Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 09:41 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Hi, if you were born on 12/6/62 and bought a life insurance policy dated 7/15/1997...would your insurable age at the time the policies were issued be 34 (your actual age) or would it be some other age (like 35) because you would turn 35 during that year etc?

The key phrase here is "insurable age when the policies were issued".

I've looked in my policy and cannot see a definition of this so it must be a standard practice, it would seem to me that 34 would be the correct answer but I'm curious to hear from someone that works in the business extensively.

Thankyou,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 11:43 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
If I were in your shoes, I'd want a completely accurate, reliable answer -- so I would contact my insurance agent and ask him/her. Failing that, I'd contact the company that issued the policy.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:46 PM

434 posts, read 3,178,471 times
I would double check, but I used to work for a life insurance brokerage a while ago. Sometimes to get a slightly cheaper rate if someone just had a birthday or if you were going to have a birthday during the underwriting process we would backdate the policy to the younger age. But you would have to pay the back premiums to the date that you picked on the policy.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:18 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hi, if you were born on 12/6/62 and bought a life insurance policy dated 7/15/1997...would your insurable age at the time the policies were issued be 34 (your actual age) or would it be some other age (like 35) because you would turn 35 during that year etc?

The key phrase here is "insurable age when the policies were issued".

I've looked in my policy and cannot see a definition of this so it must be a standard practice, it would seem to me that 34 would be the correct answer but I'm curious to hear from someone that works in the business extensively.

Thankyou,
Your policy was issued on an attained age basis or ALB, aka Age Last Birthday vs ANB (age nearest birthday); therefore you were rated as a 34 year old. Most life insurance policies are rated on age bands anyway, unless you filled up a very extensive app. Your age then would only be one factor that comes into play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance