Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:56 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,590,044 times

Advertisements

The Rich Dad series is an excellent read. Just don't buy into his mentoring programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 02:41 PM

692 posts, read 3,145,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post
Most research shows that market timing does MUCH more harm than good for individual investors

Dalbar study shows average equity-fund investor realized an annualized return of 5.32%, compared to 16.29% for the S&P 500 Index (mid 80s to 2000)

Why such a lower return for the investor? Trying to time/move things around

Dalbar - The Measurement of Success
I'll agree that market timming in general is not a very good idea, however, if you go back and check all of Bob Brinkers moves you will find that his timming was synergistic to what the plain vanilla buy and hold market returns were.
It really depends at what point and time you do the check.
All I can say is his long term performance is reflected in my success.
Personally I would not put my investment money in the US market in the form of a Managed Mutual Fund even though Brinker recommends some. I see no reason to pay for the questionable management.
It would go into the Vanguard S&P 500 index fund or their Total Stock Market Fund with no commisions and extremely low expenses or the equivalent ETF.
I realize I am not the averge investor so some of what I say does not apply just to Brinker.

When I look at the 16.29% annualized return for the S&P from 1980 to 2000 it makes me wonder what that will look like during the next 15 years.

If I had sat around on my haunches for the last 15 years in a buy and hold mode I would have increased my portfolio by approx. 244% according to Dalbar.
Because I am more pro-active and actively manage my own accts. I have increased my wealth by approx. 750% in that same time period.
Tech stock boom....Gold....Platium...uranium ...and many others.
Thats also with 50% of my money in fixed income investments for the last several years. Ginny Mae Fund and Laddered CD's

I love to salmon fish and I worked very hard (over 50 years) at perfecting my technique on how and when to catch them. I would be on the water before daylite because I knew that thats when the fish bite the best for the most part.
A large part of the fishermen were just launching their boats as I was pulling out with my limit. Others were just arriving.
Thats how it is in the markets...you have to be there when things are happening and that window can be 5 minutes or less sometimes.
I have calculated my hourly wages just for fun at moments when I hit a big score and wondered how a high school graduate could possibly be making "far more" than the President of the United States at that moment.

Ain't this a Great Country.......

Silverfox

Old 05-23-2008, 03:00 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,566,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
The Rich Dad series is an excellent read. Just don't buy into his mentoring programs.
I'd put his stuff more into the motivational arena as opposed to financial advice. Lots of high level stuff but not much meat unlike most all of the previously named professionals.

Also been some controversy in his books where he presented stories as facts which later appear to be not true - he now indicates they are just stories.

A great motivator of the Quixtar marketing folks I know, but don't see much of him with the serious financial folks I know.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,440 times
There is a service called the congoo netpass, which is a software download. It was in the news just last week.

<a href="http://www.bizblogged.com">BizBlogged - Finance blog, finance,economics,Corporate finance,Personal finance,Investing,Marketing</a>

Old 09-27-2008, 05:18 AM

707 posts, read 1,294,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
For managing your personal long term finances it would be Bob Brinker. I would highly recommend subscribing to his finacial news letter at his web site .com
He has a host of the best possible books to read and a weekly broadcast on Sat and Sun. for 3 hours each day. For your local station check the website.
I have followed the man for 20 years and he is the Real Deal.
Not bragging but I went from an average hard worker to a multi millionaire with a large part of the credit going to his help and recomendations along the way.
You will not be sorry.

Good luck,

Silverfox
I am a big fan of Bob also. I think he can help anyone who is willing to listen. Also can't go wrong reading some of Warren Buffet's books. He is all about value.

Last edited by jimmyP; 09-27-2008 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-25-2008, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,262 times
Default Personal finance

Retirement planning is an essential element of any financial plan. Retirement planning is a comprehensive process for determining how much money you will need when you retire. Retirement planning also helps you identify the best ways to save for retirement given your financial situation.

[url]http://www.bizblogged.com/[/url]

Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,202 times
Try Primerica for ur personal financial needs.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:29 PM

393 posts, read 1,189,484 times
Go to your local community college and take a class on personal finance.
It will cost you less than a bunch of books and magazines that teach you nothing.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:10 PM

298 posts, read 717,052 times
Go to your library an check out books for free. Books have been used to teach pretty much everything to people who take classes. I don't know what logic uber_bwnage is using. Many libraries also have subscriptions to a large variety of periodicals, so you can try out many and choose which ones to buy a subscription to after you've tried them.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 PM

5 posts, read 14,411 times
Subscription to a money magazine is a good practice. It lets you come to know about the latest money related news and topics. But I have subscribed myself to newsletter and blog of manageme7. Basically it is a money management application of which i am a registered member also. manageME7 newsletter and blog provide you with the latest information about money management, personal finance and other finance related topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance