type of side hustle. THREE times this past few months my Doordash driver showed up to deliver my food in a Tesla Model X. THREE TIMES!!! He said "Hey, if there is money to be earned, why not?".
It comes down to income and expenses. Doordash driver wants to drive a tesla so is forced to do a side hustle to fund their lifestyle. I drive a paid off Honda and live comfortably in a single income household. With a $309 PI mortgage, and no other debt it's easy to do. We're in the DC Metro area so not exactly cheap, but we've setup our lifestyle so we're no longer running on a treadmill and never getting ahead in life.

Old 02-27-2022, 06:40 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Not bragging or putting anyone down. I am just wondering how anyone can survive now a days on that? Back in 2012-2014 I was making around 30-40k a year, but things seemed a lot cheaper. I was renting a apartment for 900 a month and eventually a house for 1200.

I make a lot more now and look back and just wonder how people now a days get by on that. I would find it almost impossible to do so with the current inflation. Sure, I guess if your single and have no kids it could work.

But by the time you add insurance, gas, housing, etc... you cant have anything left. I really feel like the next generation is really screwed on the American dream of home ownership. Some cities you will be needing a minimum of 150k a year to buy a house.

I thought it was bad being a millenial and going through 08 (i was jobless at the time and couldn't find any work), but now a days ....

I cant imagine how hard it will be for kids entering the labor force in this decade... inflation and a upcoming recession is really going to make it hard for them to get on their feet.
If you are referring to household income, I totally agree. However, if using per capita with a working couple, I could see them making it. I do not know how single people (living on their own, no roommates) could make it.

I make 45K and my rent will probably be going up to 2K this summer (Florida). I am currently looking to move out of state because I can't make it here.

Yes, there is always the commute, but even the smaller towns here are not that cheap.

So in a nutshell, I agree with you (assuming the person still has rent or a mortgage).

Old 02-27-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Simple. Don’t buy a house . That’s how to live on 40k.

( okay, yes, it is more nuanced, but that is the TL;DR version, lol)
I am not sure I follow....in most areas, it would be more expensive to rent.

Years ago you would rent to save money for a house. Now, people want to buy a house to get out of high rents.

Old 02-27-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
I didn't read any replies but my husband and I live on $19,320 a year and it is right now slightly higher than it was since we got cola added to it.

We do not get food stamps but did recently apply for heat energy assistance. We live in Ohio, our house is paid off.
Well, yeah, anyone could live on 40K with no rent or mortgage.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:27 AM

16,346 posts, read 8,162,213 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post

Years ago you would rent to save money for a house. Now, people want to buy a house to get out of high rents.
I think it’s been that way for a while now. As a kid I was told one of the reasons you want to buy a house isn’t because when you rent you are paying someone else’s mortgage. Might as well pay your own mortgage I guess.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:40 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Not bragging or putting anyone down. I am just wondering how anyone can survive now a days on that? Back in 2012-2014 I was making around 30-40k a year, but things seemed a lot cheaper. I was renting a apartment for 900 a month and eventually a house for 1200.

I make a lot more now and look back and just wonder how people now a days get by on that. I would find it almost impossible to do so with the current inflation. Sure, I guess if your single and have no kids it could work.

But by the time you add insurance, gas, housing, etc... you cant have anything left. I really feel like the next generation is really screwed on the American dream of home ownership. Some cities you will be needing a minimum of 150k a year to buy a house.

I thought it was bad being a millenial and going through 08 (i was jobless at the time and couldn't find any work), but now a days ....

I cant imagine how hard it will be for kids entering the labor force in this decade... inflation and a upcoming recession is really going to make it hard for them to get on their feet.

I make $30,000 after 9 years in a government job. And since the inflation started, you are correct, I don't have anything left and am struggling to meet my mortgage and vet bills.

Two years ago I was saving a few hundred a month. Now I've had to use much of that savings just to make ends meet after a few car repair bills and vet bills and not quite making ends meet, even using that.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:07 AM

271 posts, read 294,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post

Only if you compare apples to apples. But the smallest houses (at least where I live) have 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a full basement, and a 2-car garage. On a per month basis, they're much more expensive than renting a studio or 1 bed apartment. Sure, your mortgage might be less, but you have to pay for property tax, interest, repairs, maintenance, PMI (no one is putting 20% down anymore), HOA fees...

Old 02-28-2022, 06:20 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I make $30,000 after 9 years in a government job. And since the inflation started, you are correct, I don't have anything left and am struggling to meet my mortgage and vet bills.

Two years ago I was saving a few hundred a month. Now I've had to use much of that savings just to make ends meet after a few car repair bills and vet bills and not quite making ends meet, even using that.
What can you do for additional income - pet sitting, working at a vet on week ends, counter work at businesses open on week ends, ... .?

Old 02-28-2022, 08:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What can you do for additional income - pet sitting, working at a vet on week ends, counter work at businesses open on week ends, ... .?
I'd think looking for a different job may be a better solution than working multiple jobs, especially if those 9 years were spent becoming proficient at something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance